Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,421  
Jim,
I, once, tried to order from the valley and got fed up:confused:. The other day, I saw bags of oranges being unloaded at Willis high school. I am gonna ask their
Ag teachers if the FFA is selling fruit and to put me on their mailing list for next year.:thumbsup:
I guess we are gonna have to give you a pass on this and an "E" for effort.:confused3:
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,422  
Charlie: I don't think we are ready for the spring/summer thread yet. We have February yet to go. You just can't trust February in Texas.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Jim-It was just a confused attempt at humor. You have to admit the weather has been all over the place...even for Texas.

I too have found that Feb. can be the most brutal. I got my Kubota in Nov 2010 and in Feb 2011 I was plowing 8 in of snow off my driveway. Yes you can have too much fun.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,423  
I used to have lots of allergy problems with mountain cedar, and my sinuses ran all night long making me wake up to clear my throat. I still have a mild problem, but my doctor suggested Cetirizine hcl. That's the generic form of Zyrtec and is OTC. A bottle of 100 is around $19 at Walmart and $14 at a small pharmacy right beside my clinic. My doctor told me she could write a prescription and I'd only have to pay the copay, but I could also get it OTC. I usually just buy it because it's less hassle than doing the prescription thing and 100 pills at one per day is well over a 3-month supply. Anyhow, the stuff has done a lot to help me. It hasn't cured all the drainage and throat clearing, but it's reduced it to a manageable level.
You can buy a years supply from Costco or Sams club for the same price.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,424  
Jim.
The people in out RV park that want to send some fruit home use Bell's Farm to send fruit home. A couple years ago I had the desire for fresh squeezed orange juice. Went to there store. Sure was good. They sell oranges on every corner down here. Will check what they have when we head your way in April.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,425  
Ron, think we could get a relay system up to get Jim some good TEXAS NAVEL ORANGES this week. I'll volunteer for a mid relay. Of course all the relayers will have to sample to insure quality control - no seeds and sweet.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,426  
2 weeks ago, in College Station SuperWalmart, I saw big sacks of grapefruit on a pallet. Upon further inspection, they were the famous Rio Stars from Texas and I bought a sack. Packed and shipped by Lone Star Citrus Growers out of Mission Texas. Folks, I'm only 52, the grapefruit lineage I remember was 1st ruby reds, then Star Rubys (in the '80s and were great before the big freeze). These Rio Stars are not quite seedless, but have the best flavor I can ever remember eating. I went back and bought another 18lb sack for $7. My whole family will gobble them down quicker than I can cut them up.

So, keep this to yourselves or else they'll sell out before I can get another sack. :)

Correct me if you remember the old grapefruit lineage better than I do. I just remember as a kid they were tart and full of seeds. My mom had to sprinkle sugar on them to eat. We even had grapefruit spoons that were real narrow to dig out the pulp between the cartilage or whatever it's called.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,427  
Ron, think we could get a relay system up to get Jim some good TEXAS NAVEL ORANGES this week. I'll volunteer for a mid relay. Of course all the relayers will have to sample to insure quality control - no seeds and sweet.

You are gonna laugh at me, but I was thinking of a road trip to the valley, but I noticed they were selling oranges and grapefruit from the Valley on the side of the road last week when I went down to see my daughter in Hurst. Suddenly, the fruit are everywhere except in the box I ordered from Pittman & Davis.:rolleyes: I appreciate your offer, Don, but that's really not necessary. I'm just miffed because I thought getting them from the grower would give me the best fruit. I picked a company and picked wrong. That's it in a nutshell.

Ron: I saw Bell's Farms and even considered them. I'll try to order from them next year. I think Pittman & Davis is gonna send me a replacement half-bushel of California Navels. By the time I get those eaten and these Valencias and Tangelos plus the two bushels I got from Pearson Ranch in California, I'm gonna be as 'juiced' as Lance Armstrong.:laughing: I will probably need to back off awhile so I don't burn out on citrus.

Edit: I just went to Bell's Farms and clicked on 'Oranges' to find that they don't sell only oranges online. All orders are grapefruit and they all are VERY expensive when you consider stores all have lots and lots of great grapefruit now. Bell's doesn't even say their oranges are Navel Oranges. Maybe this was a bad year for navels. I just wish somebody at Pittman & Davis would have been honest with me. My angst would have been far less.

Kyle: When I was growing up, we only had the yellow grapefruit. We would take a thin paring knife and cut around the outside of each section after halving the grapefruit. That left the membrane in place and we could dip the sections out with a regular spoon. Of course, we still had to cover them with sugar to keep the sour-pucker-face to a minimum. Even so, I loved grapefruit and my brother hated it. He hated it so badly that before I was born, my mother asked him what he thought they should feed his new little baby brother. He said, "Fruit-grape!" It seems he wanted me to take care of eating the stuff he didn't like. Of course, his answer was a little dyslexic.:D

I do love the Ruby Red grapefruit and was eating them on a regular basis until all the warnings of how they interact with heart medication. I'd love for them to find out that was all an unneeded scare. I peel ruby reds just like oranges and eat them in big 'monster' sections with no sugar or anything else. A big grapefruit is a wonderful breakfast with a tall mug of coffee. Eating oranges for breakfast has helped me shed 65 lb in the last 5-1/2 months. I think I may just take a chance and by a bag of ruby reds. Even before the medicine interaction scare, I was eating them and never noticed anything out of the ordinary. Surely, I can eat a few if I don't get carried away.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,428  
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,429  
Correct me if you remember the old grapefruit lineage better than I do. I just remember as a kid they were tart and full of seeds. My mom had to sprinkle sugar on them to eat. We even had grapefruit spoons that were real narrow to dig out the pulp between the cartilage or whatever it's called.

And we never heard of "red" grapefruit when I was a kid. Incidentally, I still have a couple of those grapefruit spoons. In addition to the shape you mentioned, they have serrated edges to cut the sections out.

I guess ever since I found out about Ruby Reds some years ago, I haven't eaten many of the yellow meated ones. In fact, the ones I got in Arizona in 1990 might have been the last time. And now . . . I've really gotten lazy. The little plastic containers of DelMonte Fruit Naturals Red Grapefruit have no seeds, no skins or membranes, taste delicious, and of course are quite expansive. But they sure are convenient and tasty.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,430  
I mentioned the DelMonte Fruit Naturals Red Grapefruit above. For a long time, it's been $1.25 each for the 7 oz. plastic cups at Kroger's and Walmart; higher other places. But recently both Kroger's and Walmart have come down to $1.00 each. But this morning I saw them at Sam's Club for the first time; a box or 8 for $6.98.

As for the Cetirizine HCL, this morning at Walmart, a bottle of 90 was $19.92, and as you said Jim, 400 (one bottle of 370 and a small bottle of 30 packaged together) was $15.76. I had thought maybe the cheaper ones were a smaller dose, but nope, both 10 mg. so I reckon I have at least a year's supply.:laughing: