Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,481  
You know it! I think its ground temp need to be 70's at night for the coastal to do anything. But its just hard to make descion lately on what to do with the pastures. Desided not to over seed the hay meadows with rye grass so it doesn't set me back on first coastal cutting. Thinking about sprigging another pasture but I have lost grass on the other that I don't know if can hold the cows long enough,and I'm going to be out of hay end of next month. **** if you do,dang'd if you don't...

That winter grass is why I usually would light disc and aerate about every other year 1st week of March, Winter grass gets to thick and tall, it sure seems to slow the coastal down ALLOT (believe it keeps the soil to cool). I also got to where the last 10 years I strictly used liquid fertilizer the 1st time out in March with added 2,4-D added, you couldn't find a weed after the second cutting, just thick beautiful Bermuda:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,482  
We're thankful for the 1/2 inch we got, and there are quite a few big branches and dead trees down but nothing on the fence so far. The wind never slowed down yesterday till about 6pm. It was out of the North and North-West and cooled it down a bunch. 37* this morning. I guess that really wasn't spring that we've had for the last week.

I've always thought Feb was the hardest month to get through in winter. Seems that's when we get snow & Ice........Can anybody say "FT. Worth Fat Stock Show"?

Charlie

#1,483  
Charlie, I would agree about Feb. Usually just when you think we're out of the "winter woods" BAM!!

was 33* here at 10pm last night, right now at 4:45am, its 39.3*:confused3: Have a BIG day today!! going fishing on Lake Texoma, striped bass really been goood lately:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,484  
Charlie, I would agree about Feb. Usually just when you think we're out of the "winter woods" BAM!!

was 33* here at 10pm last night, right now at 4:45am, its 39.3*:confused3: Have a BIG day today!! going fishing on Lake Texoma, striped bass really been goood lately:D

Dennis, I think you need to glance at that thermometer again. This morning it was 25 F here at 7 AM and now is only 33 at 9 AM. I think your thermometer is playin' a joke on you.;)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,485  
Dennis, I think you need to glance at that thermometer again. This morning it was 25 F here at 7 AM and now is only 33 at 9 AM. I think your thermometer is playin' a joke on you.;)
Yep..........as it was 29 here this morning.
hugs, Brandi

#1,486  

Bet your right Jim, must have read 23.3 then. Its one of those exterior monitored atomic clock combo type thingy s, so more accurate than my early morning eyes:laughing:

BUT, I did catch some fish!!:D

0131131114_zps5d9f33f4.jpg

0131131643_zpsa2fdd1ec.jpg

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,488  
Bet your right Jim, must have read 23.3 then. Its one of those exterior monitored atomic clock combo type thingy s, so more accurate than my early morning eyes:laughing:

BUT, I did catch some fish!!:D

Nice stripers, where did you catch those at?

#1,489  
Good catch!

Nice stripers, where did you catch those at?

Thanks guys, not sure who caught who, was a wonderful fight though!:laughing: My neighbor and I went to lake Texoma. I hired guide JD Lyle, so I could learn the winter fishing pattern and "deadsticking", fished many years in the Spring and Summer for Striper, but not so much winter time.

Texoma is "Hot" right now, if you know what to do.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,490  
Thanks guys, not sure who caught who, was a wonderful fight though!:laughing: My neighbor and I went to lake Texoma. I hired guide JD Lyle, so I could learn the winter fishing pattern and "deadsticking", fished many years in the Spring and Summer for Striper, but not so much winter time.

Texoma is "Hot" right now, if you know what to do.

Yeah it's always best to have a guide at Texoma.
They have good stripers at Ray Hubbard this time of year by the power plant.