Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,531  
1.8 inches total, some small hail, some wind, will have to see if more trees are on the fence.
Well, for once, there was a tiny red spot right over us, for a short while.
No puddles, all soaked in with small runoff...haven't looked at tanks yet but don't expect them to be up more than a couple of inches.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,532  
1.8 inches total, some small hail, some wind, will have to see if more trees are on the fence.
Well, for once, there was a tiny red spot right over us, for a short while.
No puddles, all soaked in with small runoff...haven't looked at tanks yet but don't expect them to be up more than a couple of inches.

That is a great amount! I bet you got a bit in the ponds. Last big rain we had, I didn't think I got any run-off either, but I had almost 18" in my little tank. Of course it shows up better in a little 75' across pond.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,533  
I got exactly 1 inch and it came in a downpour. Heard it coming down hard and fell into a deeper sleep.
Never did hear any thunder.
Texas John,
Do you know what the adjustments do for an offset disc. I hope to hear from an Amco dealer this week. The closest is over an hour from here in Bryan.

Dennis,
You'll want a bigger shop once you start putting stuff in it! This disc has to be a few years old. It was yellow, then painted green. It has Spanish words scratched into the paint saying what I think are bearing part numbers. There is an old weld on the hitch mount bkt. along with a major weld repair on the aft right center frame corner. One disc spacer has a very sloppy weld. So it has gotten around in the dirt a few times. Small aircraft tires usually have at least a 60 mph rating. Right now it has one car or truck tire on it and one 3 groove tire. I will have to think about tires after I find another two hubs and one axle spindle, which are missing. I know it will be pulled down the road a lot, as the discs hits the ramps and metal dovetail when loading and unloading. Since it hangs over about 3 inches on each side of the trailer, I would want to put plywood under the discs if I did put it back on the trailer.

Jim,
So sorry you only got 1/3 inch of rain. Of all of us, you need it the most to fill your new ponds. I know we all here want to see what they look like full. Most things that are easy to sale are usually worth more to the owner. This disc is one of them. I'd get a bigger tractor before selling it.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,534  
yes...assuming you have the same adjustments as are on my disc (a JD), there are the following.

..an adjustment to change the angle of the discs in relation to forward motion. Straight ahead hardly cuts at all, big angle moves a lot of dirt and takes LOTS of horsepower if soil is soft and discs sink to axle. Experiment with these for your soil type, moisture, trash on surface, etc...

..a spring adjustment which can and should be set to have the disc be level as it is pulled forward. Different tractors have drawbars at different heights and this helps adjust for your tractor.

There is likely a catch you can set so the disc stays on its tires when the hydraulics are disconnected.

also, likely a stop for the hydraulic cylinder so you can only lift the tires so much off the ground...this sets the depth of cut...or you can remove the stop and lift the tires entirely off the ground, thus putting the entire weight of the disc, including tires, on the ground and thus providing maximum weight on each individual disc for dirt working. It is this setting that some people are concerned about your tractor's ability to maintain traction in soft soil as the discs cut and the axle nears the ground.

Here is the net description with some brief description of the various F42 features
AMCO MANUFACTURING, INC. ~Primary tillage tools, Farm implements and equipment

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,535  
Thanks Texasjohn. My cylinder will not lift the disc high enough on the wheel to pin the wheel downlock hole. It is about 2.5 inches off. Also, the cylinder will not pull the wheels up high enough to the hole where I can lock the wheels fully up. There is one wheel downlock hole and one about 2.5 inches from it. There is one wheel uplock hole. Earlier I was wrong. The cylinder moves the wheels down to about 1 & 1/8th inch from the full down lock hole.
I have 4 holes that can adjust the offset or "V". Right now it is in the third hole. The 4th hole making it more a "V" and the 1st hole making the front and rear gang more parellel. I pulled this evening after dark and got up to 5th gear. Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,536  
might consider getting a longer cylinder....you are going to want to pin the wheel down for sure

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,537  
might consider getting a longer cylinder....you are going to want to pin the wheel down for sure

I can pin it in the second hole for transpost, but not for going on and off the trailer. Trailer loading needs it on that 1st hole. The cylinder stroke is 8 inches, right what online specs say should be on it. I am baffled. I'll play more with it next Friday. Thanks a bunch.
hugs, Brandi

#1,538  
Brandi, Is there an alternative mounting hole for the cylinder? Some one may have shortened it if they used oversize tires at some time. Some cylinders have 1 or 2 mounting holes on both mount ends, if that makes sense. I'm assuming your getting the full length out of the cylinder shaft right?, I know if I inadvertently hooked my Hydraulic lines up backwards on my 20' off set, I could still get lift, but no where like when connected properly. (stabbing at straws from 200 miles away):eek:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,539  
Dennis,
Here are three photos of the wheel lock mechanism, the cylinder, and the leveling mechanism,the cylinder, and the wheel lock mechanism. The remote moves the lock mechanism far enough to reach the second hole from the left or forward end. I cannot move the mechanism far enough with the remote and cylinder to go to either the most aft hole or most forward hole. The cylinder is going it's full stroke of 8 inches.
hugs, Brandi
2-11-13 Offset Disc Leveling Mechanism.jpg2-11-13 Offset Disc Cylinder.jpg2-11-13 Offset Disc wheel lock mechanism.jpg

#1,540  
Will tightening that bar link make any difference? 8" sure seams like a short stoke for that monster, mine was almost double that, but cant remember 100%. I know I could push the wheels down until the wheel base was vertical (reference photo 3) this got the blades up off the ground pretty good.

Brandi, not knocking your equipment, but there looks to be several points of repair (normal), it may be possible someone changed the ideal set up in the field to get a job done. I wonder if it's possible to get a detali photo of a new one that model or maybe a detail drawing??