Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,541  
I see two things.
One pin has a bolt thru it. Could as easily be a lynch pin. If so, then that pin is made for occasional easy removal without tools. Perhaps the geometry changes just enough if you remove that pin and manual link out of the way when not under pressure to allow the full throw from first to last hole. Just a thought.

Also, the manual adjustable leveling link has obviously been replaced...It has been cut down and welded to the ends...perhaps it's length is incorrect?

Perhaps you have already tried the above, if so, then I, too, am stumped. The photos should allow someone to figure it out.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,542  
Will tightening that bar link make any difference? 8" sure seams like a short stoke for that monster, mine was almost double that, but cant remember 100%. I know I could push the wheels down until the wheel base was vertical (reference photo 3) this got the blades up off the ground pretty good.

Brandi, not knocking your equipment, but there looks to be several points of repair (normal), it may be possible someone changed the ideal set up in the field to get a job done. I wonder if it's possible to get a detali photo of a new one that model or maybe a detail drawing??

Dennis,
8 inch stroke is what the new one has. With a pin in the first hole, the wheel struts are about straight down. I got the pin in by lifting the rear of the disc up wit the wheels off the ground with my loader. I sent the last three photos to two dealers within two hours of me. I hope to hear something from them in a day or two.
I realized older equipment needs repairs. Sometimes major. Heavy duty equipment can go on forever. Where as in my work.......old, wore out airlines go to the bone yard.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,543  
I see two things.
One pin has a bolt thru it. Could as easily be a lynch pin. If so, then that pin is made for occasional easy removal without tools. Perhaps the geometry changes just enough if you remove that pin and manual link out of the way when not under pressure to allow the full throw from first to last hole. Just a thought.

Also, the manual adjustable leveling link has obviously been replaced...It has been cut down and welded to the ends...perhaps it's length is incorrect?

Perhaps you have already tried the above, if so, then I, too, am stumped. The photos should allow someone to figure it out.

Texas John,
I started turning that turnbuckle adjustment to lengthen that link and move that (what looks like) a bellcrank or swinging link to push the cylinder further aft, but stopped to see if moving the disc helped. You can tell in the photo how much I lengthened it. Guess I need to take that link in front of the cylinder apart to picture the monkey motion there. The photo below shows the other side of the leveling mechanism. As you can see the pins look as to be never removed. At least the paint seems unbothered. Once I take that "swing" link apart to see the geometry of the design, I might see how that spring adjustment affects it. Also the turnbuckle looks like both ends were welded. Maybe a shorter turnbuckle was installed?

Dennis and TexasJohn,
Thanks for Y'all help in troubleshooting it.
hugs, Brandi
2-11-13 Leveling Mechanism viewed from right side.jpg

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,544  
I see what you mean.
Am stumped....maybe you will learn more when you fool with it further. I'm thinking it doesn't take much distance at the hydraulic connections to make a big difference in how the wheels act...

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,545  
I see what you mean.
Am stumped....maybe you will learn more when you fool with it further. I'm thinking it doesn't take much distance at the hydraulic connections to make a big difference in how the wheels act...

TexasJohn,
I'm gonna take that turnbuckle and that swing link apart this weekend. At least I will know how many threads are left when I crank it out. I'll sprayed all those bolts with penetrating oil, so it should be easy off.............right? Yeah right!
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,546  
A cheater bar and a pipe wrench can sometimes be your best friend.:D

50% rain tonight...we'll see...if we do get any significant amount, should be some runoff this time.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,547  
Brandi, I'm sure not knocking your new "toy", I just think it's been field fixed enough that something is "askew" :laughing: Louis Black word)

I really wonder if that is the right turn buckle as I mentioned before, Just doesn't have the robust look to match the rest of the disk, or it was severely altered, that may explain the weld on both ends.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,548  
Well, I emptied out my rain gage after the last storm, and this morning it has 3/4" in it. Woohoo! I'm doin' a happy dance.:cool2: With any luck, a few more showers will come across and give me round inch. It's glorious to look out and see puddles other than at the bottom of my sad little ponds.:rolleyes:

As waves of rain came over last night, each wave seemed to contain lots of pea-sized hail. We got some rumbles and a few flashes of lightning, but almost no wind at all. It was really the perfect rainstorm. I'll put my 'order' in for one-a-day like that for the next week.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,549  
I guess it's your turn, Jim. The NWS shows that Denton has gotten .16" and my gauge might have as much as a tenth of an inch, but we're still getting a very light rain.:) I cleaned out the rain gutters yesterday, so I'm glad for any amount we get.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,550  
Bird, I guess this is one that Delkus got right on Channel 8 Weather last night. He showed us getting 1/2" to 1" and the rest of the metroplex getting far less. I think you're still ahead of me for the total of the last two storms anyhow.