Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,561  
A chain of preventable acts leads to death.

#1: follow a strange car driving on your road at 2:00 A. M
#2: flash lights pull vehicle over
#3: stop on Hwy, part on road part on shoulder
#4: confront strange vehicle
#5: not alert to traffic

My cousin witnessed his wife's death the other night in an auto/pedestrian accident. The truck did not stop to render aid. May she RIP.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,562  
Don, what a shame; what a waste. You have to ask yourself what she was thinking and hoped to accomplish? You and your family have my condolences.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,563  
Gosh Don,
Sadness prevails. What is your cousin's name. I want to add him in my prayers.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,564  
I posted in the 'Good Morning' thread that I saw a robin yesterday in a cedar tree near my seasonal creek/ditch. Has anyone else in this area or even in Central Texas seen any robins? I always see robins appearing and India Hawthorne blooming to be harbingers of springtime. I have 25 small tulips sprouting too if the deer don't get them. (AARGH! My wife just came in and said the deer had a field day with our tulips last night.:(:(:() My bluebonnets took a bit of a hit from the dry weather, but seem to be coming back. They probably won't be as thick as in previous years, but I should have a healthy crop if the weather cooperates.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,565  
Don that is horrible, prayers for the husband and family for sure. Hope they catch the driver too, I think whomever is/was at fault isn't an issue now, catching the person and learning a lesson is only thing that can been done at this point.

Jim, I saw several Robins Tuesday, moved through pretty quick. Have a pair of bluebirds hanging out around the house agian. Since we put up the BB house they have been here for 3 years.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,566  
I haven't seen a robin yet, and very few birds of any kind around the bird feeder lately. But with the rain and warm weather lately, I decided I'd better start working on the yard. So yesterday, I mowed, edged, trimmed, and dethatched; mowing it pretty short, and filled 10 big, heavy contractor bags with clippings. I only intended to do part of the backyard, since a couple of hours a day is usually about my limit nowadays, but once started, I kept going and did it all in about four and a half to five hours. And last night, I hurt all over.:eek: But I think I'm recovering pretty well today.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,567  
Bird I was wondering when you where going to break down and start youe Spring chores, I have been putting off "shaving" my yard, when I think its going to warm up, a freeze jumps into the mix.

Try a thistle seed sock, I have one out and need to get a couple more. The finches are tearing the thistle up right now, fun to watch and somewhat tolerable of us humans sitting on the porch 10' away.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,568  
Bird I was wondering when you where going to break down and start youe Spring chores, I have been putting off "shaving" my yard, when I think its going to warm up, a freeze jumps into the mix.

Try a thistle seed sock, I have one out and need to get a couple more. The finches are tearing the thistle up right now, fun to watch and somewhat tolerable of us humans sitting on the porch 10' away.

This weather is the reason I kept going yesterday when it got up to 67 degrees, and now supposed to get cold again. I've already bought the Scotts Turf Builder, so the next time the forecast calls for a decent rain, I'll put that out. Otherwise, I'll probably wait another couple of weeks.

I'll have to remember to get the thistle seed; finches are always pretty to watch.

Incidentally, we think of Robins being a harbinger of Spring. But I've read that some Robins migrate while others stay in the same area year round. When we bought the place in Navarro County, I took possession on December 30, 1994. My wife was staying a few days with a daughter who needed some help when she got out of the hospital, and the old mobile home on the property was a terrible mess. So I was staying in the motorhome in the driveway and working on the old mobile home and the shop all day every day. And the last couple of days of December and first couple of days of January, we had more Robins than I've ever seen at one time. One evening, I went out to the motorhome, and sat there and counted 54 just in the front yard. We had lots of Robins every year, but never again as many as that time.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,569  
I agree Western. The vehicle was either an 18 wheeler or a larger pickup hauling a trailer, probably the kind of pickup with the long extending mirrors - because of the injury.

Jim, I read you GM post and looked outside and saw a flock of about 20 robins by the tractor shed.
Yesterday the fragrance hit us first when we walked by our wild plum patch and we looked up and about half of the trees are in bloom and bees galore!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,570