Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,651  
wind 30 MPH steady, 40mph or better gusts.
the dust from plowed land is very visible, our own dust bowl right now
any moisture gone with the wind:thumbdown:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,652  
Big, B-I-G snowflakes are falling outside my house. It's 36.5 degrees, so they aren't sticking. My deck is wetter from the snowfall than this morning's rainfall.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,653  
Yep, with any luck, you may not need another excavator to get your dead trees down.:thumbsup:

:laughing: I was thinking the same thing! I actually dug a little with the FEL so the rain I thought we would get, could get in the root ball.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,654  
Got Lucky today. With the wind gusting to 50mph I had a member of our VFD call me to ask me if I see any smoke and that a VFD 9 miles away had been dispatch to MY STREET! I did not see smoke but I knew the wind would be keeping the smoke low. I also knew something was messed up when the closest two fire departments were not notified. I took off down my street and found the other VFD at the intersection looking for a DPS officer that had called it in and they just had the last name of the persons place (given to them wrong) but I knew the name of a person with a similar name and told them to follow me. We found the DPS officer at the gate and he directed us up a private road, around a pond and through a gate there a grass fire was burning. When I got out of my pick-up I almost got blown over by the wind and knew we had very little time to control this fire before we would have another Bastrop fire. We got it under control only a 1/2 acre burned but we spent the next 2 hours making sure all the tiniest sparks were out. The fire was one mile UPWIND from my house! Close call. Cause of the fire: Power lines arching while being whipped into a tree by the wind.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,656  
Thanks John, the wind is still roaring outside. I'm going now to take a quick drive over to where the fire was just to make sure.....the wind was blowing so hard while we were there that a little whiff of smoke could go undetected for a while.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,657  
Don, glad you guys were on it so fast or it would have been a whole other story.

Lot's of wind and NO RAIN in this part of East Texas.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,658  
You know its pretty windy when it can rock a fully loaded dump truck.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,659  
Don, Glad you caught the fire in time.
Wind was nasty here in the RGV. Wife and I will be cleaning up all the dust/dirt that blew down from the north into our motorhome all day today.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,660  
Jim, what would you take for one of those clean barrels? Are the 55 gal, 35 gal or what? I am looking to convert one into a wood burning stove with the adapter they sell at Tractor Supply. I think it is made by US Stove Company. Moving to Hugo, OK in a couple of months, but still in Lakeside, Tx off Hwy 199 near Lake Worth currently.
Sam