Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,711  
Bird, I tried the search function to find the "Texas Spring/Summer" thread I thought you'd started, never found it???

Was thinking since so many are gearing up for Spring, planting, (Jim's already going strong) yard chores ect, tra. might be time to dust that thread off and start it back up? what do you think? I know you can find it, you probably know the date and time it was started:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,712  
It's 38.8 F here this morning after a night of doormat-movin' wind. It was stuffy when we went to bed and is chilly this morning. What else would you expect from Texas?:)

They are topping our road with gravel again. That's the Wise County end. The first 1/4 mi in Montague County is hopeless.

I got my sweet peas planted yesterday (2 x 75' rows). My asparagus is really starting to pop out of the ground, but the spears are kinda purple and have a little of a bitter taste, though very good otherwise. I think this is the weather making them grow slowly and that's why they look a bit different. I fertilized the beds a bit and watered it in along with doing the same to my 560 onions and two rows of peas. I decided to wait another week before planting beans just to be sure I don't catch a frost on the young sprouts. Peas can handle some cold/frost, but beans frost-burn if you have a heavy frost.

I got my dirt smoothing and spreading done. I hooked my two spring-tooth harrow sections behind my Kawasaki Mule and started going in circles to spread the dirt.

DirtSmooth-1.jpg

The area where I'm spreading; I've had topsoil on most of it for several months and it has a hard surface. Last weekend and last week, I hauled about 30 more yards of topsoil to cover the flat area and the lip of the drop-off. I keep a ridge on the drop-off to the ponds because I don't want water running over and rutting/eroding away the fresh fill dirt.

DirtSmooth-2.jpg
DirtSmooth-3.jpg

The job proved too much for the Kawasaki Mule. I thought about these horse-drawn harrows and wondered how many times they had been pulled by real horses or mules.:) On the flat area, the Mule did fine, but 4wd proved not as good as 4-hoof drive on rough and uneven areas. I decided to switch to my tractor and not take a chance on damaging the Mule after I was turning and went up on a pile of loose dirt with the left front wheel. All of a sudden, my accelerator stuck ( I think a clod held it full). The Mule lurched forward, and I reached up to shift to neutral. With my foot holding the brake, I quickly shifted out of low range, but went past neutral and straight into reverse. The Mule lurched backwards; even with the brake as hard as I could push it. So, I quickly turned OFF the key, but not before the Mule ran over the edge of the harrow. Even with the key OFF, the Mule continued to diesel from the gas pedal being all the way to the floor. After the engine finally died, I reach down to pull the pedal back and it came back easily with my hand. I got off the Mule and inspected for damage and saw none. Only a corner of the harrow was under the Mule, so I pulled the harrow out and disconnected. I started the Mule and it drove right out like nothing had happened. I drove it around a bit and all was normal. I figured I'd dodged the bullet and better use the right tool. I parked the Mule and brought over my tractor.

DirtSmooth-4.jpg

Sometimes new technology is great, but sometimes the old technology is so good it will bring tears to your eyes. This spring-tooth harrow behind my tractor worked like magic. After several passes, the ground smoothed right out. I don't think I know of any better tool that isn't PTO powered. The harrow worked especially well since there were few grass roots in the soil. It even picked rocks and brought them to the surface.

DirtSmooth-5.jpg
DirtSmooth-6.jpg

After the harrow, I unrolled some old chainlink fencing until I had a small roll on the end and wired it so it would not fully unroll. I just placed a bale of hay in front of the rear roll of chainlink and dragged the area to smooth it out in preparation for grass seeding. The chainlink also worked perfectly. It was a very good afternoon of enjoyable work on a BEAUTIFUL day.:D

DirtSmooth-7a.jpg
DirtSmooth-8.jpg
DirtSmooth-9.jpg

Now ya'll get out there and enjoy this wonderful Texas springtime weather.:thumbsup:

#1,713  
Jim, I went out,then back in:laughing: Not sure what I can do today with this wind, I swear I saw some of your rocks blow by!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,714  
I'm still working on tuning up my broadcast sprayer for whenever this wind dies down. My po-boy foam marker does amazingly well now. Installing solenoid cutoff valve. Will be pulling 300 gal rig with RTV. Fixing it so I can cut everything on/off from seat. Love my workshop for staying productive and out of the wind.

Wish I was all caught up like Western with nothing left to do but wait for good weather to sit on the tractor.!

#1,715  
I'm still working on tuning up my broadcast sprayer for whenever this wind dies down. My po-boy foam marker does amazingly well now. Installing solenoid cutoff valve. Will be pulling 300 gal rig with RTV. Fixing it so I can cut everything on/off from seat. Love my workshop for staying productive and out of the wind.

Wish I was all caught up like Western with nothing left to do but wait for good weather to sit on the tractor.!

:laughing: I do have a "weird" schedule, but I am currently working on this summers contract jobs. The peace and quite wont last much longer:D I have plenty I need to do, been taking down the rest of the old garden fence and moving it to the new spot, wind has dirt blowing everywhere!!

My problem is, I have $ when I dont have time and time when I dont have $:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,716  
Understand , my schedule is weird too. Called retired and busier than before:) I run out of energy sometimes....and spend my down time looking thru Craig's list...yesterday a couple had an ex son in law and ex landscaper skip out on them leaving lots of lawn sprinkler supplies including maybe 50 sprinkler heads, 30 sticks of PVC pipe, lots of other stuff. For free, just get it gone. I managed to find time to make a road trip with the wife to pick it up....on a beautiful spring day! Still have to sort thru it all, it was in a BOG jumble...filled two 50 gal wheeled garbage cans with it.

:laughing: I do have a "weird" schedule, but I am currently working on this summers contract jobs. The peace and quite wont last much longer:D I have plenty I need to do, been taking down the rest of the old garden fence and moving it to the new spot, wind has dirt blowing everywhere!!

My problem is, I have $ when I dont have time and time when I dont have $:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,717  
Jim, I went out,then back in:laughing: Not sure what I can do today with this wind, I swear I saw some of your rocks blow by!!

It is biting for sure even though the temperature on the thermometer says it's mild out. We went to Sam's in Denton today after I got out of the VA clinic in Bridgeport where I had blood drawn for tests before an appt next week. The wind almost blew me off of Hwy 380 since it was a crosswind.

Bird, I stopped in at the new Denton Harbor Freight store while there. Before I could get out, I'd spent $228.:eek: It's all your fault for telling me about the store.;)

The road crew is in front of my house right now. They are putting down about 6" of fresh gravel on our road. They are watering it down and rolling it in really well. Just because I have an open area with no fence, I've seen them circle in there with their grader. To ensure they stay away, I put up a sign that says, "BLUEBONNET AREA - Please Keep Off." I knew I'd be a nervous wreck with worrying about my bluebonnets being destroyed, so I put up the sign and drew a couple of smiley faces on it so they'd know I meant well. So far, they are staying away and I'm happy.:)

#1,718  
John, you scored good on the sprinkler "stuff" few hundred, bucks I'd bet.

Thing where going pretty good, then a hyd. hose busted on my tractor,,grrr. I haven't been around a broke hyd hose for over 15 years, now 2 in a week:laughing: Guess it;s my turn, just hope someone close has the one I need.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,719  
I put soaker hoses around the foundation of my house last year, then put them away for the winter. So a few days ago, I got them back out. They're all the same length and I noticed last year that one was way too long and another a bit too short. So yesterday, I went to Home Depot and got some fittings, cut the long one and put a new fitting on it, then cut the end off the short one and spliced in the surplus from the long one.

I also gathered up a dozen brass water hose quick couplers, left them in a pan of CLR for awhile, then washed them with water, blew the excess water out of them with compressed air, then sprayed them with WD-40 so I think everything is ready to use again.

But unfortunately, my 7+ year old air compressor's pressure regulator/gauge was leaking and I couldn't stop it. So I took it off, stopped at Home Depot for an elbow and nipple to route the air outlet angled down instead of horizontal, and not leave the regulator on the compressor. I suspect the problem was a little moisture, and the fact that the regulator is so rarely used; e.g., turned down instead of left wide open. Then I went to Northern Tool for a new regulator/gauge and quick couplers, so I can now put the regulator in the line at the compressor, or elsewhere, but leave it put away unless I'm going to use the paint gun or brad/staple gun. 99% or more of what I do with the compressor is full pressure anyway.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,720  
With any purchase of bird food Tractor Supply is throwing in a free bird feeder with coupon. I put it up two days ago and the finches found it! We also have a ton of Robins out here and today I finally found out why - we have tons of youpon berries that they like. Makes me smile.:)

Attachments

• finch.jpg
    finch.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 77
  • robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 74