Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,731  
Honestly, Brandi, you set that up so perfectly that I just could not resist.:mischievous:

Yeah....we would have made a good vaudleville team.:laughing::laughing::laughing:
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,732  
Coming back from Texoma this afternoon on US82 between Gainesville and Whitesboro, there was a guy burning a HUGE pile of trees by the highway, I was going to try and get a photo, but had my boat on. There was a man and woman on the property downwind and they had what looked like a camcorder? not sure.

Burning today is insane, dry and winds up to 30mph!!

Good chance of rain Saturday though, bring it on!!!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,733  
I had intended to grill a couple of salmon fillets on the gril today, but it was windy enough that I decided to broil them in the kitchen instead.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,734  
Well I had to bite the bullet and buy the wife a new vehicle. Its what she picked.. cassies%20truck.jpg
Got a HEMI in it:D

Attachments

• IMG-20130307-00184.jpg
    IMG-20130307-00184.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 78
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,735  
Coming back from Texoma this afternoon on US82 between Gainesville and Whitesboro, there was a guy burning a HUGE pile of trees by the highway, I was going to try and get a photo, but had my boat on. There was a man and woman on the property downwind and they had what looked like a camcorder? not sure.

Burning today is insane, dry and winds up to 30mph!!

Good chance of rain Saturday though, bring it on!!!!

The wind had died down yesterday afternoon and the wife and I decided to sit out on the deck and enjoy the evening when a neighbor down the road called and asked if we smelled smoke and did we know that the neighbor on my west was burning his pasture. That's right, burning his pasture not just burning brush.

We quickly got up and headed out there and sure enough he had 15 or so acres already burned and the fire line was heading toward my fence line (a wooded area) and he was in the process of discing a fire break along my fence line. His son was on a ATV with a small spray unit and was spraying water to stop the fire along the south side.

Minimum I thougth he should have cut the fire breaks before he struck a match, and he should have notified his neighbors that he was going to burn. This guy has pulled stuff like this before and I don't think he's going to change.

We've got some good neighbors but then there are some that are totally clueless. We called the VFD and they showed up about the time he had the flames doused, but we found out later that the VFD had been called out earlier about noon and that still didn't stop the guy. It's a scary situation as we're pretty dry and have a lot of dead-fall in our wooded areas.

I hope this is not a preview of the summer we are fixin' to have.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,736  
.... but we found out later that the VFD had been called out earlier about noon and that still didn't stop the guy. It's a scary situation as we're pretty dry and have a lot of dead-fall in our wooded areas.

Charlie

Some people have no common sense (AKA experience). The VFD like mine has no authority to enter property and extinguish a controlled burn unless there is a burn ban or at the request of a owner or a 911 caller if no one is present. Sometimes I would like government interference that would require a burn permit which would require a private insured company to be there to control a control burn and notification of neighbors.

You got me thinking - Does a VFD have a defense to prosecution of the trespass laws when there is no burn ban but the TX forest service has issued a red flag day????? I'll have to check into that.

edit : I did find out that "A burn ban does not have to be in place for outdoor burning to be illegal. Negligently allowing a fire to escape onto someone else’s property is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $500". http://www.kbtx.com/news/headlines/...tdoor_Burning_Can_Be_Dangerous_118772434.html

Factors that would convince the DA that the fire setter was negligent:
-Check for – and comply with – bans on outdoor burning.
-Avoid burning trash, leaves and brush on dry, windy days.
-Check to see if weather changes are expected. Postpone outdoor burning if shifts in wind direction, high winds or wind gusts are forecast.
-Before burning, establish wide control lines around burn barrels – down to bare mineral soil and at least 5 feet wide. Control lines should be even wider around brush and debris piles to be burned. The larger the pile, the wider the control line needed to ensure embers won’t spread and catch surrounding vegetation on fire.
-Stay with all outdoor fires, until they are completely out.
-Keep water and hand tools ready in case your fire begins to spread.
-Burn household trash only in a burn barrel or other trash container equipped with a screen or metal grid to keep burning material contained.
-Never attempt to burn aerosol cans, as heated cans will explode. -Flying metal may cause injuries and the explosion may scatter burning material into nearby vegetation, resulting in wildfire.
-Stay abreast of wildfire danger levels and heed warnings and bans on outdoor burning.

I have to get hold of the TFS about red flag days but it looks like if we are stopped by the owner we just call the sheriff and as soon as it crosses the fence line request the owner/fire setter be arrested.

Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,737  
This is what's posted on our counties web page (Wise Co)

BURN BAN INFORMATION

ï½· Burn Ban Issued December 10, 2012

ï½· Historically, Wise County has averaged thirteen (13) Red Flag days per year. Red Flag Warnings are issued when fire condition become so extreme, that any wildfire is predicted to be beyond the control of the initial responding fire department.

ï½· To determine if there is a Red Flag Warning, please visit the National Weather Service website NWS ,or call the Wise County Sheriffç—´ Office at 940-627-5971. To report a burn ban violation, simply dial 9-1-1.

ï½· Anytime you engage in outdoor burning, we ask that that you call the Sheriffç—´ Office at 940-627-5971 and log the burn. This will help 9-1-1 dispatchers determine whether to send the fire department if a fire is reported at your address.

ï½· Citizens should understand that it may be illegal, and unsafe, to engage in outdoor burning even when a Red Flag Warning has not been issued. All outdoor burning must comply with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) rules, and incorporated cities may have ordinances that you must comply with. To view TCEQ rules go to http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/legal/rules/rules/pdflib/111b.pdf

ï½· Complaints about outdoor burning should be filed with TCEQ by calling 817-588-5800 (ask for an Open Burning Investigator), or online at Report an Environmental Problem to TCEQ - Redirect

ï½· Citizens should understand the following liabilities when engaging in outdoor burning:

o Violation of a Burn Ban Order can result in a fine up to $500.

o Violation of TCEQ rules may result in one (1) year in jail and a fine up to $4,000.

o A fire that damages property belonging to another (e.g. a grass fire that crosses a property line) can result in a fine up to $500, and court ordered restitution.

o Outdoor burning that results in death, injury, or damages a building belonging to another may result in two (2) years in state jail, a fine up to $10,000 and court ordered restitution.

o A court may find that you have additional criminal and civil liability.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,738  
Don, those are some very good rules. I wish everyone followed them. I've seen lots of brush piles burning within a few miles of my house with nobody in sight. They just seem to light the pile and leave it. I have another rule to add to your list. It's not on any legal document, but should be.

Jim's Rule: DO NOT burn fireworks trash/leftovers. Dig a hole and bury them. Sometimes the 'cakes' with multilple shots will have cells that are duds and it is not obvious. Even in a burn barrel, those can produce a huge double explosion of flame like aerosol cans.

The first year I had fireworks, I burned my trash. Several of the Roman candles had not completely finished. I had two or three go off in the burn barrel. Those were startling, but mostly contained by the barrel. Midway through the burn, I heard a huge bang and sparks went everywhere. That was followed by another bang that blew live ashes out the burn barrel and again sprayed sparks everywhere within 30'. Somehow a 500 gram cake with a dud load was in there. The cake shell had two explosions. The first was the propelling charge that was supposed to launch it and the 2nd was the decorative charge that spewed sparks all out the top of my burn barrel. I almost wet my britches when that thing went off. Now, I bury the trash. I don't know if it is legal or not, but I won't even send that stuff to the dumpsite.

EDIT: One thing to add. I called the Wise Co. Sheriff to report a burn about a year ago. They told me that burning treated lumber was prohibited.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,739  
The problem with this guy is that his family has been here for 5 generations and he's just a Reprobate (DA). Every Village is suppose to have one, I guess.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,740  
The problem with this guy is that his family has been here for 5 generations and he's just a Reprobate (DA). Every Village is suppose to have one, I guess.

Charlie

You're right Charlie. Some of us are lucky enough to have three or four of those living around us. Unattended trash burning on windy days is what we see the most. We had a guy burning brush let the fire get out, leaving it untended and then went to work. When we saw the fire spreading to the woods, I ran and dragged water hoses from his house to put out the fire while my wife called the VFD. I was able to keep the fire away from his house, but couldn't fight all of it because of limited hose. The VFD arrived quickly and extinguished the remaining fire. The guy tried to tell us that his ex-girlfriend must have come over and set the fire.:rolleyes: That didn't wash because we had seen him burning the day before he left to go to work on the evening shift. If we had not been watchful, his house and half the country/woods would have burned.