Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,741  
I know what you mean. I turned the heater on Sat. evening and nothing happened. I thought those strong winds blew the pilot out. Tried to light it 3 times and it kept going out. Tank says 20 %. Banged on the guage. Still read 20 % Stove burners work fine. Gotta call the A/C- Heating buy later today.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi, hope you got the heater fixed.may need it next day or so.

I'm surprised by your post and Brandi's. I was so warm yesterday that I was sweating. We even opened a bedroom window last night because it only got down to the mid-50s overnight. I suppose my gardening may have got me warmed up. I was actually sweating enough that I had to clean my glasses a couple of times from sweat running off my forehead. After doing my garden, I hauled topsoil for awhile and was still very warm on my tractor even though I wasn't as active as before. I only had on a long-sleeve t-shirt, no jacket.

I'd love to go to San Antonio and see Travis's Letter, but probably won't make it. I sure wish they had extended that showing through spring break. There are lots of people like me who would take children and grandchildren to see that document and experience some real Texas history.

Jim, I wish they had kept it on display longer also. I really hope everyone can have the chance to stand inside the Alamo and read Travis' letter. There is something very moving about it. Can't really describe it. You have to experience it.

The Alamo truly is The Shrine of Texas Liberty.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,742  
Brandi, hope you got the heater fixed.may need it next day or so.

Twobitscore,
Nope. A guy at work says it sounds like a bad thermocouple. Gonna tough out the few nights of cold weather and try to fix it myself. But I will have a heater "expert" give it an inspection before firing it back up.
Back on March 9th, Jinman moved us back to the Spring/Summer thread. You can see it here........http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/237303-texas-spring-summer-thread-74.html
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,743  
I really hope everyone can have the chance to stand inside the Alamo and read Travis' letter. There is something very moving about it. Can't really describe it. You have to experience it.

The Alamo truly is The Shrine of Texas Liberty.

Haven't seen Travis' letter, but have been fortunate enough to visit the Alamo quite a few times. The first time was in 1962 and the last in 2005.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,744  
For those of you who haven't been to Presidio la Bahia in Goliad, it is an exceptional experience. Restored using archelogical and historical evidence to its state just before the massacre, one can wander the museum and grounds at a leisurely pace, typically not too crowded. A little known Texas treasure.

Disclosure, restoration funded by a relative of mine years ago. I coauthored a book about it

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,746  
That's a part of our State I have not seen, but would like to visit.
Presidio la Bahia in Goliad. I have got to see that. Along with all the missions in the Mission Trail in San Antonio.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,747  
both the presidio (fort) and the mission associated with it cover a big city block each, separated by river. both completely open to public. FAR more to see than at the Alamo. Book I did chronicles the 15 years prior to Texas Revolution up to 2 weeks before declaration of independence.

Voices from the Goliad Frontier

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,748  
Presidio la Bahia in Goliad. I have got to see that. Along with all the missions in the Mission Trail in San Antonio.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi- I've been to the Alamo many times and La Bahia too, but I have to do the Mission Trail next time I'm in San Antonio. I trully love that part of Texas History. For us Native Texans it is really sacred to us, we grew up on the stories of the Texas Revolution, Sam Houston and all the Heroes that fought for the Republic of Texas.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,749  
For those of you who haven't been to Presidio la Bahia in Goliad, it is an exceptional experience. Restored using archelogical and historical evidence to its state just before the massacre, one can wander the museum and grounds at a leisurely pace, typically not too crowded. A little known Texas treasure.

Disclosure, restoration funded by a relative of mine years ago. I coauthored a book about it

While it's been decades since I've been to La Bahia, I remember going soon after it was restored. I grew up in Victoria and I remember the lady(did not know her personally) who funded and pushed the restoration project through. What a great way to leave a legacy for fellow Texans.

Also, the Fannin Battleground is about 10 miles east of Goliad. There is not much there (but a monument) but the events that took place there will give a real Texan a lump in the throat.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4502_0089a.pdf

If you are a Texas history buff, I highly recommend it.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,750  
Brandi- I've been to the Alamo many times and La Bahia too, but I have to do the Mission Trail next time I'm in San Antonio. I trully love that part of Texas History. For us Native Texans it is really sacred to us, we grew up on the stories of the Texas Revolution, Sam Houston and all the Heroes that fought for the Republic of Texas.

Charlie
It is also romantic. My parents spent their honeymoon there. The San Antonio zoo and Japanese Sunken Gardens, next door to the zoo, are well worth a visit also.
hugs, Brandi