Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,751  
It is also romantic. My parents spent their honeymoon there. The San Antonio zoo and Japanese Sunken Gardens, next door to the zoo, are well worth a visit also.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi, when my wife & I got married in 1965, we had neither time nor money for a honeymoon; had to go to work the next morning.:laughing: So about a year later, we took a little 3 day honeymoon trip to San Antonio, and besides the Alamo, some other old missions, the River Walk, and such, we did visit the Brackenridge Park Zoo and the Japanese Tea Gardens. I see the Tea Gardens have since closed. Of course, there's no comparison as far as size and number of animals are concerned, but I thought the zoo in San Antonio was prettier than the San Diego Zoo which I visited in 1973. But in 2005, my wife and I spent our 40th anniversary in San Antonio and we went to the zoo but just as we were getting out of the car, it started to rain, so we skipped the zoo on that trip.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,752  
Brandi, when my wife & I got married in 1965, we had neither time nor money for a honeymoon; had to go to work the next morning.:laughing: So about a year later, we took a little 3 day honeymoon trip to San Antonio, and besides the Alamo, some other old missions, the River Walk, and such, we did visit the Brackenridge Park Zoo and the Japanese Tea Gardens. I see the Tea Gardens have since closed. Of course, there's no comparison as far as size and number of animals are concerned, but I thought the zoo in San Antonio was prettier than the San Diego Zoo which I visited in 1973. But in 2005, my wife and I spent our 40th anniversary in San Antonio and we went to the zoo but just as we were getting out of the car, it started to rain, so we skipped the zoo on that trip.

Bird,
I have only been to the Houston zoo and the San Antonio zoo. I love the zoo in San Antonio, as it was built in an old rock quarry and has some spectacular backdrops. So are the Tea gardens the same thing as the Sunken Gardens? The Sunken Gardens were right around the corner from the zoo and had some beautiful water scenes.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,753  
Brandi, I think the Tea Gardens and Sunken Gardens are the same thing in San Antonio, but I can't be absolutely sure. The only zoo I ever saw in my pre-teen years was the Oklahoma City Zoo when my grandfather would take us kids, but I haven't seen that one in more than 60 years. Tucson, AZ. has/had the Arizona Sonora Desert Living Museum zoo that was well worth the time in 1989 at least. The Anchorage, AK, zoo wasn't particularly large, but interesting in 1991. In the late '60s, early '70s, the Dallas Zoo didn't seem bad, but in 1989 it was so bad I couldn't believe they hadn't shut it down. I understand it's been greatly improved since then. The Fort Worth Zoo was always better than Dallas; last time we were in the Fort Worth Zoo was late September, 2011. The little Frank Buck Zoo in Gainesville couldn't compete with the big ones, but not bad for a little one. We visited that one in June, 2009.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,754  
Dennis,
That is what I thought until I finished out my new pond last summer with water and mud in the bottom. My foot left a deeper print than the tracks!:cool: That MTL was over 10,000 pounds.:eek:
As to Jim's New Holland..............I heard his Mom told him he can't cross the street with it!:laughing:
hugs, Brandi

No! No! No! That's not what she said. She said she better not catch me across the street with that hoe. . . backhoe of course.:D

And with that ladies and gentlemen, I'll bid you goodbye before I get banned from TBN.:rolleyes: Honestly, Brandi, you set that up so perfectly that I just could not resist.:mischievous:

Y'all need to team up. You'd be better than Burns and Allen. :laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,755  
Brandi- I've been to the Alamo many times and La Bahia too, but I have to do the Mission Trail next time I'm in San Antonio. I trully love that part of Texas History. For us Native Texans it is really sacred to us, we grew up on the stories of the Texas Revolution, Sam Houston and all the Heroes that fought for the Republic of Texas.

Charlie

I can't read Travis' letter vat the Alamo without tears welling up in my eyes.

The bronze plaque that is outside now used to be just inside the front door to the left as you walked in. After reading it everything was always blurry for several minutes until the tears dried up. Of course I always tried yo act like it was allergies or something else.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,756  
While it's been decades since I've been to La Bahia, I remember going soon after it was restored. I grew up in Victoria and I remember the lady(did not know her personally) who funded and pushed the restoration project through. What a great way to leave a legacy for fellow Texans.

Also, the Fannin Battleground is about 10 miles east of Goliad. There is not much there (but a monument) but the events that took place there will give a real Texan a lump in the throat.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4502_0089a.pdf

If you are a Texas history buff, I highly recommend it.

Yes. Goliad, Gonzales are both great places.

One thing everyone should put on your calendars now is Washington-on-the-Brazos next year for Texas Independence day. Also check out the Texasarmy.org

These re-enactors do a great job. There was a full two days of activities at The park this year.

I guarantee you will be impressed.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,757  
Brandi, I think the Tea Gardens and Sunken Gardens are the same thing in San Antonio, but I can't be absolutely sure. The only zoo I ever saw in my pre-teen years was the Oklahoma City Zoo when my grandfather would take us kids, but I haven't seen that one in more than 60 years. Tucson, AZ. has/had the Arizona Sonora Desert Living Museum zoo that was well worth the time in 1989 at least. The Anchorage, AK, zoo wasn't particularly large, but interesting in 1991. In the late '60s, early '70s, the Dallas Zoo didn't seem bad, but in 1989 it was so bad I couldn't believe they hadn't shut it down. I understand it's been greatly improved since then. The Fort Worth Zoo was always better than Dallas; last time we were in the Fort Worth Zoo was late September, 2011. The little Frank Buck Zoo in Gainesville couldn't compete with the big ones, but not bad for a little one. We visited that one in June, 2009.

The San Antonio Zoo used to offer kids rides on a full grown elephant back in the late 50's early 60's. I have a picture of me riding one.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,759  
The San Antonio Zoo used to offer kids rides on a full grown elephant back in the late 50's early 60's. I have a picture of me riding one.

We went there when the kids were little. My daughter could not ride the elephant as she was too young. My ex and my son did get to ride, while I took photos.
hugs, Brandi