Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,761  
Countdown. The Texas Fall/Winter thread will open in 55 minutes.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,762  
Boy, didn't think Fall was going to make it. We were sitting out on the deck yesterday afternoon for our afternoon Beverage break from chores and in a short time I know Denise said "Wow, this weather is perfect" at least 10 times. She tends to repeat herself when she's excited. The temps never broke 85* yesterday and we're at 57* this morning.........where did I put that sweatshirt?

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,763  
Boy, didn't think Fall was going to make it. We were sitting out on the deck yesterday afternoon for our afternoon Beverage break from chores and in a short time I know Denise said "Wow, this weather is perfect" at least 10 times. She tends to repeat herself when she's excited. The temps never broke 85* yesterday and we're at 57* this morning.........where did I put that sweatshirt?

Charlie

Yep, as I posted in the Spring/Summer thread, yesterday was PERFECT!:laughing: It was so nice that I sat out on the patio yesterday afternoon, and dozed off for awhile.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,764  
65 degrees and clear in Colorado County. Don't think we've experienced 65 degrees since about May. Mother Nature knows how to read her calendar.

Loading horse and heading for Hill Country this morning. Should be a great week!

Rick

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,765  
49* on my porch fellas!!! If I was a cow I'd have 4 hard nipples:shocked::laughing:

Charlie, when she is excited, it should be "Charlie" she's yell'n:eek: But I know what you mean, we must have said the same thing 20 times yesterday.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,766  
65 cool degrees. Sun is up, and so is the moon. Beautiful clear blue sky. Going to get some mowing in today and a nice ride on the bike.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,767  
69 on the gulf coast with the humidity at 81%,, Wind out of the north at 8 mph,, It's going to be a sun, sun shiny day.:cool2:. I have to check on some cows today and make sure the water tank is full.. While I am there I will see what kind of rainfall I got over the last three days.:confused:. I'm thinking it has got to be over three inches.. It felt like three inches,, plus it sounded like three inches hitting the roof of the patio.. so I'm betting 3 inches,:confused3:, if it is three inches then that would bring the total for Sept. to seven inches,:shocked:, which mean I will get another cutting at the end of Oct.. first of Nov.:cool:. Cool weather make me jabber.:laughing:.Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,768  
I celebrated the last day of summer by grabbing my fire ant dope and heading around my yard to inflict some revenge on those little buggers. I doped about 25 mounds; some small and some large/huge. Now, I need to go down to my pond dams and around the lake and do the same. The rain got them building fresh mounds and they are easy to find.

Sleeping the last two nights has been exquisite with the windows open and on our new memory foam mattress and my new memory foam pillow.:cloud9: Such things are really not a luxury at my age, more a necessity.

My garden is all happy faced except now some of the squash is wilting down. It may have squash borers in it. That's okay, our freezer is full and we've squished the neighbors with squash.:D The b-eyed peas have loads of little tiny peas on them even though the vines look a bit worn. Watching the bumble bees take a methodical approach to go to each bloom is fun. Some of these bumble bees look as big as quarters. While doping fireants yesterday, I noticed the honey bees have returned to a big ol' hollow oak tree near my house. As long as they don't become a problem, I'll just leave them there for their help in my garden next spring. In the meantime, I have a "singing" tree.:)

Edit: I'd tell you how cool it got last night, but I slept in until 8 AM this morning and then got up and made sausage, biscuits, and gravy for breakfast.:licking:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,769  
Edit: I'd tell you how cool it got last night, but I slept in until 8 AM this morning and then got up and made sausage, biscuits, and gravy for breakfast.:licking:

Ugh Oh, Now my wife wants to come to Jinman's.
She loves sausage gravy on homemade Cat Head biscuits.
In fact, that's what we had for supper Friday night.
Have you ever made Cat Head Biscuits?

1.5 cups flour
1.5 cups cake flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
8 T stick butter
4 T shortening
1.25 cups buttermilk ( she makes the buttermilk from powdered buttermilk since it keeps so great )
Oven 425
Place rack in upper middle
Mix all except buttermilk
Mix with a pastry cutter
Add buttermilk
Mix with spoon
Use 1/2 cup of mix for each biscuit. Measure with a 1/2 cup measuring cup sprayed with pam.
Coat 9" cake pan with pam
Makes 6 very large biscuits
Bake 25 minutes test with toothpick

Break open on plate ( not cut because they are so soft and light a knife crushes them)
Smother with sausage gravy and enjoy.:licking::licking::licking:
Recipe from Carolina
Best buscuits we have ever had. Does not have a bisquick taste.

I thought you were on a diet? :D

"That was then; and this is now":laughing:

Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,770  
Speaking of bees.
This has been the worst year ever for them building nests/hives on/in the roof/siding and chimney of our house :(

I had to lock the back door to the deck yesterday and send my little biscuit maker pakin with her
pump up sprayer, out through the basement, on another mission.
These yellow jackets just started going in and out of a little hole they found at the bottom of the drip edge a couple days ago.
Probably descendants of the bunch in the chimney.:(