Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,781  
Lou,
Here's one you might like.
I wanted to try out the digital zoom on the moon last night but it was grayed out.
Today I figured it was probably because I was shooting RAW + jpg.
Put it on jpg only and it works.
Usually in the past years digital zoom was just a noisy joke that I never bothered with
since the results were lousy to say the least.
My widest angle is 34 mm without digital zoom added.
Longest is 2400 mm with 2X digital zoom added.
Name under pics explains if you download.
Shot them from the front porch, using a tripod of course.

I'll have to try it on the moon. Maybe somebody up there doing a moon dance :cool2:
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,782  
I met Farm Girl today. I took some photos. Here they are............. Lake Conroe Bridge North View.jpgLake Conroe Finger about 5 feet low.jpgLake Conroe Bridge South View.jpgRoad between Willis & Montgomery.jpgWatoosi Ranch between Willis and Montgomery.jpg
It was a "Chamber of Commerce" day. These were taken on the road between Montgomery and Willis. Lake Conroe is about 5 feet down. I think the cattle are Longhorns and not Watusi
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,783  
That's exactly how I pictured ........ hey the photos were there a second ago.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,784  
Ugh Oh, Now my wife wants to come to Jinman's.
She loves sausage gravy on homemade Cat Head biscuits.
In fact, that's what we had for supper Friday night.
Have you ever made Cat Head Biscuits?

1.5 cups flour
1.5 cups cake flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
8 T stick butter
4 T shortening
1.25 cups buttermilk ( she makes the buttermilk from powdered buttermilk since it keeps so great )
Oven 425
Place rack in upper middle
Mix all except buttermilk
Mix with a pastry cutter
Add buttermilk
Mix with spoon
Use 1/2 cup of mix for each biscuit. Measure with a 1/2 cup measuring cup sprayed with pam.
Coat 9" cake pan with pam
Makes 6 very large biscuits
Bake 25 minutes test with toothpick

Break open on plate ( not cut because they are so soft and light a knife crushes them)
Smother with sausage gravy and enjoy.:licking::licking::licking:
Recipe from Carolina
Best buscuits we have ever had. Does not have a bisquick taste.

I thought you were on a diet? :D

"That was then; and this is now":laughing:

Ron

Thanks for the recipe Ron. I'm going to try it out the next time the grandkids are here for breakfast. Biscuits & Gravy for Breakfast has been a tradition in our family for as long as I can remember.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,785  
That's exactly how I pictured ........ hey the photos were there a second ago.

Don,
That's a good one! You are helping her :stirthepot::stirthepot:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,786  
8 T stick butter
4 T shortening
1.25 cups buttermilk ( she makes the buttermilk from powdered buttermilk since it keeps so great )

I thought you were on a diet? :D

Ron

Ron you get the pot stirring prize with your blue ribbon recipe! SHORTENING!!!! I thought they outlawed that stuff, just clog up my other artery.... :D:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:
Even the cave man diet (which I do not endorse for heart disease) can't use shortening - they didn't realized how to hydrogenate fat till the 1900's.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,787  
Ron you get the pot stirring prize with your blue ribbon recipe! SHORTENING!!!! I thought they outlawed that stuff, just clog up my other artery.... :D:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:
Even the cave man diet (which I do not endorse for heart disease) can't use shortening - they didn't realized how to hydrogenate fat till the 1900's.

Don,
For sure hydrogenated fat for anyone that has a heart problem or even sausage gravy would be very questionable.
You live with the problem every day and I think you have made tremendous effort in your diet and exercise program to control it,
as all your current tests point out. Sorry to hear about your knees giving out. Swimming is really the best exercise to protect your joints
while giving you a good workout.

Do you have a favorite recipe for biscuits that you consider healthy? Be interested in you posting it.

As far as the term "shortening", that covers a broad spectrum..
We use butter flavored all vegetable shortening (Crisco)
Serving size 1 T = 110 calories
Total fat = 12 g
Saturated fat= 3 g
Transfat ( hydrogenated )= 0
Polyunsaturated= 6 g
Monounsaturated = 2.5 g
Cholesterol = 0
Sodium = 0
Total Carbohydrates = 0
Protein = 0

Percent of daily allowance based on 2000 calorie diet
Total fat less than 65 grams
Saturated fat less than 20 grams

One of the full recipe size biscuits has about 8 g of fat so you would have to eat 8 biscuits to
get the fat allowance for a day.

The hydrogenated fat process was used to make shortening hard.
This stuff is so soft it needs to be kept in the refrigerator for baking purposes.

The comparable processed foods from a grocery are loaded with salt and fat.

Gotta go.. even though the garden is done, the deer destroyed the fence netting last night, in spite for not getting in there all summer.
Deer season starts soon.
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,788  
Nice pictures Ron and Brandi,, makes be think dar R greener pastures else where.. I do like biscuit,, home made and with gravy and butter,, hot coffee,, strong and black.. bacon fried straight and crisp,, hummmm.. Little Timmy.. may I have another helping?.:laughing:.Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,789  
Hey on another note.. I only got one and three quarters inches of rain at the land.. I know we got more here at the house.. but I have no way to proof it:confused3:.. unless you just want to tell my word for it.:D. I wouldn't but ya'll might.:laughing:. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,790  
You guys are gonna give Don a heart attack if you don't stop talking about that yummy food. My hat is off to him, I'm sure his diet has brought about numerous life style changes. I just imagine travelling or whatever and needing to eat. I guess he packs his meals. Don, is there anything you can stop and get (on the go) if you are hungry?

Brandi, first you talk of you and FG meeting then you show pics of cows???? LOLOL :)