Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,811  
FG,
Must be that darn chit chattin' thread.;)
hugs, Brandi

I haven't posted on it, and the one we both posted pics on, I haven't been on in 2 weeks or more now. I think someone just likes to whine, and I get in trouble for it. Reminds me of little kids. What they don't realize is, when I am shoved, I push back. I'd rather just have fun, so whatever it was, I hope they got the bee out of their bonnet! *Sheesh*

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,812  
FG-- Out here in East Texas you sure don't want to run out, 'cause here in the Bible Belt it can be a long way to the Liquor or beer store, so we try to plan ahead. When heading back from the big city it's a good idea to stock up. Some more places are going wet so the shortest round trip for beer & wine is now 28 miles. Even farther for some Scotch or JD. So it's best to keep some back-up medicinal product in case of snake bite.

Charlie

Dang, Charlie, there's lots of things I don't like about living in town, but it's less than 3 miles to a liquor store.:laughing: However, the one I prefer is closer to 10 miles.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,813  
My wife informed me at lunch that the real secret to making good pie crusts, biscuits, etc. is keeping the grease cold and cutting it in with a pastry cutter till it is like little peas.

Of course she's right, Ron, and she's right about the Crisco, too. So I use lard. That may cause txdon to have a heart attack, but it hasn't hurt me, yet.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,814  
I like Scotch.. but some people have told me that, that's the last thing they would drink,, I guess a good whiskey or scotch or wine or beer is one you like

Lou, I still remember a friend telling me that Scotch was an acquired taste; that no one liked it at first. I think I was 21 at the time. And I was probably 26 when a neighbor invited me in for a drink; Johnny Walker Red Label. I never liked Kentucky or Tennessee whiskeys, but that first drink of Scotch convinced me that would be my drink. So I used to buy Johnny Walker Red, but later changed to a cheap Scotch, Clan MacGregor, for a number of years, before going to Chivas Regal. However, here on TBN some members talked about single malt Scotch, then a daughter and son-in-law gave me a bottle of Glenfiddich; much better than Chivas Regal, but also more expensive. And then last year another customer at the liquor store told me about MacGavins single malt and that's now my Scotch.:laughing:

I only drink Scotch and water, but way back in 1969, I had to work the Labor Day weekend, had some extra time off the next weekend, and my wife and I went to Carlsbad Caverns. When we got to Whites City, NM, that afternoon and got checked into the motel (only customers they had) we walked across the road to the White Buffalo Saloon and I ordered a Scotch and Soda that I'd heard so much about. I took one sip and told the bartender, "Now throw this away and bring me a Scotch and water.":laughing: And I haven't ruined any Scotch with Soda since.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,815  
Bird, as a bartender there are two drinks that I made on a regular basis that I just cringed every time somebody ordered them: Scotch and milk, Scotch and tonic.:p I love gin and tonic and bourbon and soda, but I can mix my bourbon with water or straight up on the rocks. I don't do shooters because it seems pointless. I don't drink to get loaded, just to relax and have something that's not sugary sweet.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,816  
Jim, I never tried, nor had any desire to try, Scotch with milk or tonic. I've had some gin and tonic at a friend's place that was really good, but never made that at home, never ordered it in a bar. Never cared much for bourbon in any way, but I do like Crown Royal in Coke Zero or in Sprite or 7-Up. I used to make margaritas at home, but quit doing that. I think I've had 3 margaritas this, each with dinner in a Mexican restaurant.

As a bartender, did you get many calls for Golden Cadillacs? That was a desert I sure liked, both at home and in restaurants years ago, but haven't had one in at least 35 years. Of course some bars make them with milk, light cream, or heavy cream, and I always passed on that; gotta be made with ice cream.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,817  
I only drink Scotch and water, but way back in 1969, I had to work the Labor Day weekend, had some extra time off the next weekend, and my wife and I went to Carlsbad Caverns. When we got to Whites City, NM, that afternoon and got checked into the motel (only customers they had) we walked across the road to the White Buffalo Saloon and I ordered a Scotch and Soda that I'd heard so much about. I took one sip and told the bartender, "Now throw this away and bring me a Scotch and water.":laughing: And I haven't ruined any Scotch with Soda since.

Bird the only thing to put in "Good Scotch" is an ice cube. Give Spice Tree malt a try has a hint of clove, and ginger. It is a Scotland import.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,818  
I do like Chives and Johnny Walker red or double black or Glenfiddich and a few more,, I never mix them with ice or anything else.. good scotch is like a good wine let it set for awhile then a sip and chased with some ice water.. repeat.. until it's time to go to bed.. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,820  
Jim, I never tried, nor had any desire to try, Scotch with milk or tonic. I've had some gin and tonic at a friend's place that was really good, but never made that at home, never ordered it in a bar. Never cared much for bourbon in any way, but I do like Crown Royal in Coke Zero or in Sprite or 7-Up. I used to make margaritas at home, but quit doing that. I think I've had 3 margaritas this year, each with dinner in a Mexican restaurant.

As a bartender, did you get many calls for Golden Cadillacs? That was a desert I sure liked, both at home and in restaurants years ago, but haven't had one in at least 35 years. Of course some bars make them with milk, light cream, or heavy cream, and I always passed on that; gotta be made with ice cream.:laughing:

MacAllen 12 is the best scotch by far. well worth the price.