Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,821  
So many questions - too good of weather in Texas to be online.

A few word on fats. When you read about fats they are usually talking about people without heart disease. When they talk about the omega 3 and 6 being good for heart health that is only part of the story. The 3s and 6s should be in equal parts and for those with heart disease ( and half of us have heart disease wether we know it or not) and should limit our fat intake to 10% total calories per day. Ground flax seed is the preferred way to get the omegas for heart patients - about 2 Tablespoons per day without a lot of added fat calories. (oh - Crisco won't tell you that.)

Ron, I do not have a favorite biscuit recipe - but I'm keeping my eyes open to find one that meets the 10% rule. Biscuits are usually eaten with something else and usually that something else contains more fat and cholesterol - toxic to me. But one with a good no sugar added strawberry jam....mmmmm.

Ron my blood work came back perfect also, I just have to work harder to get it there. Without meat, dairy, cheese, (very few nuts/seeds), and no protein supplements my blood protein level is PERFECT - amazing.

Kyle, - eating out and on the go.

Date/cherry/cranberry/rice krispies bars for snaking while driving. (Just put the ingredients in a food processor add krispies and freeze - no cooking.)

Mall - one of those Chinese places that has "steamed" rice and I ask them to go in the back and throw some un-cooked veggies on the rice. (Their cooked veggies are simmering in fat.)
Subway - salad (no cheese, no meat, non fat dressing) or veggie footlong no cheese, toast the onions and bell peppers on the bun, add sweet onion sauce.
Double Dave's Pizza, - Whole wheat crust with no butter - veggie pizza toppings - no cheese, add pineapple
Schlotzsky's - veggie on rye no cheddar. (If I'm really hungry I add a big salad bowl for about $3 more)
Auntie Anns - whole wheat jalapeño with no butter
Road House - black been burger, side salad instead of fries. (note - ask about veggie burgers some contain egg)
Steak house - baked potato and salad, steamed/fresh veggies with no butter/oil
On a cruise - They like the challenge of vegan no added fats - not a problem. a bean or pasta dish with fresh or steamed veggies and interesting fruits or sorbet.

etc....I kind of got it figured out, sometimes I have to ask for a special request and so far everyone is more than happy to accommodate.
Lately I have been saying: I'm in a heart study and have special diet restrictions, do you have ...........

Sadly, the worst place to eat is here in Lee County at the local fundraisers, no substitutions and high fat and high cholesterol food. These I skip.

Bird you are the person every one wants to be like, you smoked and did not get cancer and you can eat anything and did not get heart disease (so far on both, knock on wood and best wishes and all...)- I think you will live forever!

The problem is everyone thinks they are like you until they have a heat attack or get cancer, then we realize you are the one that got the good genes and we must find a ways to compensate. Sometimes I think the heart attack was a good early warning for me and luckily I was the 50% that survived - that is my motivation - not to have another. Most people that have slight symptoms and then get a bypass or stent seem not to be so motivated to change their diet drastically and are good repeat customers for the cardiologist.

Now go ahead and talk about you favorite recipe, I remember what they all used to taste like, I didn't get my heart disease by eating healthy, just disregard me when I but in. (But shortening!!!! it's way off balance on omegas (1 to 12) the only thing worse is cottonseed oil.) ((sorry couldn't help myself - again.:D))

Argg - summer is back 91˚ today windows are closed AC is on.

Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,822  
Bird you are the person every one wants to be like, you smoked and did not get cancer and you can eat anything and did not get heart disease (so far on both, knock on wood and best wishes and all...)- I think you will live forever!

Live forever?:laughing: Don, I only have one living relative older than I; Dad's youngest sister is 91. My Mother lived to be 85. And NO ONE ELSE IN MY FAMILY has ever lived past 80. I'm 73, so you may outlive me. But in the meantime . . . yeah, I've been lucky.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,823  
But bird, you are really living too. Life isn't about having the most days in one's life, but the most life in one's days! And one can be killed as easily in an accident, vehicle or other, as from a health issue.

With all of the GMO crops, veggies that one does not grow one's self may be just as bad or worse than the things we try to avoid. And now, not only will fish (most of which is already loaded with mercury, and other heavy metals) be processed in China, no matter where it is caught, but chickens will be too. So much for a healthier option. :duh:

I'll get off of my soapbox now! :soapbox:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,824  
As a bartender, did you get many calls for Golden Cadillacs?

I made lots of golden Cadillacs and golden dreams, both with Galiano. We never used ice cream in anything. I don't even think the Navy Chief's Clubs I worked in kept ice cream. Now, I can't remember the contents or names of many drinks, but I used to be able to rattle off enough drinks and contents to bore anyone to death.:eek:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,825  
On a lighter note, I should be photographing this dendrobium orchid In Feb-Apr which is the normal time for it to bloom.
For some reason, after repotting last spring it decided to change the natural cycle of things and started a bloom shoot very soon after. My wife has had this plant for 22 years and has seperated/repotted it the same time every year in new bark. The blooms start to open at the back of the shoot and continue to the tip over a period of time. Once they are all open they remain this way for 2-3 months.
Such a beautiful flower from such an ugly plant base.:)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,826  
Y'all can have Houston!! Traffic at a stand still out to 25 miles West on I-10 (East bound traffic). I cant think of anything in this town worth sitting in that every day!! News said 1 hr 20 minute drive (from 25 miles out!! Katy Texas) No wrecks, shootings, rapes or robbery, just cars!

I think the closer you live to this town, the higher the propensity to drink:laughing: Smartest guy I have seen this trip is a homeless guy sleeping on the sidewalk by the job, didn't seem to have a care in the world!:laughing: I gave him a bottled water and he offered to help for free, what a great attitude, course he "appeared" drunk...........Lou, was you in town last night??:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,827  
Western, When I went to Houston the other week I made my appointment at 10:30 so I would be On I-10 at 9:45 after the rush - I thought - I was still at a standstill and lost 30 minutes. They should have left the toll/transit lane out and added three more regular lanes.

The Lee County burn ban was lifted yesterday after being in place all summer. The air is smokey this morning from everyone getting caught up on burning their brush piles.
I hear a donkey in the woods and Whipper is getting excited and running toward the woods. I don't have a donkey, better go check this out.....

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,828  
Western, When I went to Houston the other week I made my appointment at 10:30 so I would be On I-10 at 9:45 after the rush - I thought - I was still at a standstill and lost 30 minutes. They should have left the toll/transit lane out and added three more regular lanes.

The Lee County burn ban was lifted yesterday after being in place all summer. The air is smokey this morning from everyone getting caught up on burning their brush piles.
I hear a donkey in the woods and Whipper is getting excited and running toward the woods. I don't have a donkey, better go check this out.....

txdon-Maybe you have one now. Once they show up they're hard to get rid of if you feed them.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,829  
Y'all can have Houston!! Traffic at a stand still out to 25 miles West on I-10 (East bound traffic). I cant think of anything in this town worth sitting in that every day!! News said 1 hr 20 minute drive (from 25 miles out!! Katy Texas) No wrecks, shootings, rapes or robbery, just cars!

I think the closer you live to this town, the higher the propensity to drink:laughing: Smartest guy I have seen this trip is a homeless guy sleeping on the sidewalk by the job, didn't seem to have a care in the world!:laughing: I gave him a bottled water and he offered to help for free, what a great attitude, course he "appeared" drunk...........Lou, was you in town last night??:D

Dennis,
I-10 West (Katy Freeway) is the worst freeway in town. I stay off of it. I gather it is in construction to widen it now. I'm a Hardy Toll Road and I-45 flyer back and forth to work.............going against rush hour traffic.
hugs, Brandi