Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,861  
In the cities there is no way to 'time' traffic signals accurately because the drivers texting, etc mess up any calculations. :D

That's why I said, come off of the light and get up to posted speeds. And when I was driving thru Amarillo, there was no such thing as texting. :confused3:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,862  
Yeah, that was just about the time when they started thinking that if they just didn't build roads and infrastructure people wouldn't move there. A guy named Jeff Freidman was mayor and that was his brainstorm. I think he actually claimed the population of Austin could be capped at 40,000 or something like that.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's 40k living in just apartments !! Even grown up towards Leander and West towards 281!! Pretty country too, so I can see the draw in the earlier years, now, not so much.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,863  
It was pretty warm today as several have mentioned. I started all my tractors since I hadn't done that in a couple of weeks. It felt so good that I mowed all of my pond dams. I also had to water my garden and tomorrow morning it will be water for the yard. Foreman is right, this doesn't feel like the fall-winter thread even though the calendar says it is. Hopefully, by this weekend it will be feeling fall-ish again.:)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,864  
That's why I said, come off of the light and get up to posted speeds. And when I was driving thru Amarillo, there was no such thing as texting. :confused3:

Oh yeah in the small towns you can actually get up to speed from a light, especially if you are the first car. Ive driven through many small towns in Texas and got in sync with the lights and never had to stop. Even today there are quite a few where it can be done. Cities are much harder except DT where the blocks are shorter and really, I think most people are trying to get out as fast as they can so they leave the phones alone until they get out aways. My experience anyway.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,865  
Wouldn't surprise me if there's 40k living in just apartments !! Even grown up towards Leander and West towards 281!! Pretty country too, so I can see the draw in the earlier years, now, not so much.

Yeah everyone knew Friedman was kooky except Friedman. Austin is still suffering from traffic congestion due to refusing to build infrastructure back in the '70's - '80's.

It's sad to see such a nice town go to waste.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#1,866  
Foreman is right, this doesn't feel like the fall-winter thread even though the calendar says it is. Hopefully, by this weekend it will be feeling fall-ish again.:)

Jim, I know I am a bit ostracized since I have come down here and got "Houston on my shoes", but I believe we may get some nice rain and weather over this coming weekend??

Wife says she has a "surprise" for me when I get home...hmmm maybe I will get "lucky" since I know she didn't mow the lawn, I did that before I left:thumbsup::laughing: Maybe she is letting me sleep in the house now!!!:duh::rotfl:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,867  
All this talk of Houston and Austin growing so big and people in power miscalculating traffic flows and such always reminds me of the Dallas water shortage that led to the construction of White Rock Lake, 1,254 acres, completed in 1911 and believed at the time to be all the water Dallas would need for 100 years.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,868  
All this talk of Houston and Austin growing so big and people in power miscalculating traffic flows and such always reminds me of the Dallas water shortage that led to the construction of White Rock Lake, 1,254 acres, completed in 1911 and believed at the time to be all the water Dallas would need for 100 years.:laughing:

:D:laughing: yep!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,869  

Yep, Bird, and now they have reservoirs built to supply the metro-plex with water all the north to Ok and east to Texarkana. They were trying to build another on out here a couple of years ago, but the locals shot it down.

When I was little back in the 50's and we had that big drought, the drinking water got kind of skanky. I remember going with my grandmother to Skillern's Drug Store in Cedar Crest Shopping Center to buy drinking water in a cardboard milk cartoon for Sunday Dinner. (During the week we just drank it out of the faucet.) This was long before we had all this bottled water that everybody is carring around. That was what started all the "Lake Building" out here in East Texas.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1,870  
Yep, Bird, and now they have reservoirs built to supply the metro-plex with water all the north to Ok and east to Texarkana. They were trying to build another on out here a couple of years ago, but the locals shot it down.

When I was little back in the 50's and we had that big drought, the drinking water got kind of skanky. I remember going with my grandmother to Skillern's Drug Store in Cedar Crest Shopping Center to buy drinking water in a cardboard milk cartoon for Sunday Dinner. (During the week we just drank it out of the faucet.) This was long before we had all this bottled water that everybody is carring around. That was what started all the "Lake Building" out here in East Texas.

Charlie

Charlie, I'm sure I'll always remember the drought of the '50s. My Dad bought a Texaco service station across the street from the courthouse in Marietta, OK, in June, 1956. A propane truck had blown up on a bridge on U.S. 77 between Marietta and Ardmore, so all the highway traffic was detoured through Marietta and up through Lake Murray State Park, then back to U.S. 77. So we did a booming business that summer; could hardly keep up. However, the drought was so bad that local farmers were hurting, the Chevrolet dealership next door to the station went under and closed up. And that Fall, they got the bridge rebuilt and re-opened the highway and our business fell to nearly nothing.

But we got lucky, a big city retiree who wanted to move to a little town and have just a little something to do showed up and even after going over the books, bought that Texaco station and we moved to Plano, TX, where Dad bought a Mobil service station.

You know it was quite common for people to add tap water to their battery when needed, instead of distilled water, and that skanky water you mentioned supposedly ruined a lot of car batteries. Dallas was getting water all the way from Lake Texoma and that Red River water wasn't the best for drinking or car batteries.:laughing:

And even now, everyone agrees that we need more reservoirs, but not in my backyard. So it takes longer and costs more to get one built.