Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,071  
That image came from Marshall University in W. VA
http://muwww-new.marshall.edu/herp/images/TIMBER.JPG

Looking at their curriculum where does snake identification fit in?
Marshall University

Looks like Timber Rattlers come in various colors, or at least the folks posting to Google Images think so.:D
https://www.google.com/search?q=tim...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=-IRNUoHeAYqhiQKr0oHYAw

I have never seen one. We only have copperheads as poisonous snakes here.
Ron

You are correct. It was the closest thing I could find to represent what I saw, and it was almost exactly like this.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,072  
Look up diamondback water snake. I think you will find a color variation that fits what you saw, and lives in Texas.

HS

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,073  
Mike had a timber rattler on his place that committed suicide, maybe he has a picture of what the local ones look like.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,074  
Timber rattlers all have that light background and dark irregular rings with a tail that gets very dark toward the rattlers. Their banding pattern reminds me of what a water moccasin would look like if it were lighter. They even have the dark blaze stripe along each side of the head. Normally, a 3 foot timber rattler is very big. The official data says they grow to 40" long, so Kyle's snake must have been pretty old and well-fed.:)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,077  
Without stating my personal view on the amendment relating to the creation of The State Water Implementation Fund, I would suggest that a brief reading of all suggested amendments and backgrounds could be beneficial in making voting decisions. In the linked document, each proposed amendment is discussed in detail along with discussion of views of those in favor and opposing the proposition. I have found this document to be extremely valuable in getting the full perspective of all the proposed amendments.

Analyses of Proposed Constitutional Amendments on the Nov 5, 2013 ballot.

:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
#2,078  
Timber rattlers all have that light background and dark irregular rings with a tail that gets very dark toward the rattlers. Their banding pattern reminds me of what a water moccasin would look like if it were lighter. They even have the dark blaze stripe along each side of the head. Normally, a 3 foot timber rattler is very big. The official data says they grow to 40" long, so Kyle's snake must have been pretty old and well-fed.:)

Jim, to clarify what you said, 40" may be the average large size for a East Texas timber rattler, but they can get much bigger as you go East. I had one in the 80's we caught in Arkansas (Hot Springs) that was near 6'.

BTW, killed 4 more scorpions in the last 5 days, all in the shower, or tub!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,079  
BTW, killed 4 more scorpions in the last 5 days, all in the shower, or tub!!

Our discoveries have slowed a bunch. I think we've only seen a couple in the last three weeks. However, the rain showers have brought lots of fireants to the surface and I"ve been taking them regular picnic lunches from the Amdro Deli.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,080  
The snake I ran over was beautifully marked. I just wish I'd had a camera or a pistol. Who makes boots out of these things these days?

My uncle used to make boots in his Panhandle boot shop. But he died in 1998. One of his handmade boot clients was Dan Blocker's father-in-law.

Any rattler around here I see would be pushing up daisys as soon as I got the Big RED Beast out and a deep hole dug. "What snake, Officer? I just buried a squirrel my dog killed".
hugs, Brandi