Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,281  
My rain repellent ponds are working quite well; not a drop yet.

Speakin' of beers. I've had lots of different beers all over the world, but my least favorite is Peroni from Italy. It's the #1 beer in Italy, but back in the '70s when I was there, it was pretty nasty. San Miguel from the Philippines is/was also not my favorite, but tasted pretty good to a bunch of sailors after many days at sea.:) My least favorite US beer is Old Milwaukee. I don't think I've ever been able to finish one.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,282  
Bird, not sure when you drank one, but Schlitz went through growing pains back in the late '70's and some knukkahead changed the brewing technique and it was horrible. That's when Anheuser Busch took over a giant share of the market and hasn't looked back. Still wish AB wouldn't have sold to the Europeans. Rumors abound that the Euros might default on a structured payment agreement, but hasn't happened yet.

We used to stop at the Mr Gatti's pizza in Victoria after a long day of water skiing and have us some Schlitz dark from the keg. I can honestly tell you it was some of the smoothest drinking beer I've ever had. We all loved it ( my skiing buddies and our girly girlfriends :) !

The awesome sound of pitter patter soaking rains have been occurring since about 3am here. Water is running off, but I'm thinking the cracks in the ground are healing. More is coming. I'm hoping the lakes above Austin get a big surge. Need some stilleto rain dancing to be done at hippie hollow on Lake Travis. :) Watch out for the rock crevaces though if you decide to put your tall heels on. You might need a spotter to make sure you don't fall over. I'm sure there are plenty of guys online here willing to do the task....

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,283  
Jim, I guess you do know that Old Milwaukee was a Schlitz product. I once bought a six pack, took one taste of one and realized instantly it was Schlitz. You know someone misunderstood when they named it Schlitz. The guy had a lisp so Schlitz was not the word he was going for. It doesn't take much to have the same effect as ex-lax.

For many years Coors was not sold in Texas, so Texan visitors to Colorado would bring back Coors. Then when they started selling it in Texas, it was a big hit, and one of my neighbors always bought Coors. When we were working together on various projects, if we made a mistake, he'd say, "Too much help from Adolph." Now one Coors is OK, but I found if I drank two in one day, I'd have a headache. Anheuser Busch and Miller products never gave a headache.

But now . . . I've got a few bottles of Shiner Bock in the refrigerator. Of course I think I bought that 12 pack last Spring.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,284  
Kyle, I was typing while you were posting, so I didn't see your post until I posted mine. And the only time in my life that I drank any Schlitz products was between 1973 and 1977; haven't touched one before or since.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,285  
But now . . . I've got a few bottles of Shiner Bock in the refrigerator. Of course I think I bought that 12 pack last Spring.:laughing:

Bird, I think I have the same exact thing in my freezer right now. 12 pack of Bock, maybe 2 or 3 Bud lights. Funny story, my wife and I changed churches over a year ago and joined a wonderful Lutheran church. The pastor and associate pastor (and their wives) are imported from Wisconsin. Great peeps. I have them over when Green Bay plays and they both like Shiner Bock. Maybe a bit more because it's been paid for by me. LOL! :)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,286  
Kyle, I was raised a Baptist, but married a Methodist, who had been going to an Episcopalian church with an aunt of hers. When we first started dating, I was, of course, single and going to a nearby Baptist church, but one day the pastor came to visit and I don't remember how the conversation got around to alcoholic drinks, but at that time I had never in my life drank more than 1 beer in a day and I told that pastor that I certainly agreed that drunkenness was bad, and especially if a man neglected his family to buy booze, but that I didn't see anything wrong with someone having an occasional beer or glass of wine. Well, he told me if I felt that way I had no business in a Baptist church, so I agreed and never went back. I tell people I'm the only person I know who got excommunicated from the Baptist Church.:laughing: Of course, my wife and I were members of a United Methodist Church for many years, and at least a couple of times, our pastor came to parties at our house and drank a beer with us.

And of course, two of our neighbors and good friends were Catholic. Now that's another world. We went with them to dances at their church a couple of times in the '80s; country and western music, red checkered tablecloths, and plenty of beer.:laughing:

And way back in 1967 or '68, when I was still a patrolman, I once had to break up a drunken party and fight in the biggest Catholic church in Dallas.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,287  
Jim, I guess you do know that Old Milwaukee was a Schlitz product. I once bought a six pack, took one taste of one and realized instantly it was Schlitz. You know someone misunderstood when they named it Schlitz. The guy had a lisp so Schlitz was not the word he was going for. It doesn't take much to have the same effect as ex-lax.

:laughing: I used to tend bar in a military club on base at the Phila. Naval Shipyard. Of course, it was noisy in there and hard to hear. We had Schmitz beer from Philadelphia and Schlitz beer. Because they sounded so much alike, my waitress would order in a way that was easily understood. She would say something like, "Two Philadelphias and two female beers." I'll let you figure out where she came up with that.:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,288  
7/10th of an inch over night. That makes 1.95 inches since yesterday morning. It's still coming down litely.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,289  
The Fort Davis area would be nice. That would make El Paso my free getaway to fly....if needed.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi I am ready to move out west.. I was reading an article the other day,, think it was the other day, it may have been a month ago,, heck I maybe just thinking I read it and just made it up.. cause it fits with this story.. Anyway the article read that there 1900 people moving to Texas each day.. I glad I don稚 have that job.. Standing at the border and counting new people.. That why am ready to move out west.. plus all this rain this morning is messing up my routine of counting dust devils.:laughing:. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,290  
Talking about beer,, we are taught at a very young age that there is three things in life that are important.. Family, God and Country which is so true.. But after a few beers it's clear to me it Beer, Women and Tractors.:laughing:. Lou