Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,502  
I'm voting against it as well BUT all it means if it does fail (hoping) is that we won't be subsidizing the companies that will eventually drill and pump anyway. The city folks will have to pay a little more so the big companies can make their big profits ....but us little guys wells are still gonna drop / dry up because big money always will out and there are more folks in the cities than out here in the sticks so of course they come first. The ruling that we have nothing to say about it has killed us. Next thing is they'll want to say we can't catch rain water because it keeps the water from flowing downstream where "it's needed". Never mind the amount an individual will catch is so small as to be practically nil....they "need" that law on the books to keep it from becoming an industry......Bottom line -- hope I'm old enough to die before I see what is coming to the country. We'll be forced to buy our water from the corporation that pumped it out from under us in the first !@#$% place.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,503  
mikim; You are correct! T. Boone Pickens has been working that angle for many years now. It isn't just oil and gas he wants to drill for and control. Ultimately, *everyone* will be paying dearly for every drop of water they use. The generation being born today will suffer tremendously.

Speaking of water, is anyone getting rain yet today? I see we have a 70% chance around here, but nothing falling yet. I've picked the garden this morning. It is slowing down, with the cooler temps. Maybe I can keep it going another week, if we get rain.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,504  
But we all may have our posts removed for being a political discussion in this forum.:rolleyes:

Yea, I kind of thought we might get on the fringe of politics when Texas well water entered the thread, but with well mannered Texans, an epic Moderator and a hex throwing Witch we should be well protected....:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,505  
Mike, it could be worse. I learned in 1988 that if you bought land in Colorado, or at least parts of the state, you had to get a permit from the state to drill a water well on your land, and in places, you could not get such a permit. Two brothers from the Dallas area moved up there. One had a motel and the other had a restaurant across the road out in the country. They had a big overhead water tank to supply both, and they bought their own tank truck because they had to go to town and buy water to haul out there. And that was right on the river where it looked like an endless supply of fresh water in the area.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,506  
I know it's illegal to catch rain in Colorado -- and I'm afraid it's the precedent that will be used against us. ....I can see the day that my well and rain collection will both be nullified. arrrrgh!....but how do they justify saying that God's rain (that falls on private land) belongs to the govt?....don't get it.......and that's one witch that can hex me any day!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,507  
Speaking of water, is anyone getting rain yet today? I see we have a 70% chance

NWS says Denton has a 70% chance. Early this morning it was "mainly" between 1 p.m. today and 1 a.m. tonight; now it's 2 p.m. to 2 a.m. I'd sure like to see some rain, but I'm supposed to have a Charter Communications installer here this morning to install cable TV/Internet/Telephone, so I hope he gets here and gets that done before the rain.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,508  
Without saying my choice one way or the other on the state constitution propositions, I find this whole process to be clouded in mystery until the propositions appear on the ballot. There don't seem to be enough town hall type meetings by our representatives to allow local discussions. Of course, some of the propositions effect small or exclusive areas (like the Hidalgo County tax increase). The whole state votes on whether the increase will be allowed, but local voters determine when and how much. It does seem a bit like I'm voting on something that's none of my business. I suppose if a person really gets involved (maybe that's the key) deeply in the process, they might know what is going to come up as a proposition, but I admit that I can have opinions about each of the propositions without knowing the genesis of the measure and the whys and wherefores. Waiting until the propositions appear on the ballot seems less than ideal for the discovery process.:confused2:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,509  
Jim, I'm afraid most of us voters vote on things that we know little about; kind of like the members of Congress.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2,510  
. . . I'm supposed to have a Charter Communications installer here this morning to install cable TV/Internet/Telephone, so I hope he gets here and gets that done before the rain.

Looking at the radar, I think you'll be high and dry, Bird. As a matter of fact, the TCU vs. UT game is probably also safe. The only place that looks like any significant precip is around Sherman. I should have known that when Delkus said it would start in the NW Metro area, it would be the NE Metro area. Sometimes his forecast for rain in my area is the "kiss of death.":rolleyes: