Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #251  
well its a cold 28 an a wc 22 here this morning.ill be staying in as much as possable today.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Don Nice stove!!:thumbsup: We have had a couple similar to that one over the years, but now have a wall one or standard I should say. I think those are 100% more efficient heat wise.

Bird Your right about that ice, I have seen "Black ice" many times from frozen fog, re-melted ice/snow, but due to sprinklers I think should be a liability for the property owner. Most of the businesses I work around use lawn care maintenance company's and why they don't deal with this, I have no idea. I see copious amounts of water wasted working at night. Even the little McDonalds in Springtown, their water runs down HWY 199 all the way through Brookshires parking lot, total wast off water.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #253  
From my post #196 in this thread a week ago:

But my luck may be better than the old gentleman's next door. I noticed a trickle of water across my driveway this afternoon and tracked the source to his water meter box. Of course, I told him and then dipped enough water out to see that the meter was running; bad news. He called the city and the city guy came and confirmed that it's on the customer's side of the meter. I don't know what a plumber is going to cost him.

My neighbor decided to leave the water turned on at the meter so he'd have water in the house. So yesterday was 6 days there's been a steady stream across my driveway day and night and big puddles in my yard and each of the next 3 houses south of us. So I went over to check on him and he said when he first tried to call a plumber, he called 4 of them. Two had answering machines he didn't like, one phone had been disconnected, and the 4th guy said he didn't know when he could get to it, and never called back. He said he also had a nephew that was a plumber and he called the nephew and the boy told him he'd come as soon as he could get caught up. He said he guessed he should at least shut the water off at night, and that he'd call the nephew again. So he shut the water off sometime last night. His water bill isn't gong to be pretty.

The nephew came this afternoon, and sure enough the water line is PVC. It had not only pulled part way apart, but also had a crack in it. So it finally got fixed. The nephew told me code requires no more than 80 psi water pressure, and as I said in post #211 of the Texas Heat thread, the gauge I used showed 82 to 88 psi, after the city's guy back then said his gauge showed 100 psi.

Perhaps the drought had something to do with causing the leak, but I think our excessive water pressure might have something to do with it, too.

And yesterday morning, I started to go out and the garage door opener only moved the door about 6"; broken torsion spring. There was a time I'd have fixed it myself, but not anymore. The good news is that I had a good repairman here within an hour (company that I'd never used before or even heard of). The bad news was that it was expensive, but not unreasonable in my opinion.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #254  
Thanks Jim, we need more rain and they are saying this weekend maybe.

Don, nice stove. I'll bet it can heat you out of the house! Can you regulate it?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Bird, I think the reason that one plumber out of four is busy, is because of the other 3!!!

Good thing no one slipped on that water if it froze the last couple of day's too!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #256  
Bird, it's too bad the leak didn't happen during the summer when everyone needed water on their lawns.;) Glad your neighbor got his pipe repaired. You are probably exactly right about the water pressures, but you have to wonder why only certain houses would have that kind of problem rather than it being a widespread problem.

I had a great shopping experience at WalMart yesterday. Normally during the holidays, I stay away from the Decatur, TX store. Yesterday I was buying a bike for my grandson and went there because they are much bigger than our Bowie store. I WAS NOT looking forward to going inside the store to the toy department. As I walked throught the garden center I noticed they had a bunch of bikes there. I walked over and found two of the exact bike I was looking for. I rolled it over to the garden center checkout and was out of there in less than 10 minutes. Woohoo!:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #257  
Jim, the Walmarts are sure different in a lot of ways. We have 6 within a reasonable distance. I alsmost never go in the 2 in Lewisville any more, but visit the other 4 quite regularly; Hickory Creek, Highland Village, and 2 in Denton. It's surprising to me that the worst store for traffic, parking, and congestion is the old Denton store, but it's the only one that has Pedro's Fiesta tamales.:laughing:

In a few minutes, we'll be headed for Muenster this morning to Fischer's Meat Market. Gotta get some of their Taco Flavored Hot Links for myself, and both of our sons-in-law, and a few more brats for us, too.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #258  
Jim, the Walmarts are sure different in a lot of ways. We have 6 within a reasonable distance. I alsmost never go in the 2 in Lewisville any more, but visit the other 4 quite regularly; Hickory Creek, Highland Village, and 2 in Denton. It's surprising to me that the worst store for traffic, parking, and congestion is the old Denton store, but it's the only one that has Pedro's Fiesta tamales.:laughing:

In a few minutes, we'll be headed for Muenster this morning to Fischer's Meat Market. Gotta get some of their Taco Flavored Hot Links for myself, and both of our sons-in-law, and a few more brats for us, too.

Your sure right about the differences, even the prices are higher in the north end of town versus the south end for the same product at the ones we use.
The thing that is the same is 30 check-out lanes but neverr more than 2 open.
One of them is usually the 20 items or less. It's amazing salesmanship how stores make people with $200 of groceries and other stuff wait in long lines but give somebody buying just a chew and a pop instant service.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #259  

I keep thinking I'll stop in there when we go through Muenster, but it seems I'm always rushing to get somewhere. One of these days, I'll go there and probably be hooked after that. Look out for the I-35 construction in Gainesville. It's probably going to be pretty nice when they finish, but all the ramps and service roads are pretty messed up during construction.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #260  

Great place ... Thats where we take our hogs to get done ... a longer drive BUT its worth the Flavor!!