Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #301  
I started one of my burn piles yesterday and took some pictures of the trees on my place while it was burning. The color is still really good this year, and I'm thinking that it might have beent the best year for color since I moved here in 2002. I'm also seeing quite a few trees with the bark falling off of them. I know that means they are dead, so I'm thinking it's from the extreme heat and lack of rain this year. There are dozens and dozens of them that I'm seeing, and Im afraid that there will probably be quite a few more.

Eddie

Attachments

• 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 469.jpg
    469.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 66
  • 358.jpg
    358.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • 592.jpg
    592.jpg
    996.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 594.jpg
    594.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 72
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #302  
I've been worried that some of the "fall color" that we've bern seeing may be an indication that the trees are dying. I've noticed more of that "fall color" this year too.

Nice burn piles, Eddie.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Ditto what ya ll said about the color, the wife and I have noticed the diversity of color also and I've been here since the mid 70's. Not your normal Green to Brown.

I know I have also lost some trees and sure there will be more to find come Spring. I think I will cut the bigger ones down at "green-up" even if I cant cut them up for fire wood at the time, I have already been hit with falling dead limbs and it sure is "smarts".

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #304  
I've been worried that some of the "fall color" that we've bern seeing may be an indication that the trees are dying. I've noticed more of that "fall color" this year too.

Nice burn piles, Eddie.

Ditto here. I heard if the leaves are turning colors and not falling........it's dead.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #305  
Ditto what ya ll said about the color, the wife and I have noticed the diversity of color also and I've been here since the mid 70's. Not your normal Green to Brown.

I know I have also lost some trees and sure there will be more to find come Spring. I think I will cut the bigger ones down at "green-up" even if I cant cut them up for fire wood at the time, I have already been hit with falling dead limbs and it sure is "smarts".

I was forced to take out a tree at a rental property because it died during the summer and was threatening the neighbors power lines if it fell that way, which it would have. Got several more scattered that I'm not too worried about right now. But, I've got a neighbor who looks like he has lost some pines and one could threaten one of my rentals. I'm kind of concerned about it.

Yeah, those trees are going to be dropping limbs for a while before they fall. Be careful out there!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #307  
two_bit_score said:
Has your pond filled up? Most of the rain around me has soaked into the ground. Very little was able to run into the ponds.

That's what I've noticed also, our pond is much better but not full. Our rye grass is looking mighty good though.
As far as the trees go, sometimes they will surprise you. I had a few that I thought we had lost, and then the next spring they bloomed out again. There are quite a few pines around here that I think have seen their last days.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #308  
Has your pond filled up? Most of the rain around me has soaked into the ground. Very little was able to run into the ponds.

Two bit score,
It has came up about 6 feet with about 30-36 inches to overflow. The second photo shows the concrete overflow inlet on the right side surrounded by vegetation.
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 12-18-12 Pond level up.jpg
    12-18-12 Pond level up.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 12-18-12 Pond just 3 feet down.jpg
    12-18-12 Pond just 3 feet down.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 107
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #309  
bindian said:
Two bit score,
It has came up about 6 feet with about 30-36 inches to overflow. The second photo shows the concrete overflow inlet on the right side surrounded by vegetation.
hugs, Brandi

Lookin very good Brandi. Have you restocked it yet?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #310  
Two bit score,
hugs, Brandi

Looks a lot better than a previous pic I saw! :thumbsup: