Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #322  
Jim, it sounds like they did similar decorating, but much more of it in Arlington than the 2 we've visted.

Dennis, I guess I'm going to have to try a Cotton Patch again. I've only been in one and that was in Corsicana at least 12 to 15 years ago. They had 2 different size chicken fried steaks on the menu and I was hungry that day and ordered the big one. Well, it looked big, so big in fact and so much breading that I could hardly find any meat; quite possibly actually the smallest chicken fried steak I ever had. However, a lot of folks I know like the Cotton Patch, and the one in Lewisville is closed for remodeling. However, they gave their employees a list of charitable organizations that could use help and told the employees they (Cotton Patch) would pay their regular salary if they worked for one of those charitable organizations while the restaurant is being remodeled. So that's definitely a point in their favor in my eyes. Gonna have to give'em a try when they finish remodeling and reopen.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #323  
The Cotton Patch locations I've been to lately have really declined.

Good places to get a chicken fried steak are The Gin At Nolan Creek in Belton, Clear Springs in Midland, New Braunfels, San Antonio, Nacogdoches, Tyler.

Theos in Grand Prairie.

The absolute best in Texas in my opinion is (drumroll) The Barbeque Inn on Crosstimbers in Houston, Texas.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #324  
Jim, Is that "Babe's" on the North side of Decatur right off 287?? I have seen a little resteuant there going to Stice sawmill, looks nice for a "staek house".

Dennis, there is no "Babes" in or near to Decatur. In downtown Decatur on the square there is the Sweetie Pie's Ribeyes. The restaurant you are speaking of has got to be the Cow Camp Steakhouse. It's owned by the wife of a fellow TBNer. I'm not going to say who owns it because I honestly cannot recommend it. Their food is good, but service has been a bit slow the last two times I've been there. I would pick Sweetie Pie's over them.

Now Dennis, if you like Gumbo and fish, you should try GoGo Gumbo in Boyd. It doesn't look like much, but the food is terrific. Their desserts are nothing less than decadent.:licking:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #325  
The absolute best in Texas in my opinion is (drumroll) The Barbeque Inn on Crosstimbers in Houston, Texas.

A month or so ago, we stopped in the Red Robin Gourmet Burgers place in Flower Mound just because we'd never been there before. I thought it was going to just be a burger place, and my wife did order their original gourmet cheeseburger, but they have a full bar and a menu with lots of other stuff. So I had their chicken fried steak, and I've never had a better one. Oddly enough, it's not even on their online menu.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #327  
The Cotton Patch locations I've been to lately have really declined.

Good places to get a chicken fried steak are The Gin At Nolan Creek in Belton, Clear Springs in Midland, New Braunfels, San Antonio, Nacogdoches, Tyler.

Theos in Grand Prairie.

Need to go try that place in Houston.

My favorite CFS is at Hungry Jacks in Victoria, Tx. Dress code states hats off and they mean it or you won't get served.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #328  
Need to go try that place in Houston.

My favorite CFS is at Hungry Jacks in Victoria, Tx. Dress code states hats off and they mean it or you won't get served.

Haven't heard of Hungry Jacks but I'll check it out next time I get a chance.

The Barbeque Inn has been operated by the same family since the '50's. The building they are in now has been in operation since the early 1970's I think. Get a little extra gravy for your fries. Get there early for lunch or you'll wait a while.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Thanks for the tip Jim! There is a diner on the North end of town on 287 has a big sign that says "Babe's", I've never seen it before until the last couple time's I went to the mill.

Koffe Kup Cafe in Hico is great, Lynn the owner does a heck of job with that place, I remember people coming from other states to get the Migraine pie and the bread pudding is the best I've had too.

The Smoke Stack on I-20 in Thurber has been rated the best Chicken fried steak on I-20 by a travel magazine and it is probably on of our favorite places to go.

I would take Cracker Barrel over Cotton Patch any day personally.