Page 38 of 593 FirstFirst ... 28353637383940414888138538 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Default Re: Texas Fall/Winter thread!

We didn't get a drop here, which was actually a good thing since i had outside work to get done.

Jim ,I'm sure your right about Bridgeport's water level, when he showed Whitney, I got caught up in the " oh da%$" moment since I used to fish there regularly. Last time I was at Bridgeport, the boat ramps where nearly unusable.
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Furakawa 351

Quote Originally Posted by txdon View Post
    Johnp33, The little rains we have been having this Fall are helping tremendously. The ground is so dry and 10% of the Texas trees have died, about 500 million. That percentage is a little higher on my 60 acres of trees. It seems the largest trees are affected first and die. Many stock tanks (small ponds that catch runoff water for cattle to drink) dried up during the summer giving the owners a chance to clean them out. When the rains finally came late this fall the frost had set in and all our hay grasses went dormant. Almost everyone is buying hay to sustain their cows for the winter. So now the ground is wetter but nothing, but a few planted winter grasses in cultivated land (rye and oats), are growing. As you can tell Lee County Texas is cattle country.

So are you Doukhobor and have a good vegetarian Borscht recipe? What is Midway between?

It looks like Boundary B. C. is a place to escape the Texas summer heat.
    I live in Rock Creek, I have a shop, wife has a fruit stand, It is a great place, I traveled all over this continent, and hear and Oregon are the best. In the summer we raft down the Kettle River. It gets hot hear but when the sun goes down it cools down by 10 it is 65 to 70. I am not a Doukhobor, they have a large colony in Grand Forks, but the wife does make great Borscht. With the rain we have a lot of brush, but fire season is 6 months away. Guys around hear got three good crops of hay, even the dry land farmers got two. The rain and dry spells worked out perfectly. Good luck with the rain and you, and yours, have a great Christmas and a happy New Year. Today is actually our anniversary 39 years, and I am the luckiest guy I know.

Texas -from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    110 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Johnp33 View Post
    I live in Rock Creek, I have a shop, wife has a fruit stand, It is a great place, I traveled all over this continent, and hear and Oregon are the best. In the summer we raft down the Kettle River. It gets hot hear but when the sun goes down it cools down by 10 it is 65 to 70. I am not a Doukhobor, they have a large colony in Grand Forks, but the wife does make great Borscht. With the rain we have a lot of brush, but fire season is 6 months away. Guys around hear got three good crops of hay, even the dry land farmers got two. The rain and dry spells worked out perfectly. Good luck with the rain and you, and yours, have a great Christmas and a happy New Year. Today is actually our anniversary 39 years, and I am the luckiest guy I know.
    Big congrats on that 39 years, my friend. Merry Christmas!

Tractor
    110 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    What size is the watershed area for your pond? I'm trying to get about 3-1/2 acres to shed into my new ponds, but my ground is so sloped that runoff occurs pretty quickly with heavy rains.
    Jim, I'd say it's about 3-4 ac also. But, I'm not really sure, just my guess. The area around it is pretty sandy. This year is as low as it has ever been. It has never gone dry and I think it's about twenty years old. Previous owner had a pump in it and used it for a backup water supply for ag use but that's been long gone. I'd like to get it fenced off from the cows and put the pump back in and pump water to two water troughs. Eventually. The cows also have access to water from a spring fed creek.

Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Here are before and after photos of drought and lots of rain. The low water photo was taken October 15th. The full one was taken today. Right at 9 weeks apart.
    hugs, Brandi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -10-15-11-checkerboard-door   -12-23-11-pond-full  

Tractor
    110 TLB

That is just amazing, brandi.

Tractor
    Kubota L5030 1947 Farmall A John Deere Z910

Quote Originally Posted by Johnp33 View Post
    Today is actually our anniversary 39 years, and I am the luckiest guy I know.
    Johnp33, Congratulations!!!!
    We are right behind you with 36.5 years. Merry Christmas!

Pacerron, Lee County's average rain fall is 35". This year I have 10" with most of it the last 6 weeks. The drought started to really make a difference in the fall of 2010 and we had no wildflowers in the spring of 2011. Those 90+ days of over 100 to 112 degrees did us in this summer, we usually get less than a dozen.
    TXDon

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Checked my little pond yesterday, not near as purdy as Brandi's. I still lack about 4', but since my pond sits a little high in elevation, it will probably take awhile.
    42* right now with light drizzle, hoping for at least a light dusting of snow tonight, but doubtful.

Had to run to Springtown to get the Boss some Vanilla extract, even in this little Texas town, the traffic was heavy, throw in the nasty conditions and it is a "mad" house. No way you'd get me into Dallas or Ft Worth today!

No "PC" here, so MERRY CHRISTMAS you guys, best/safe wishes to you and yours during the Holidays!!!!
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Tractor
    Mahindra 6520 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Checked my little pond yesterday, not near as purdy as Brandi's. I still lack about 4', but since my pond sits a little high in elevation, it will probably take awhile.
    42* right now with light drizzle, hoping for at least a light dusting of snow tonight, but doubtful.

Had to run to Springtown to get the Boss some Vanilla extract, even in this little Texas town, the traffic was heavy, throw in the nasty conditions and it is a "mad" house. No way you'd get me into Dallas or Ft Worth today!

No "PC" here, so MERRY CHRISTMAS you guys, best/safe wishes to you and yours during the Holidays!!!!
    Merry Christmas to all of Y'all and all of Yours!
    hugs, Brandi

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Merry Christmas!!!

It's raining here. The best gift ever.

Eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -13247648162780677123-jpg  

Page 38 of 593 FirstFirst ... 28353637383940414888138538 ... LastLast