Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,111  
bindian; If you have coyotes, foxes, stray dogs, etc., you will find that your "babies" will not be around long, once out on the water. (Ask me how I know.) Best to enjoy the migratory ducks and geese as they move, as well as seeing wild birds take up residence on your pond during the summer!

However, my Beagles say, raise those rabbits! They love rabbit stew!

That's exactly why I build them an island. Booger helps keep rifraf out also. But that hawk is another problem for little ones. Gonna have to keep them in the barn a few weeks. Maybe a couple of months.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,112  
I plan on stopping in Smithville to see a Hudson sawmill demostrated

If I wasn't going to be in Houston on thursday for my MDA checkup - I'd want to know where in S'ville this sawmill demo is happening. Is it just thursday?

Mike,
Keith Waters (512) 922-3078 is a Hudson Sawmill rep there. He called me out of the blue. He is not listed on Hudson's website. Guess Hudson sent him my number. Anyway, he drives a school bus there, so a call is needed to get a demo. I think he only demos his mill. Not sure if he has any inventory. I haven't called him yet, as I wanna figure out what day I get thru there. Maybe Friday morning. Make that afternoon.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,113  
Brandi-- My diagnosis is just a lite case of Cabin Fever, pour and ice tea tumbler of your favorite beverage. After you have had a couple of beverages.......Take a nap(what else can you do?) ----the weathers lousy......you'll be better in the morning.

Ummmm! Rabbit, taste likes chicken.....only better. I love Rabbilt fajitas.......but they make me a little jumpy.

Charlie

What else can I do?:confused3: How about going to work?;) That wind last night really wore me down.:( I came home an hour early and crawled into bed.:) Got a whole 8 hours sleep.:thumbsup:
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,114  
Brandi, when I got into that, a brother & I built a one piece, 4 section, rabbit hutch, and I bought a buck & 2 does (New Zealand Whites). But before long, I bought 11 metal cages from Tractor Supply Co.:laughing:
Bird,
I'll ask TSC if they can get cages.:confused3: Thanks!:thumbsup: When I was kid, Dad built wood and wire cages or hutches. My brother and I always asked Dad to build all wire cages, like the breeder down the street did. Never liked wood supports:eek: as they were poop "traps" and hard to keep clean. All wire cages are the way to go.:cool:
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,116  
I find that all wire is hard on the feet of the rabbits. I'd rather have something that I have to clean more often, and is easier on the critter, than just look at it from a work standpoint. The more comfy the critter being raised, the more tender and healthy the meat.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,117  
Well I had to install a door between Betty bathing area and the hot tub area.:mad:. "because it's cold in the morning",:cool:, so looked at the job and decided it would cost 4500 dollars to do it right.:thumbsup:. Told her the cost. .she said "do it".:muttering:. so I started this morning,:cool2:, cost of material around 100 dollars.:). my labor.. 4400 dollars package deal.:shocked:. No matter how much liquor is needed,:drink:, framed it in, installed door, installed trim.. only the painting is left,:D, will start the first thing in the morning after I go to Lowes to get the matching color.:confused3:. within one shade of tan.:rolleyes:. That's why we can charge more .:eek:. we do it right the first time or second or keep coming back till they say enough is enough.:censored:. pros we know our business.:D.Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,118  
Suggest you look at the Craigs List in Austin area....numerous rabbit cages there now...and you are coming down this way.
rabbit cages
Rabbit Cages

http://austin.craigslist.org/zip/4321885896.html this one is free!!!

Bird,
I'll ask TSC if they can get cages.:confused3: Thanks!:thumbsup: When I was kid, Dad built wood and wire cages or hutches. My brother and I always asked Dad to build all wire cages, like the breeder down the street did. Never liked wood supports:eek: as they were poop "traps" and hard to keep clean. All wire cages are the way to go.:cool:
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,120  
Cabin fever .. I don't actually get cabin fever .. Things around here have to get done regardless of the conditions .. All these hogs need care especially in these frigid conditions .. The farrowing house is climate controlled at 70 so that's nice!!

All the outside barns face the south but it's still a lot to keep straw bedding down and waters from freezing .. Then the more straw the more cleaning .. Sometimes I real pleased to get back to the cabin!!