Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #541  
we got a good 3 inches of rain.an that pretty much filled all our ppols full.hope we keep getting these good rains.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #542  
Holy smoke, Don. If your part of the country isn't burnin' up, it's blowin' down.:confused2: You guys have gotta find a happy medium.;)

Don't forget floating away.....

Couldn't get to town this morning had to head to Giddings instead. FM 1624 was under water. Last night Lexington VFD had to do a water rescue on a oil rig on the other side of this water when 14 guys got stranded on an oil rig. Almost sounded like Lee County was in the middle of the Gulf.
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/14-oil-rig-workers-stranded-on-platform

Attachments

• FM1624.jpg
    FM1624.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 107
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Hey Dennis, any more to share on your wife's adventures of driving to work and home again?

Eddie

:laughing: We had a "discussion" that ended up with her just saying "OK" It was like talking to a belligerent kid that got caught. I guess thats how some people deal with being wrong, they get defensive. While watching the news last night, they showed quite a few motorist that had got stuck in high water, thankfully no one drowned this time, but it was an opportunity for her to say " At least I didn't get stuck in the water!" See what I'm dealing with:laughing:

Here is a photo of the creek that is usually dry, this creek is the one that crosses the road, right here it is around 3' deep in the center. I took this after she left behind the house.

0125121015.jpg

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #544  
I like ponds and the split level is nice. The one on your left was here when I bought this place and measuring from a paddle boat in several spots the deepest I found was 18' ... the second pond I had constructed. The dam for that on is 580 long ... 60' across the bottom and at the waterline 15' I've not gone out and measured the depth. I had the track hoe operator dig down two holes in the bottom before it started to fill. Pretty good sized in both diameter and depth. Had a real hard time coring that one.

Did I put my foot in my mouth, or am I just using shoe flavored mouthwash?:ashamed::laughing: Your ponds are much deeper than I guessed and I'm sure that's why the dam looks narrow. They are surely a nice view to look out over. I'd bet that on cold mornings, you have lots of mist rising off the warmer water. Do migrating birds ever come to visit?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #545  
Did I put my foot in my mouth, or am I just using shoe flavored mouthwash?:ashamed::laughing: Your ponds are much deeper than I guessed and I'm sure that's why the dam looks narrow. They are surely a nice view to look out over. I'd bet that on cold mornings, you have lots of mist rising off the warmer water. Do migrating birds ever come to visit?

LOL ... no. Yes a lot of mist and alot of ducks. Not as many Geese as I would like. Sometimes as many as 15-20 depending upon the time of the year.

My neighbor to the North has about a 5 acre pond about 800' from my fence line and he has all the Geese. His pasture is always loaded with Geese grazing...fall, winter and spring ... they leave out in the summer.

Speaking of the dam ... about 4 yrs ago when we had that really wet year, I came in one evening and told Cheryl I think the water is gonna come over the North end tonight ... yep by morning I had a gapping hole about 15' wide and 10-15' deep ... the hole was almost empty. When we fixed it we raised the North end about 4'

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #546  
Yesterday started out cloudy, damp and a little too cold. But after noon the skies cleared and it turned into a perfect day. Not a cloud in the sky. The pasture was still wet with some water in the low places. I took the dogs with me out to the pasture and they went for a swim and played fetch retrieving sticks from the tank. I found some limbs had knocked down some fence I went and cut the limbs off and got it back up and just really enjoyed just being outside as cabin fever was starting to set in.

If you want proof there's a God you should have been with me yesterday. It don't get any better than this.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Charlie, sounds like your day ended in a good way. Was pretty much the same here except the wind, man was it blowing! I was working in the mud on a small fence project (new thread here, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/232489-small-fence-sign-job.html) and the mud was getting like 10# weights on my shoes:laughing: but the real kicker was the wind, I bet it was pushing 40mph.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #548  
Even though it was a bit breezy, after school my grandson and I loaded the deer feeder with corn and then went to shoot a few baskets on his new basketball goal he got for his birthday. The goal is just leveled and sitting on a gravel pad, but the basketball bounces quite well on the gravel. You can actually dribble and shoot. If he likes basketball and plays it a lot, I may get a concrete pad poured. For now the gravel seems to work fine. It was sure a nice afternoon for being outdoors.:D

BTW: Has anyone bought sunflower seeds for birds lately? I almost put my hands up when I saw the price was almost $30 for a 50 lb bag. Whew! That's a lot to pay just so we'll have lots of bird poop on our deck and cars.:rolleyes:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #549  
Even though it was a bit breezy, after school my grandson and I loaded the deer feeder with corn and then went to shoot a few baskets on his new basketball goal he got for his birthday. The goal is just leveled and sitting on a gravel pad, but the basketball bounces quite well on the gravel. You can actually dribble and shoot. If he likes basketball and plays it a lot, I may get a concrete pad poured. For now the gravel seems to work fine. It was sure a nice afternoon for being outdoors.:D

BTW: Has anyone bought sunflower seeds for birds lately? I almost put my hands up when I saw the price was almost $30 for a 50 lb bag. Whew! That's a lot to pay just so we'll have lots of bird poop on our deck and cars.:rolleyes:

Have not bought any seeds ... but I'll ask how did you feel after shooting hoops? I lettered in HS and played college ball ... when Riley moved in we went to playing .... it set in the next morning. Muscles I forgot I had where getting ben gay !!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #550  
... but I'll ask how did you feel after shooting hoops? I lettered in HS and played college ball ... when Riley moved in we went to playing .... it set in the next morning. Muscles I forgot I had where getting ben gay !!!

Can you picture a fat ol' guy trying to do layups?. . . don't try. It ain't pretty! I just shagged balls for my grandson and cheered him on.:D