Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,341  
They are becoming quite common. Remember the 1st one I saw in person was south of Llano about 18 years ago.

Nowadays, they hang out with buzzards eating road kill. About 6 months ago I saw my 1st bald eagle just north of Lake Somerville. He was eating road kill too....

We have Caracara's (Mexican Eagles) EVERYWHERE around here. I don't go a day without seeing a bunch. Then again, they are not good at history, and probably don't realize that these parts came under new management in 1836. And are probably about to switch back in the next few years. :D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,342  
Well I sold my part out with the feed store back to having few days off...

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,343  
We have Caracara's (Mexican Eagles) EVERYWHERE around here. I don't go a day without seeing a bunch. Then again, they are not good at history, and probably don't realize that these parts came under new management in 1836. And are probably about to switch back in the next few years. :D

I've had ranchers tell me that they can peck out the eyes of newborn calves. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,344  
I've had ranchers tell me that they can peck out the eyes of newborn calves. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Yes very true with buzzards especially the black headed ones. They get tongue,eyes very aggressive compared to the normal red headed buzzards

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,346  
Is it legal to shoot them if you catch them in the act?

Yes if any animal is a threat to your livestock you have the right to take action. That doesn't mean just flying over but actually in act.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,349  
Yes if any animal is a threat to your livestock you have the right to take action. That doesn't mean just flying over but actually in act.
Yeah had the do that a few times. .22 mag really blows them up. HS

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,350  

Eyes are the first to go in dead calves and road kill however none of the ranchers around here complain about having blind live calves. There was a report in North Lee county of coyotes attacking and killing a newborn calf and chewing on the live mothers face. However, I do not think it was verified if the calf was born alive. After seeing that pack of coyotes chasing Whipper (she is part greyhound) and getting close to catching her, it does seem like the coyotes are getting more aggressive out here. There are many reports of people successively hunting the coyotes out here, and many are being killed, but according to at least one biologist that is spurring the coyote population. I have not seen a coyote in months but we are hearing them from all directions at night.

"The harder you hunt coyotes, the faster they reproduce," Shadler said. "And in fact, it grows them, like sprinkling fertilizer on them."

Hunting coyotes breeds more, biologist says | Seaforth Huron Expositor

Last edited: