Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,391  
Happy New Year, all. Cold and wet here. Temp holding steady at 37* with mist and on and offer heavier rain. Horses stayed in last night, so stalls to clean this a.m., and then a few intermittent cleanings since then. Reorganized the pantry, and cleaned the microwave and range. Went for a 5 mile walk. Now watching MSU get beaten. Not unexpected, but disappointing nonetheless.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,392  
Happy New Year from Corinth, TX, where we've gotten just a little shy of a half inch of rain so far today. And with 30 to 35 degree temperatures, we have no intention of going outdoors today. Just going to watch Rose Parade and football, and have a simple meal of blackeyed peas, fried cabbage, sliced tomatoes, and cornbread.

Bird-- It's been on the mid to upper 30's all day and so far we have about an inch of percip. We too cooked some Blackeyed peas and cornbread and for my Italian-American wife and her mother(and their Italian tradition) we had Lentils, Italian Slaw, and Cotechino Sausage........really good stuff and perfect for weather like today. So now we're wishing a Better New Year for everyone.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,393  
Bird-- It's been on the mid to upper 30's all day and so far we have about an inch of percip. We too cooked some Blackeyed peas and cornbread and for my Italian-American wife and her mother(and their Italian tradition) we had Lentils, Italian Slaw, and Cotechino Sausage........really good stuff and perfect for weather like today. So now we're wishing a Better New Year for everyone.

Charlie

What is Italian Slaw?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,394  
Scott--

They finely shred some cabbage and then sauté some(lots) of sliced Garlic in Olive oil. Let it cool and pour that over the cabbage and toss. The Olive oil & Garlic becomes the dressing like Mayo or Salad Dressing. It's good but not my favorite.

The Cotechino Sausage is out standing, however. My MIL brings it when she comes from NY and she uses it for stuffing, dressing, and in sauce. My favorite is to use it in the home-made Raviolis. It's too bad that we can't find it out here in the hinterland and we have to import it.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,395  
Sure sounds good, Charlie. We're in for another cold (but not freezing) wet day, so I've got a big crockpot of chili for today and guess I'll stay in and start cleaning out the file cabinet for another year.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,396  
Sure sounds good, Charlie. We're in for another cold (but not freezing) wet day, so I've got a big crockpot of chili for today and guess I'll stay in and start cleaning out the file cabinet for another year.

Yeah, Bird, this is a good day for those inside jobs we've been putting off. I just put a new gasket on the wood stoves door. Now I have to wait a couple of hours till I can light a fire. Still have left over Blackeyed peas and cornbread from yesterday that will even be better a day older. YUUUUUM!

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,397  
Scott--

They finely shred some cabbage and then sauté some(lots) of sliced Garlic in Olive oil. Let it cool and pour that over the cabbage and toss. The Olive oil & Garlic becomes the dressing like Mayo or Salad Dressing. It's good but not my favorite.

The Cotechino Sausage is out standing, however. My MIL brings it when she comes from NY and she uses it for stuffing, dressing, and in sauce. My favorite is to use it in the home-made Raviolis. It's too bad that we can't find it out here in the hinterland and we have to import it.

Charlie

Italian Slaw sounds pretty good. I could envision adding some red wine vinegar to the olive oil and garlic, and maybe tossing in some bits of an Italian Salami to punch it up.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,398  
Still cold and crappy here in Colorado County but, have been working on inside the shop projects and shop cleanup. Installed grab hooks on the bucket of the new LS XR4046HC yesterday and cleaned and painted same today. To wet to get anything done in pastures.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,399  
24 degrees with 15mph NNW breeze .. It's down right cold outside!!!

Wood burner has the living room at a pleasant 76 degrees .. That makes it difficult to want to get out to do those morning chores!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,400  
BR- the wind is really kicking up out of the North and they say our lows will be down in the 20's for the next couple of days. We will getting outside only when we have to.

Stay warm.

Charlie