Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,612  
Yeah I been to Leona several times and are very good too.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,614  
Its on the square. Say if you exit 142 then turn left go over the overpass and once you get to the dodge place you will turn left and go to the first light and turn left, then you'll see it. It's by Standley Feed.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x8646454c3a702ea5:0x377fe6bb52ea8346

Oh Okay. I was there a few weeks ago when I forgot to get cash (not eating) for cedar posts and stopped at the Wells Fargo bank a block west of Standley Feed.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,615  
Oh Okay. I was there a few weeks ago when I forgot to get cash (not eating) for cedar posts and stopped at the Wells Fargo bank a block west of Standley Feed.
hugs, Brandi

Try it out and let us know what you think, Brandi. If it passes your test we'll have to move the rating up to 5 stars. :)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,616  
WOW. Yesterday was almost perfect weather.........for Feb? Sat on the deck for a little beverage when Denise got home as the wind finally laid down. It's been a while since we could do that.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,617  
WOW. Yesterday was almost perfect weather.........for Feb? Sat on the deck for a little beverage when Denise got home as the wind finally laid down. It's been a while since we could do that.

Charlie

Yep, I took our little mutt for a walk in the woods in a local park, and I didn't wear any kind of jacket, then later I sat out on the deck in shorts and a t-shirt with a little beverage and cup of mixed nuts while my wife went shopping. Supposed to start cooling down again tonight.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,618  
It's still winter but not bad this morning, 30*. Looks like it will warm up nicely. So far we've had it pretty mild but, as my wife points out last year we got snow in March. Stay warm.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,619  
It's about 40F here. My wife made me some yummy chocolate coffee. We are going on our "beat the rush" Valentine date today. (I have off.)

Last night's newsflash.....

The VFD last night decided to have a practice grass fire across the street from us. Of course they DID NOT tell us in advance. About 7:40pm, my daughter comes yelling at me that there is a huge fire across the road (400 feet away). I look out and see a hundred yard wide grass fire and NO firetrucks or anything. I yell at wife to get important paper file box and load kids in van while I call 911. The 911 operator apparently did not know about it either, saying she'll send the VFD. The neighbor's wife texted my wife and said it was "practice". It took my small children hours to calm down, especially my 7 year old with a touch of autism.

If it was practice:
1) Why weren't we notified?
2) Why weren't there firetrucks between my home and the fire?
3) Prevailing winds(<5mph) blew the smoke at us.
4) Our only exit out of here had a grass fire covering the opposite side of the road. If it had jumped the road, we'd be in danger.
5) The chief of the VFD is responsible (gets paid) to cut the grass across the road. It has gotten quite high and dead. I've been thinking it needs cutting for safety reasons anyway.

I think all in all, it was a very poorly managed burn practice. IMO, the VFD owes me a couple of favors.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6,620  
It's about 40F here. My wife made me some yummy chocolate coffee. We are going on our "beat the rush" Valentine date today. (I have off.)

Last night's newsflash.....

The VFD last night decided to have a practice grass fire across the street from us. Of course they DID NOT tell us in advance. About 7:40pm, my daughter comes yelling at me that there is a huge fire across the road (400 feet away). I look out and see a hundred yard wide grass fire and NO firetrucks or anything. I yell at wife to get important paper file box and load kids in van while I call 911. The 911 operator apparently did not know about it either, saying she'll send the VFD. The neighbor's wife texted my wife and said it was "practice". It took my small children hours to calm down, especially my 7 year old with a touch of autism.

If it was practice:
1) Why weren't we notified?
2) Why weren't there firetrucks between my home and the fire?
3) Prevailing winds(<5mph) blew the smoke at us.
4) Our only exit out of here had a grass fire covering the opposite side of the road. If it had jumped the road, we'd be in danger.
5) The chief of the VFD is responsible (gets paid) to cut the grass across the road. It has gotten quite high and dead. I've been thinking it needs cutting for safety reasons anyway.

I think all in all, it was a very poorly managed burn practice. IMO, the VFD owes me a couple of favors.

Good luck collecting on that. The best place for training are at the classes given at Swift army base or at the fire training academy in College Station. When someone wants our VFD to stand by while they burn their field or brush pile I do not participate. I volunteered to put fires out not to do control burns. Period.