Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #681  
Wow, I thought it was warm for February yesterday when it got to 67, but this afternoon it's 75.:shocked: And the forecast for tomorrow is 80 degrees. Lots of small birds around my birdfeeder. And I saw a cock Cardinal trying to fight his own image in the side view mirror of a Ford F150 next door. I've seen videos of such things on the TV, but right now can't recall seeing one in person until today.

The problem with these temperatures is it lulls you into a false sense of security. You think winter is over and go out and buy tomato and pepper sets. Within a week of planting you have a hard frost and get to do it all over again.:confused2:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #682  
The problem with these temperatures is it lulls you into a false sense of security. You think winter is over and go out and buy tomato and pepper sets. Within a week of planting you have a hard frost and get to do it all over again.:confused2:

Yep, I've had that happen. One of my HVAC company technicians comes twice a year for a routine checkup of the system, and I was surprised when the lady called today to schedule a time to come at my convenience and I told her tomorrow would be just fine.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #683  
If spring is not here the wild plum trees here are fooled.

Attachments

• plumwild.jpg
    plumwild.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 71
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #684  
Got to wait for the Bois D'Arc's to bud ... then its spring ??? Also My neighbor swears if you hear thunder in February ... freeze in ????

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #685  
txdon said:
If spring is not here the wild plum trees here are fooled.

I always heard the mesquite trees were the expert when winter was over.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #686  
Either the mesquite or the pecan come out last. The wild plums are running about 50% for blooming too soon, but it does smell like spring.

I guess we will have to switch to a spring/summer thread after the last freeze.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #688  
Down here in the Valley everything smells like Citrus. Trees have full bloom of leaves and flowers. Yesterday it was 84. Today its headed to 90. Then some rain and a high of 63 on Friday.
All the rain has caused many vehicles to be stuck in the mud. They are repairing ruts in the lawn/parking spots throughout park. I have had to cut the lawn 3 times on my site this year. :thumbdown:
Miss my tractor. :(

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #689  

Yeah, been there done that!!! I now wait till the average last freeze date(March 15th) at least, but it'll have to dry out before I can get in the garden. Tried to mow the culvert out front but it was still too wet.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #690  
My Bradford Pear trees' buds appear about ready to open.