Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #61  
Dennis, I don't think I want to see the left over parts.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #62  
Good luck with the surgery. Betty sure is happy with her results last year.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #63  
Dennis, I don't think I want to see the left over parts.:laughing:

C'mon Bird, there is always a bolt or a couple of nuts left over from any chassis work. Just have 'em thrown in a bag in case you find you need them later. :D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #64  
Yesterday, my almost 12 yo grandson kept begging me to let him mow with the riding mower. Finally, after doing some other stuff and him doing homework, I got the mower out and mowed some starter rounds for him to follow. He did pretty good for the first time. His biggest problem is his legs are not long enough to push the brake and set the parking brake. Also, when he presses the reverse pedal, he sometimes comes up out of the seat and the engine dies due to the safety switch. After mowing about 20 or 30 minutes, he was done with the clear area and I needed to take back over to mow the yard around trees and obstructions. You would think I was punishing him by making him give up the mower. He was smiling from ear-to-ear. Later after I'd finished and put up the mower, he proved he was all boy by asking how much I was going to pay him for helping me mow.:laughing: I told him I wasn't going to pay him, but the next time he wanted to drive the mower, he'd have to pay me $1.00. He didn't see the humor in that.;)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Grandpa, it was worth $5 to watch him mow! and now you may have given him a life long "tractor addiction"..

I can see it 15 years from now, grandson becomes a premier tractor mechanic and Jim's tractor needs an overhaul.:D:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #66  
Yesterday, my almost 12 yo grandson kept begging me to let him mow with the riding mower. Finally, after doing some other stuff and him doing homework, I got the mower out and mowed some starter rounds for him to follow. He did pretty good for the first time. His biggest problem is his legs are not long enough to push the brake and set the parking brake. Also, when he presses the reverse pedal, he sometimes comes up out of the seat and the engine dies due to the safety switch. After mowing about 20 or 30 minutes, he was done with the clear area and I needed to take back over to mow the yard around trees and obstructions. You would think I was punishing him by making him give up the mower. He was smiling from ear-to-ear. Later after I'd finished and put up the mower, he proved he was all boy by asking how much I was going to pay him for helping me mow.:laughing: I told him I wasn't going to pay him, but the next time he wanted to drive the mower, he'd have to pay me $1.00. He didn't see the humor in that.;)

In a couple years he will become interested in girls and cars. Good luck on finding him to mow then!
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #67  

Thats cool. I gave my grandson his own pig, a gilt. When I did he was confussed why he needed a pig. It became very clear when we sold hogs and his babies brought $35 a peice x the 8 she had ... I buy all the feed and he has his record keeping system ... kinda gives him an incentive to make sure his chores are done.

I also make sure he gets paid for helping with the hay. As we sell I always hand him cash ... he pays for the items he needs for school, buys some clothes. Just helps to understand how things are done.

If its got a motor he loves driving it. He did hit the gate a few weeks ago with the trailer on the dually, didn't turn wide enough. He called on the radio "Houston we have a problem"

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #68  
Thats cool. I gave my grandson his own pig, a gilt. When I did he was confussed why he needed a pig. It became very clear when we sold hogs and his babies brought $35 a peice x the 8 she had ... I buy all the feed and he has his record keeping system ... kinda gives him an incentive to make sure his chores are done.

I also make sure he gets paid for helping with the hay. As we sell I always hand him cash ... he pays for the items he needs for school, buys some clothes. Just helps to understand how things are done.

If its got a motor he loves driving it. He did hit the gate a few weeks ago with the trailer on the dually, didn't turn wide enough. He called on the radio "Houston we have a problem"

I was 8 or 9 years old when my granddad sold his farm and brought an already bred Bershire sow to our place. He said he'd buy the feed if I'd take care of her and when she had a litter old enough to wean, he'd give me half the pigs and sell the sow and pigs. Well, she only had 5 pigs. So he sold her and 4 of the pigs and gave me the money for 2 of the pigs, plus he gave me the 5th pig. I still have a picture of him at 300 pounds when we took the blue ribbon and the showmanship ribbon (and yes, I have those ribbons, too) for the heavy weight class at the fat stock show, and Sam P. Hale (Ford dealer in Ardmore, OK) bought him at the auction for $153. I bought a good registered brood sow for $50 and went into the hog business.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #69  
I was 8 or 9 years old when my granddad sold his farm and brought an already bred Bershire sow to our place. He said he'd buy the feed if I'd take care of her and when she had a litter old enough to wean, he'd give me half the pigs and sell the sow and pigs. Well, she only had 5 pigs. So he sold her and 4 of the pigs and gave me the money for 2 of the pigs, plus he gave me the 5th pig. I still have a picture of him at 300 pounds when we took the blue ribbon and the showmanship ribbon (and yes, I have those ribbons, too) for the heavy weight class at the fat stock show, and Sam P. Hale (Ford dealer in Ardmore, OK) bought him at the auction for $153. I bought a good registered brood sow for $50 and went into the hog business.:laughing:

My dad always had a few pigs for me as well as some dairy cows in the barn. Each milk check that came a percent was mine and when we sold feeder pigs my money went into the bank ... I learned as a young man how to work and manage my money. To this day I have hogs and cattle (not dairy).

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Well, I didn't get a drop of rain, bummer. Little misty right now, the last few days have almost felt tropical compared to what we had this summer. I still have coastal growing in some areas, a PITB too, some of it looked froze and I assumed it would go dormant, NOOO. I have already drained the fuel from the lawn mower and may just let it go for the winter, if we have one.

BIRD, good luck today!!!