Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #711  
The Dallas Morning News this morning says botanists are expecting a bumper crop of bluebonnets and other wildflowers this year.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #712  
I finally got into my garden yesterday to till it up. It was damp, but tilled nicely. My wife cut back the old dry asparagus bushes from last year and we found three new spears about 10" long and 1/2" in diameter. They were tender and sweet. My wife, grandson, and I each ate one raw and noticed how sweet and tender they are. I'm gonna have to keep my grandson out of the garden if I want to get anymore. He LOVED the asparagus.:D

While my wife trimmed around the garden with my grandson, I tilled and then hauled in about 9 yd of sand to add. I'm going today to get a few loads of mule manure from my neighbor. We'll try to get onions and potatoes planted by the end of this week.

Photos of tilled garden and about half of the sand I hauled.

Attachments

• Garden-tilled-01.jpg
    Garden-tilled-01.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Garden-tilled-02.jpg
    Garden-tilled-02.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 66
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #713  
I finally got into my garden yesterday to till it up. It was damp, but tilled nicely. My wife cut back the old dry asparagus bushes from last year and we found three new spears about 10" long and 1/2" in diameter. They were tender and sweet. My wife, grandson, and I each ate one raw and noticed how sweet and tender they are. I'm gonna have to keep my grandson out of the garden if I want to get anymore. He LOVED the asparagus.:D

While my wife trimmed around the garden with my grandson, I tilled and then hauled in about 9 yd of sand to add. I'm going today to get a few loads of mule manure from my neighbor. We'll try to get onions and potatoes planted by the end of this week.

Photos of tilled garden and about half of the sand I hauled.

How far apart are your T-posts for the deer netting?

It will be time to start on the garden here soon but no plants above ground
till 20 May, last frost if lucky.
Ron

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #714  
He LOVED the asparagus

Me, too. Raw, alone or in salads, steamed with or without cheese sauce, or any other way.;)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #715  
How far apart are your T-posts for the deer netting?

It will be time to start on the garden here soon but no plants above ground
till 20 May, last frost if lucky.
Ron

15-20 feet is fine (mine are 12-15). All you want is to hold the netting kinda snug. You really won't have any deer test its strength. You may have other critters test it or chew holes in it, but it ain't a raccoon or possum proof material for sure. I like the wide distance because we just use wire ties and take the fence down on the front side of the garden every spring to do the tilling. This will be the third year on this fence and it is still strong with no notable deterioration. I'm sold on this product.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah. . . I added about 6 cu yds of mule manure today and tilled it in. I shoulda done that last fall, but I'm an expert procrastinator.;)

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #716  
Oh yeah. . . I added about 6 cu yds of mule manure today and tilled it in. I shoulda done that last fall, but I'm an expert procrastinator.;)

I'm a 4 star General at Procrastination...:laughing:

Was that manure kind of stubborn to put down? Does it have the strength of 40 mules?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!

You have to have a certification card to be an expert Jim:laughing:My card, says "bum" on it, keep it by the round wood thing that says "TUIT":D

Do you have the netting all the way around, or ?? what brand again?

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #719  
Do you have the netting all the way around, or ?? what brand again?

Dennis, I'll have to check again, but there are definitely two separate products out there. One is lightweight and costs less than $25 for a 100' x 7' tall roll. The other one is around $75 for the same amount, but the difference is how heavy the fencing is. The $25 one weighs 2 lb per roll. The $75 one weighs 7 lb. That's the only way you can tell the difference when ordering. I believe I bought mine on sale for around $65 per roll. In my opinion, it's worth the extra money. The lightweight mesh might work for one year. I'm afraid I haven't made that clear when others have asked about the mesh. The one I recommend is the heavier mesh. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Gardener-LG400171-100-Foot-Barrier/dp/B000A16T7M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_4"]Here's a link [/ame]to the mesh on Amazon.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #720  
Jim, does the netting keep out all critters (except for the raccoons)?