Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,491  
These are on sale in Los Angeles. 110% off and free shipping!

IMG_1540.JPG

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,492  
Yes, there are male and female cottonwood trees. The one that used to be next door was a female. That's the one that produces seed and the "cotton". We were once in Big Bend and visited a campground that had lots of cottonwood trees, and the RVers couldn't run their air-conditioners without them clogging up with that cotton. If you only have the male trees, no problem. But I'd not sure how you'd tell which is which if you were getting a young one to plant. I'm sure someone must know how to tell.

I would then imagine mine is male. They also make great firewood. Dad used to tell me stories of going down to the creek and cutting cottonwoods up with a double man crosscut saw. I have that saw hanging in my barn. I'm gonna have that scene, cutting down trees along the creek, painted on it for a wall in my retirement house.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,493  
They also make great firewood.

:laughing::laughing:Many, many years ago, when my parents and my brothers lived in Anchorage, my youngest brother had just bought a new house and found a place where the trees were being cut down for a power line right of way and free firewood was available to anyone who wanted it. So he went and cut up a big pickup load, hauled it home, stacked it, etc. He SAID it was cotton wood, and that the first time he burned any, it smelled so bad that he loaded it all up and hauled it off. So he said you NEVER want to use cottonwood in your fireplace.:laughing:

Now I don't know whether he knew what cottonwood was or not, whether what he had was cottonwood or not, etc. and since I've never burned any cottonwood, I took his word for it, and now I'll take your word for the opposite view.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,494  
:laughing::laughing:Many, many years ago, when my parents and my brothers lived in Anchorage, my youngest brother had just bought a new house and found a place where the trees were being cut down for a power line right of way and free firewood was available to anyone who wanted it. So he went and cut up a big pickup load, hauled it home, stacked it, etc. He SAID it was cotton wood, and that the first time he burned any, it smelled so bad that he loaded it all up and hauled it off. So he said you NEVER want to use cottonwood in your fireplace.:laughing:

Now I don't know whether he knew what cottonwood was or not, whether what he had was cottonwood or not, etc. and since I've never burned any cottonwood, I took his word for it, and now I'll take your word for the opposite view.:laughing:
Don't know Bird. Never burnt it myself. But my Dad and His Dad and brothers always cut cottonwood down at the creek, as that was the most numerous near the farm
Now I do know.....................................don't burn dogwood.
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,495  
I think the tallow trees are male and female also. I’ve planted several in the last 30 years. Basically just moved em from one spot in the pasture to another in the yard. Some produce a small fruit or ball and others never do. I wanted trees that grew fast. Don’t have time to wait 30 years for a tree to get good sized. I did plant an ash in 1988 when I got married. It grew quick and is a beautiful tree. Not sure what kind of ash. Arizona maybe. On another note, talking about smells, we’ve cut several kinds of hardwoods in the stirrup shop and sometimes you notice a distinct smell. We use mostly red oak and pin oak but also elm, pecan, and walnut among others. On occasion some mesquite. There was one that smelled like peanut butter when cutting it on the bandsaw. Zebrawood smells like a zoo.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,496  
Hey Y'all,
I want all Y'all to have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING. Give thanks, eat a lot, and take long walks with loved ones.

It seems each year I add another catered dish to my table. This year it is baked potato caserole from my favorite Bar-B-Q place. I won't be making Yum Yum salad this year. Seems I am the only one that likes it over pie and we have pies. I am not doing a bacon turkey this year either, but getting a smoked one from my second best bar-b-q place. Texas:us-texas: and bar-b-q, y'a gotta love them!
hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,497  
I have light cooking duty this year compared to the last I don’t know how many. Think I’ll try making a couple buttermilk custard pies. Not a big fan of turkey. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,498  
I am smoking 3 racks of ribs for Thanksgiving this year, not into the traditional fare any longer, just good times with family and friends.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,499  
I don’t care for the traditional turkey and dressing. We usually do have it. Last year it was enchiladas.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #7,500  
Be sure to give Thanks on Thanksgiving. I love turkey, especially dressing and gravy. We are having tamales and chili on Thurs, and Turkey on Friday.