Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #811  
Jim, How old is your asparagus plants? they look good. IIRC it took mine a few years to get going, but once they did, it was great.

Wish I had been able to post more Fall photos, been a pretty trip, the few times I was awake in the daytime.

Dennis, I didn't notice your question until just now. BTW: Can you do those parking lots if they are covered in snow?;):D

Our asparagus isn't very old. The biggest plants have had three growing seasons and our smaller plants have had two growing seasons. Those growing seasons include the year they were planted as crowns. This last year has produced phenomenal growth. We had plenty to eat and each plant has at least a dozen stems going up to the fern tops and hopefully storing big amounts of energy in the crowns below. I'll cut them back after first frost and then cover the beds with organic humus. :thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #812  
Jim, How old is your asparagus plants? they look good. IIRC it took mine a few years to get going, but once they did, it was great.

Wish I had been able to post more Fall photos, been a pretty trip, the few times I was awake in the daytime.

Dennis, I didn't notice your question until just now. BTW: Can you do those parking lots if they are covered in snow?;):D

Our asparagus isn't very old. The biggest plants have had three growing seasons and our smaller plants have had two growing seasons. Those growing seasons include the year they were planted as crowns. This last year has produced phenomenal growth. We had plenty to eat and each plant has at least a dozen stems going up to the fern tops and hopefully storing big amounts of energy in the crowns below. I'll cut them back after first frost and then cover the beds with organic humus. :thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!

Got to plant some asparagus, sure miss'em. You do the same thing i did as far as letting them grow out, then mulching. I guess thats the "common" way of growing good asparagus.

As far as painting, if it's snowing or raining, you just have to use a water base paint:D Weather has been great, to a bit cool. We dodged snow in Frisco/Vail and where fortunate. Right now it's warmer here than SW Wise county! 71* here in Las Cruces today:thumbsup:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #814  
Columbus Day and 34 degrees this morning with plenty of visible frost in our neighborhood.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #815  
Bird, it was 31.5 F here this morning with lots of frost on the grass. I'm not gonna admit how late I got up, but it might have been a bit cooler just before sunrise.:confused3:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #816  
Not much going on with the weather here. Cool, but no rain. Just enough motion to mess with the sinus allergys. Everything is green, but the ponds need more water. Send rain, please.
hugs, Brandi

Dry at my place too! cool weather though. I need to get my oats planted today, may get some rain Set-Sunday.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #818  
Got to plant some asparagus, sure miss'em. You do the same thing i did as far as letting them grow out, then mulching. I guess thats the "common" way of growing good asparagus.
This is my first attempt at growing asparagus. The plants grew out and started seeding, so I figgered it was time to cut'em back. Soon as I cut them, several spears popped up almost overnight... I just let the plants grow out because it's their first year. Are they supposed to grow out every year? Or should the plants be kept cut to the ground?

Our banana pepper plants have been producing peppers like crazy all summer, wifey sez she's tired of looking at them. :laughing: Only have four plants, but have canned maybe 20 or so quarts so far...and the plants are still blooming... :)

- djb

BJB, I always let mine go to "fern", I either cut them down ofter the second frost, or just before Spring growing season, then I would add an inch or two of good mulch. That;s the way my grandfather told me and it seemed to work well.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #820  
I think mulch with cow manure mixed in is a good row cover during the winter. I use organic humus and cow manure bought by the bag. I don't cut back until the hard frost hits like Dennis does. I only cut spears until I decide to let ferns develop. You can't keep cutting spears all summer. You have to let your ferns grow and put energy back into the crowns. If you let the red seeds drop, you may be able to get some seedlings for transplanting also. Some folks have had success planting them inside in potting soil, but it's hard for me to go to that trouble when the crowns we planted are doing so well.

djb: Do you make pickled banana pepper rings? If you have a empty pickle jar or partially full, you can cut the pepper rings after removing seeds and then let them come to room temperature or warm them under water. Then, put them into the pickle jar (pack it full) and let them sit in the refrigerator for a couple of days. As they chill, they'll draw in the pickling compound and be very good. Use them on sandwiches or salads for a great flavor boost.