Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #851  
Don, I should have said small plants. There are plenty of large plants and vines I'm not crazy about. Greenbriars and Poison Ivy come to mind. I do like mesquite chips to use in my smoker. I have two mesquite trees on my whole place and still have managed to get two tractor flats from the thorns.:mad:

Jim, no mesquite out here in East Texas, but I have a big Honey Locust that I can't get within a 100 feet of. It's not going to give me another flat tire on the tractor if I can help it.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
While out clearing some brush yesterday, I was surprised to find an old bee hive that had been abandoned 2 years ago, was active and open for business:thumbsup: It's in a cavity in a large Oak, all summer we have seen exactly 3 honey bee's, actually quite alarming, especially with the decline they're reporting. This colony will get the "kid glove" treatment:D I know they aren't Africanized, My tractor tire scraped bark off the opening, while I was "hugging" the tree to push off a 3' dead limb that blocks a view from my deer stand, they buzzed up, I backed off, life goes on. I like those bees!!!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #853  
I have two mesquite trees on my whole place and still have managed to get two tractor flats from the thorns.

I guess I was lucky in that I never got a flat on my tractor, inspite of the mesquite. However, one day I was helping a neighbor load so cattle in a trailer to go to auction when I stepped on a mesquite limb I didn't see and a thorn went right through the bottom of my shoe and into my foot.:mad: Since it was in a messy cow lot, I went by a doctor's office and got a tetanus shot.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #856  
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #857  
Dadgummit!!! They can fry Twinkies, and they can fry butter, but now they've gone too far. :mad::mad::mad:

RIP Big Tex.:(

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #858  
Oh no! Not Big Tex. I got to see him once back in high school. We had a marching band contest in the Cotton Bowl. Yes, I played in the Cotton Bowl! That place is awesome. News I googled on Big Tex says he will be back next year..........better than ever!!! Don't Mess with Texas.
hugs, Brandi

And we (my wife, her sister, and myself) just saw him yesterday. Wonder when we'll find out what caused the fire.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #859  
And we (my wife, her sister, and myself) just saw him yesterday. Wonder when we'll find out what caused the fire.

Bird, they are saying it was an overload or short in the electrical junction box in his boot area. You'd have thought somebody would smell something getting hot, but maybe not with all the smells around the fair. The heat went right up inside the open frame body and flames exploded around his neck.

I'm thinking it was a conspiracy to keep him from becoming old enough to draw Social Security. Big Tex was a Boomer, you know?:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #860  
Yeah, Jim, Big Tex was gettin' up in years, but he still looked pretty good yesterday. By the way, we probably should have taken your advice and ridden the trains yesterday, but I drove down there instead, as usual. And I don't guess I've ever seen any more traffic, so it was slow going, but at least no accidents to shut down the roads anywhere, so no problems other than just being slow.