Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #881  
Don, I'm really interested to see how your peanuts turn out. My dad used to insure lots of peanut and cotton crops back in the late '50s and early '60s. Back in those days, much of the peanut crops and cotton crops were done with manual labor. I still remember going with my dad to the cotton gin he insured. On the way there, we watched people in the fields picking cotton and dragging those big bags. I thought that would be fun until I learned how little they got paid. Pulling cotton, where they picked the entire boll, paid about half of what picking the cotton lint out of the boll paid. Cotton pickers had rough, sore, calloused fingers from picking the cotton out of the hard scratchy boll. Even as a kid, I knew that was no way to make a living.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #882  
Here is the pulled crop of peanuts. The plot was 10'X10' after a few days of drying I'll pull them off the stalks and measure the amount.
A lot are sprouting in the shells, anybody know what I did wrong? The peanuts were just starting to turn yellow.

The peanuts are drying on the fence and Whipper is on guard duty for raccoons, deer, squirrels, hogs and crows.

Attachments

• peanuts1.jpg
    peanuts1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 95
  • peanuts 2.jpg
    peanuts 2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #883  
Even having been a peanut addict most of my life, I've never learned anything about growing and harvesting them. I know when the dryer was running at the Lee County Peanut Company it was almost as loud as a jet engine.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #884  
Like Bird, I'm no peanut expert. My dad insured lots of crops, but I wasn't old enough to really pay attention to anything but the bags and bags of raw peanuts they harvested. I suspect your long dry summer followed by early fall rains is what caused your peanuts to resprout in the ground. How many total days of growing did they have?

I'm sure that Whipper is going to have his work cut out for him. I'd bet crows, squirrels, and 'coons will want to come to the harvest. Some of those peanuts look to be almost 3" long.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Don, maybe make some good boiled peanuts out of those:D I loved those when I was a kid, havnet had them in over 40 years.

Drove doown to Houston yesterday for a small job, I have to say, it is the "greenest" I have seen this country in probably 3 years! Really nice drive...till I got to Houston:thumbdown:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #886  
Don, maybe make some good boiled peanuts out of those I loved those when I was a kid, havnet had them in over 40 years.

Dennis, only one of the 4 Walmarts we visit has boiled peanuts. They had both plain and barbecued. So I got one can of each to try. My wife only tasted one of the plain ones. I tasted one plain one and one barbecued one, and threw it all in the garbage. It's the first I knew that peanuts could be ruined.:laughing:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #887  
Don, maybe make some good boiled peanuts out of those:D I loved those when I was a kid, havnet had them in over 40 years.

Drove doown to Houston yesterday for a small job, I have to say, it is the "greenest" I have seen this country in probably 3 years! Really nice drive...till I got to Houston:thumbdown:

Dennis,
Tell me about it. The hardest part of my job is getting down to Hobby:airplane: 4 nights a week. But this is in the PM. Coming home in the AM rush hour is nuts.
hugs, Brandi:us-texas::cowgirl:

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
Dennis, only one of the 4 Walmarts we visit has boiled peanuts. They had both plain and barbecued. So I got one can of each to try. My wife only tasted one of the plain ones. I tasted one plain one and one barbecued one, and threw it all in the garbage. It's the first I knew that peanuts could be ruined.:laughing:

Bird, I have never seen them in a "can", that may be the problem, the ones we had when I was young, came right out of the pot!

Dennis,
Tell me about it. The hardest part of my job is getting down to Hobby:airplane: 4 nights a week. But this is in the PM. Coming home in the AM rush hour is nuts.
hugs, Brandi:us-texas::cowgirl:

Brandi, I feel for you having to deal with this town, I guess a girl has to do what a girl has to do, me, I'd be packing my bags:laughing: I finished up at 6am in League City and just got a motel, to old and onry (sp) and tired to fight the Houston traffic all the way to the North side:D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #890  
Bird, I have never seen them in a "can", that may be the problem, the ones we had when I was young, came right out of the pot!

Brandi, I feel for you having to deal with this town, I guess a girl has to do what a girl has to do, me, I'd be packing my bags:laughing: I finished up at 6am in League City and just got a motel, to old and onry (sp) and tired to fight the Houston traffic all the way to the North side:D

I will move way away for retirement. I'm a native Houstonian. Raised on the north side in the suburbs. Now, living an hour from work is not far enough out. Conroe/Willis is too big for me now.
hugs, Brandi