Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #1  

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Well figured I'd start one to cover the up coming cool down:D Especially since every one on TBN, except maybe 3, are Texans:laughing: If your one of those "3", please post all ya want:thumbsup:

I did hear on the news that Cities in North Dallas have gone to stage 3 water restrictions, that's water the yard 2 times a month! They're saying probably going to stage 4 by Spring!!:(

I guess the close to 7" over the last month has done little to build up our reserves.

As usual, deer season will likely be warm, after a cool front blows through Wednesday, warm weekend then rain Monday and Tuesday. We'll see.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #2  
In central Texas all we have is perfect (60-80 degrees) weather with no moister. That last 1 1/2" rain we had over a month ago was it for the summer. My "Frog" pond clean out project is complete. I'll post a before/after picture tonight on this thread tonight. I even planted rye grass to stop the erosion if it ever rains. Cold front will be down here Thursday and we have 20% rain prediction.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #3  
Local news stated this morning that the drought conditions are expected to last another year. Thats going to be tough to handle.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #4  
Once that high pressure system that was over Texas all summer moved off it seems to me our weather has turned to normal for this time of year. While this doesn't mean we will recover the lost rain totals I see no reason why normal rain falls would not be in our future. I understand the public water utilities have to plan for the worst I myself am not worried.

HS

Last edited:
   / Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5  
Cold front will be down here Thursday and we have 20% rain prediction.

You should go down to Paige and see if you can wring a better forecast out of that retired weatherman who lives down there.;)

Every rain storm we get, I look at central TX to see if there's any rain there. While our rains up here have normalized for fall, yours are continuing to be drought conditions. I hope things change for you soon. The only critters who seem to like it dry are snakes, mice, and fire ants.:mad:

Edit: Oh yes! ...and grasshoppers.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #6  
I did hear on the news that Cities in North Dallas have gone to stage 3 water restrictions, that's water the yard 2 times a month! They're saying probably going to stage 4 by Spring!!

I'm surprised that Corinth is still in Stage 1, which actually means no restrictions, just a request for voluntary conservation.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
I haven't kept up with our lake levels, they where down severely, not sure which ones the cities draw from though.

Last I heard we where only about at an 8" deficit, of course it was more over the summer.

Should get our first freeze Thursday night at least at my place, did the wood splitting thing yesterday, man I need to get a gas powered splitter!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #8  
You guys need to jack the Canadians up to share some of that arctic air. We pushed plenty of Pacific storms across the continent last winter, but they busted right through the northern states because the Canadians were so chintzy with their arctic ridges.

Same deal with that bathtub you call a Gulf. It puts out plenty of moisture, but it takes a cold snap to ripen it into a rain crop.

Maybe you need to occupy Ottowa. :D

Or Saskatoon. :D :D

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread!
You guys need to jack the Canadians up to share some of that arctic air. We pushed plenty of Pacific storms across the continent last winter, but they busted right through the northern states because the Canadians were so chintzy with their arctic ridges.

Same deal with that bathtub you call a Gulf. It puts out plenty of moisture, but it takes a cold snap to ripen it into a rain crop.

Maybe you need to occupy Ottowa. :D
Or Saskatoon. :D :D

:laughing: Right!! The high pressure has been the biggest factor, keeps pushing the gulf moisture SW and the jet stream from your way North

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #10  
I haven't kept up with our lake levels, they where down severely, not sure which ones the cities draw from though.

Last I heard we where only about at an 8" deficit, of course it was more over the summer.

Should get our first freeze Thursday night at least at my place, did the wood splitting thing yesterday, man I need to get a gas powered splitter!

I saw something in the news a couple of days ago that we have about a 10" deficit, but I think that was for the state as a whole instead of any particular area.

Our water comes from Lake Lewisville and it is supposedly about 6.74' low right now.