Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Deere 4410,Case 430 industrial

I love my central boiler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outdoor Wood Burners-image-3526342212-png  

Tractor
    Mahindra 4035

I have one and heat two homes. Have had it about 10 years. They do like their wood. That's for sure

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

Default Re: Outdoor Wood Burners

They use a ton of wood to keep going. Afriends neighbor has one and when they leave he will fill it for them. He said it will litteraly take a wheel barrow load of wood to fill it up. And you have to fill it every day when cold or everyother on cold days i think. If your house is 1900 feet, which isnt that small, i would get a wood stove or put an insert into your home. Even if your house is not to open (mines not) you can circulate the air with fans into the warm room. I have the big high valley catalyst stove and it can burn as an insert, like i have it, or as a free standing unit. I burn about a cord maybe less on cold days. The catalyst or EPA non catalyst stove use 30% less wood than the old stoves. I get plenty of heat from it and only load it every 8-12 hours. Once engaged it will put almost no visible smoke out of the chimney.

If you need to buy wood ($150-200 cord in my area) you will not come out cheaper, unless you buy it by the 7 cord 10 wheel log truck load and buck it and slit it yourself. There are plenty ways to get free wood, but it requires work. I cut on public land but live close to lots of public land. A fire wood permit is $10 to cut dead trees which there are plenty of! If you live in a subdivision with covenants forget about it! It will be messy and you will have sheds/and or piles and work areas with piles of wood in various stages the sizes or cars. You can get tree services to "drop" off wood for free at your house after removals. But you may end up with some 3ft in diameter, you need to have the stuff or muscle to deal with it! You can haul pallets from businesses and cut them up and burn them, it takes hundreds of pallets for a winter i would think as it will burn fast in such small pices. You can burn construction debris like untreated dimentional wood etc.

Tell us more about you and your area? Do you live in the country like me with just no land (my farm is 3 hours from my permanant residence) or do you live in a city? Do you own a chainsaw, have you ever spit wood, are you willing to buy a hydro splitter?
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20HST

Quote Originally Posted by Chad2660 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with outdoor wood burners? We have a fairly small home (approx. 1,900Sq/Ft) and we are currently all electic. I have no experience with this and I'm wondering if investing in an outdoor wood burner would be a good option for us to cut our heating bills. The cheapest units appear to be about $3,000-$4,000, and I'd like to know if anyone could tell me their experience with these units.

Can anyone provide an estimate of how long it would take to get a return on the investment. I dont have access to cut my own wood so I'll need to purchase the wood as well. Also, how often do you need to re-load these with wood? Thanks in advance.
    I would take a look at the pellet stoves.
    /l ,[____],
    l---L-OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Take a look at this gasser.

Multi Fuel Stove | WoodMaster Flex Fuel Furnace Series | WoodMaster

They have a $2000 rebate going on right now. You can burn wood or wood pellets in the same unit.

Nice looking, lots of options.
    pellets are $5.00 a bag in my area !
    Father, GNCC racer, KTM rider, Bow hunter, Farm owner.
    Kubota MX5100
    Dodge 2500 CTD
    Yamaha YZ 250

Tractor
    Yanmar 186d, JD 314

We have a pellet stove in the living room, and go through about 2.5 bags a week to heat 1900 sq ft, in the worst part of the winter and found that if I turn on the fan in the master bathroom, witch is in the far end of the house, the heat will move through the house, but we are well insulated, 2x6 walls and R 38 plus in the overhead. Double pane windows. That said, during power outages, can run it with a cord and a cheap inverter off a car battery for a long time.
    Yanmar 186D 1981
    5 foot Unknown brush hog.
    5 foot HF Finish mower.
    5 foot J-Bar back blade.
    HF Quick Hitch.
    Home made land leveler.
    Countyline Middle Buster.

Tractor
    Power Trac 1850, NH 2120

Quote Originally Posted by scesnick View Post
    I had one for three of the longest yrs of my life. I hated it and it absolutely ate wood. I thankfully sold it and bought an indoor wood/coal boiler and it is way way more efficient, ASME stamped and actually cheaper.

My burn time with the outdoor unit was no more than 8 hours.
    You did something wrong in sizing your unit or picking the brand that you did or ? I heat my house, shop and hot water and can easily get a 24 hour burn if I so desire. Before I added the shop, it used about 15 - 20% more wood than an inside wood stove but my house was warmer and it provided the hot water as well. I also liked that there was no mess in the house and I did not have to pay for a new chimney nor worry about a fire in the house.

There is a huge variation in the quality and efficiencies of wood boilers. Family and friends liked mine so much that they asked that I become a dealer so they could get them as well. They have all been extremely happy with their wood boilers. Like any wood burning heating system, if you do not enjoy cutting your own firewood, they make less sense.

Ken
    PT1850, mini hoe, grapple, stump grinder, brush hog

http://www.usadiscountgenerators.com...T1850Home.html

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by SpringHollow View Post
    You did something wrong in sizing your unit or picking the brand that you did or ? I heat my house, shop and hot water and can easily get a 24 hour burn if I so desire. Before I added the shop, it used about 15 - 20% more wood than an inside wood stove but my house was warmer and it provided the hot water as well. I also liked that there was no mess in the house and I did not have to pay for a new chimney nor worry about a fire in the house.

There is a huge variation in the quality and efficiencies of wood boilers. Family and friends liked mine so much that they asked that I become a dealer so they could get them as well. They have all been extremely happy with their wood boilers. Like any wood burning heating system, if you do not enjoy cutting your own firewood, they make less sense.

Ken
    My unit was sized for 6,000 sq, ft and my house is 3,500 sq ft. Mine was a wood only unit. I live on top of an extremely windy and cold mountian.
    There is no indoor mess with my new multi fuel boiler. It is inside my detached garage. It cost about one third as much as an outdoor unit and is way more efficient. I have seen many indoor coal boilers that are 50-60 yrs old and still going strong.
    Not many outdoor furnaces around over 20 yrs old that haven't been welded and patched up at some point. Atleast that I have seen. Non pressurized will not last near as long as pressurized. Oxygen= corrosion.
    I have yet to find an outdoor unit that is ASME stamped and the muti fuel indoor boiler is not in danger of being banned in my area.

Outdoor furnaces ( which are actually boilers since they are heating water) have been replaced by more efficient and longer lasting gasification and multi fuel pressurized units. They were nice in their time, but their time has passed.
    Father, GNCC racer, KTM rider, Bow hunter, Farm owner.
    Kubota MX5100
    Dodge 2500 CTD
    Yamaha YZ 250

Tractor
    Power Trac 1850, NH 2120

Mine has a 30 year warranty. I also use 3rd party anti-corrosion chemicals in addition to the anode. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but a small amount of oxygen entering an oxygen depleted sealed system is extremely corrosive so I would still protect your system. There are very good gasification outdoor wood boilers. Being inside or outside does not change the technology.

BTW, you definitely do not want to size your boiler based on stated square footage. 1000 sq ft in Texas needs a lot less heat than 1000 sq ft in Alaska. Where I live in NY, an "8000 sq ft" model is what we use on a 2400 sq ft house if we want 18 - 24 hour burn capabilities when necessary. I do not even know how one would compare sq ft ratings between companies. The knowledge of your dealer is very important when picking a boiler.

I am sorry your system did not work out for you but I am glad you now have something you are happy with.

Ken
    PT1850, mini hoe, grapple, stump grinder, brush hog

http://www.usadiscountgenerators.com...T1850Home.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12