burning bark

/ burning bark #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
i had this discussion with my neighbor at the farmers market. we were talking about standing dead locust and how nice it is to find a convenient one to quickly replenish the firewood supply. You can tell i don't get my firewood ahead of time. you know how you can pretty much tear off the bark in long pieces? he said he burns that bark. i've been using wood for heat for a long time and i always leave the bark on the ground in the woods. is it worth gathering to burn? i would think it would burn pretty quick. anyone gather and burn it?

/ burning bark #2  
Never tried burning bark. I guess I should at least try; but around my wood pile/splitting areas the ground is covered with the bark that comes off. Also, I tend to toss it in my road/path to and from the front door to the wood pile. I am referring to the slabs of bark that comes off of wood, especially hickory, after it has been cut, stacked, and dried......

Makes for great ground cover and traction where I drive the RTV in the wood distribution/burning route...........God bless.......Dennis

/ burning bark #3  
Sure it will burn. But it isnt as dense and usually wetter.

It wont produce as much heat, burns faster, and will create more ash, but it will burn. Its also good for starting the fire too, because it takes quicker that the wood itself.

We dont burn just bark, but we dont burn just wood either. In other words, if the bark stays with the wood through out all the handling/splitting all the way to the stove, it gets burnt. IF it happens to fall off somewhere along the way, we dont pick it back up.

/ burning bark #4  
Randy, Speaking only of locust bark: it will match light & is great kindling. I know of no other bark that burns as well. When loose is does tend to harbor bugs so strip loose bark outside, preferably after a good freeze. Miked74T

/ burning bark #5  
Randy, Speaking only of locust bark: it will match light & is great kindling. I know of no other bark that burns as well. When loose is does tend to harbor bugs so strip loose bark outside, preferably after a good freeze. Miked74T

Agree, i love when i can get locust bark. It match lights and burns hot so it makes the best fire starter you can get.

/ burning bark
now i'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow morning when i start the stove.

/ burning bark #7  
Locust bark is some of the best kindling there is in my opinion :thumbsup::confused2::D

/ burning bark #8  
I have used Douglas fir Bark and it works great to establish a bed of coals in the fire. I just build the fire on top of a piece of bark and it works well. I too have wondered if I should collect the bark, I have big piles of bark that I am throwing in the burn pile but I may stack some in the shed and see what happens next winter. :)

/ burning bark #9  
MikeD74T said:

Birch bark also makes great fire starter/kindling. An easy way to collect birch bark is to score the logs length-wise before bucking. The bark peels off as the wood dries.

/ burning bark #10  
Cedar bark. Pulls off nicely in strips, lights and burns quickly.