Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney?

/ Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney? #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
I'm taking delivery of a pellet stove this week. I had planned on venting through a wall, but I have an existing masonry clay lined chimney I had used for a wood stove years ago that I'm thinking about as an alternative to going through the wall with a vent kit. From the pellet stove instruction book this appears doable and will provide a natural draft in the event of a power failure. The stove dealer had suggested/recommended lining the existing chimney with stainless piping. I'm not sure he is simply making this recommendation so he can sell the pipe for lining the chimney or if there would be an issue of drafting properly. The chimney is lined with 8" clay tile.

Wondering if anyone else has vented a pellet stove through an existing chimney and has it worked out OK.

/ Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney? #2  
We do this, no pipe liner, works fine.

/ Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney? #3  
I had one installed in existing fireplace. They left the existing pipe and insatlled a stainless inside of it. Not sure if that was required but that's what they did.

/ Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney? #4  
My Quadra fire instructions say you can do both. But the dealer where we purchased it from, recommended we install a liner. The kit was around $250.00 and took less then an hour to do.

/ Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney? #5  
That's the only we I've done it for the last decade. I've always used a flex SST pipe all the way up and out of the top of the chimney. One does need to make sure none of the exhaust can make its way back into the room. We currently have the chimney sealed off at the top.

Also wise if possible to use outside air for combustion.

/ Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney? #6  
The stove dealer had suggested/recommended lining the existing chimney with stainless piping./QUOTE]

Depends on the area of the chimney. If it is too large it will not keep vent gasses at the proper velocity for good draft.

The insurance company may also require the liner.

Strongly consider the liner.:thumbsup:

/ Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney? #7  
It will work no doubt especially if you at least go 5-6' up with some sort of exhaust pipe but seeing as how the pellet stove is a positive draft. (pressure)

You may not have much draft going up a chimney just dumping it in there there isn't much heat in a pellet stove exhaust a 3" liner/tube ran out the top would be fool proof imho. Now the stove wont work worth a flip if it has any back pressure so thats a consideration however you vent it. fwtw

/ Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney?
Below is a screen shot of the manual (Harman pellet stove) regarding a chimney install. The chimney is in good condition with the clay tile liner, so according to the manufacturer an install without a liner should be OK. The stove dealer recommends a liner, as well as some of the posters here, so I'm still not sure which direction to head in regarding going into the chimney.
My alternative install would be about 72" of pipe at a 45 deg angle from the house wall to clear from under a porch roof and would be cheaper than the chimney liner.

Attachments

• Pellet Stove into Chimney.jpg
    Pellet Stove into Chimney.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 9,232
   / Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney? #9  
Stove shop told us that the liner is used to ensure no leaks and it is the right size (not too big). If your clay liner is in good shape, and not way big, sounds like it would work to just use it.

/ Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney? #10  
Big problem without a liner, with an exterior chimney, a pellet stove doesn't produce enough waste heat via exhaust to make the chimney draft well.