Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2216

Default Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney?

I'm taking delivery of a pellet stove this week. I had planned on venting through a wall, but I have an existing masonry clay lined chimney I had used for a wood stove years ago that I'm thinking about as an alternative to going through the wall with a vent kit. From the pellet stove instruction book this appears doable and will provide a natural draft in the event of a power failure. The stove dealer had suggested/recommended lining the existing chimney with stainless piping. I'm not sure he is simply making this recommendation so he can sell the pipe for lining the chimney or if there would be an issue of drafting properly. The chimney is lined with 8" clay tile.

Wondering if anyone else has vented a pellet stove through an existing chimney and has it worked out OK.

Tractor
    MF 1240 with FEL

Default Re: Venting a Pellet Stove in Existing Chimney?

We do this, no pipe liner, works fine.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    NH TN75, Kubota M7040, Kubota M110, John Deere 650

I had one installed in existing fireplace. They left the existing pipe and insatlled a stainless inside of it. Not sure if that was required but that's what they did.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    All John Deere 425 x485 2305 4x2 Gator L130

My Quadra fire instructions say you can do both. But the dealer where we purchased it from, recommended we install a liner. The kit was around $250.00 and took less then an hour to do.

Tractor
    Yanmar Fx24D, Cub 3204

That's the only we I've done it for the last decade. I've always used a flex SST pipe all the way up and out of the top of the chimney. One does need to make sure none of the exhaust can make its way back into the room. We currently have the chimney sealed off at the top.

Also wise if possible to use outside air for combustion.
    Yanmar Fx24D,
    Koyker 155 loader,
    RSB-1300 tiller
    Cub 3204, 48" mower
    Bolen 1257 GT with tiller

[QUOTE]The stove dealer had suggested/recommended lining the existing chimney with stainless piping./QUOTE]

Depends on the area of the chimney. If it is too large it will not keep vent gasses at the proper velocity for good draft.

The insurance company may also require the liner.

Strongly consider the liner.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    YM3810D Yanmar

It will work no doubt especially if you at least go 5-6' up with some sort of exhaust pipe but seeing as how the pellet stove is a positive draft. (pressure)

You may not have much draft going up a chimney just dumping it in there there isn't much heat in a pellet stove exhaust a 3" liner/tube ran out the top would be fool proof imho. Now the stove wont work worth a flip if it has any back pressure so thats a consideration however you vent it. fwtw
    Yanmar YM3810D, LT duty 3pt hoe, 6' KK2 tiller, 6' KK box blade, 6 1/2' KK disc, 5' Howse bush hog, 5' Howse back blade, 9" Yellow PHD, 3 Husky chain saws 346XP NE, 359, 372XP. 07 HD Heritage Softail, Crack injectors, check compression, take 2 beers and call me. "Hey you didn't build that."

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2216

Below is a screen shot of the manual (Harman pellet stove) regarding a chimney install. The chimney is in good condition with the clay tile liner, so according to the manufacturer an install without a liner should be OK. The stove dealer recommends a liner, as well as some of the posters here, so I'm still not sure which direction to head in regarding going into the chimney.
    My alternative install would be about 72" of pipe at a 45 deg angle from the house wall to clear from under a porch roof and would be cheaper than the chimney liner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -pellet-stove-into-chimney-jpg  

Veteran Member

Stove shop told us that the liner is used to ensure no leaks and it is the right size (not too big). If your clay liner is in good shape, and not way big, sounds like it would work to just use it.
    2007 Kubota L3130, LA723 FEL
    Land Pride FDR1672 rear finish mower, Frontier RB1172, Koyker KB60 BH
    Pallet forks, Golf cart canopy bolted to ROPS, 9" & 12" PHD

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HSTC, MF 5455

Big problem without a liner, with an exterior chimney, a pellet stove doesn't produce enough waste heat via exhaust to make the chimney draft well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast