How much does this pig weigh?

/ How much does this pig weigh? #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
I have no experience with pigs and so I don't have any idea about how much this one might weigh.

More and more animals are being run out of the swamps as they rebuild the levees in our area. First it was deer and then coyote and now pigs.

My neighbor is an excellent wild game cook so I am looking forward to a cochon de lait soon.

Attachments

• pig1.jpg
    pig1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 547
   / How much does this pig weigh? #2  
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]
Kansas State University swine researchers recently completed a study to develop a regression equation to determine pig weight based on heart girth, and to validate its accuracy. Heart girth and body weight were measured for 100 growing-finishing pigs (50 to 273 lb.) at the K-State Swine Teaching and Research Center. Heart girth was measured in inches using a cloth measuring tape. The tape was placed directly behind the front legs, wrapped snugly around the heart girth and read directly behind the shoulders.

Heart girth was strongly correlated (r2= .98) with body weight, with the regression equation: pig weight = 10.1709 x Heart girth (inches) 205.7492. The 95 percent confidence interval shows the projected weight to be ア 10 pounds of the actual weight of the pig.

There are a few problems that may occur when measuring heart girth on pigs. Pigs often squirm or raise and lower their heads, which can cause variations in the measurement. A confined pig is easiest to measure with the cloth tape. We suggest taking three separate heart girth measurements and using the average. Misreading the heart girth measurement by 1 inch will result in a 10-pound error in weight. Averaging three measurements should more accurately represent true girth measurement.

So get out there with your tape measure.....:laughing::laughing::laughing: and measure that pig!!

James K0UA

[/FONT]

/ How much does this pig weigh? #4  
Put it down and find out! You know the state has declared open season on them and classified'em (Nussiance Animials). They drop many litters each year and have no natural predators, so they are over running the state like the nutria did a while back.

I say 150lbs

/ How much does this pig weigh? #5  
Sometimes hard to tell from a pic,but for fun guessing I'd also say 150 or slightly less.

Boone

(teeth pulled out for effect)

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 332
   / How much does this pig weigh? #6  
It weighs enough to eat :licking:

/ How much does this pig weigh? #8  
kOua, Thanks for posting that info. I have been looking for some of these mathematical ways of "weighing" livestock. Way back in the 1950s, at least in the UK, it was possible to buy what was called a Weightape (TM I believe) that was a cloth tape and used for cattle, pigs and lambs - just read off the weight on the tape. It was probably as accurate as the method you give. There was, and still is a slight problem in that animals of different lengths will way differently for the same heart girth. Different breeds have different lengths more so than animals within a breed, eg for pigs the British Middle White was a much shorter animal than the Danish Landrace. The same applies to cattle and sheep.

I mislaid my information many years ago, but there was a fairly simple calculation combining the heart girth and the length from between the shoulder blades to the tail head. No metric in Britain in those days so measurements were in inches. I have searched and asked all over these past few years, but nobody knows about it. Most of those who did are probably dead by now, but if anybody has the info I would love to have it.

/ How much does this pig weigh? #9  
Just over 100 Lbs. About 300 Lbs when you try to put them in the back of the truck :laughing::laughing: