Streaming movies &TV shows ..Dish, Netflix, Hulu ???

/ Streaming movies &TV shows ..Dish, Netflix, Hulu ??? #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
We just upgraded our Dish Network service and have the DVR connected to our broadband via. wifi with a sling..and I was under the impression that with Dish Networks ...Blockbuster Movie pass, Hulu ..we would be able to just click on a movie or old tv show with our remote control and watch it right then on the TV...but after spending an hour on the phone with Dish and Blockbuster agents...I find that each time we select something to watch it first has to be downloaded to our DVR and then only can we watch it ...hours or days later depending....

I just want to ask anyone familiar with Netflix, Hulu or Dish Movie Pass ...if this is the way it really works or can you click your TV remote on a movie or old TV show you want to watch and watch it immediately ....streaming to your TV...I am fine with that if that is the way it is for everybody ...but I want to be sure I am not missing something that prevents us from seeing it " On Demand " as they all advertise....Thanks.

/ Streaming movies &TV shows ..Dish, Netflix, Hulu ??? #2  
How much more did they charge for that feature? why not simply have it streamline through your computer into your TV? I think Netflix charges a monthly fee..... I'm wanting to say 7.95 but don't hold me to that:cool:
I'm actually in the works of setting up a media PC system as a second input device into our TV, I will be using window 7 OS that has the ability to use netflix programing, and if this works out I'll most likely drop my Sat service;)

/ Streaming movies &TV shows ..Dish, Netflix, Hulu ???
How much more did they charge for that feature? why not simply have it streamline through your computer into your TV? I think Netflix charges a monthly fee..... I'm wanting to say 7.95 but don't hold me to that:cool:
I'm actually in the works of setting up a media PC system as a second input device into our TV, I will be using window 7 OS that has the ability to use netflix programing, and if this works out I'll most likely drop my Sat service;)

It did not cost anything...I called them and complained that we had been a Dish customer for years and never had a DVR upgrade...and we were thinking about leaving them...so they gave us a new upgraded DVR , Sling next to our wifi modem and free HD for life as well as Blockbuster Movie pass ...streaming movies on demand...but the movies don't stream...When we click on an old TV show or Movie we want to watch on their Movie Pass site...it sets it to record to the DVR...so there is no streaming... So I hope you can tell me ..with Neflix or other services are you able to click and watch a Movie on your TV right then an there or is it a download and wait hours or days..?

/ Streaming movies &TV shows ..Dish, Netflix, Hulu ??? #4  
Blockbuster was added to my existing plan on dish and I stream to my lap top which I can connect to my TV and watch it there if I want to. With streaming this way you don't download the movie. It starts the stream and if you have the speed it will buffer up to one minute and in this way you can watch it all the way through in one setting. If your computer speed is too slow you have to pause a lot and wait for it to buffer.
With on demand it does just record it to the dvr. That's what I see when I'm logged in anyway.

/ Streaming movies &TV shows ..Dish, Netflix, Hulu ??? #5  
I do not have a DVR that is connected to the TV. We do have a PC that can record from Directv. I have been doing this for years. Unfortunately, we do not have network connectivity to the TV. Yet. I just ordered some Western Digital networking equipment that runs Ethernet over the power lines. I SHOULD be able to stream the TV content I have saved on my PC to the the TV. I should see how it works this weekend if I have time. My PC is setup to record certain TV shows which it has done very reliably for years. I have to free up disk space from time to time though. Once the shows are recorded I can watch them on the PC or in theory stream them to the TV. My understanding with Netflix, Hulu, etc is that they stream to the TV. I have heard that some services do allow you to save to a DVR and then play. I would rather save and play later since our DSL service is slow and not very reliable. I would hate to be watching a show and get to the good part and have the show stop or stagger. Once the power line network is running I will try to stream from Amazon Prime and some other sources to see how well they work. We are trying to get rid of Directv due to cost. Later, Dan

/ Streaming movies &TV shows ..Dish, Netflix, Hulu ??? #6  
I don' have Dish Network but I do have a Netflix account that I stream using my HD DVD player. Although the DVD player has WiFi I have it hardwired to my router and haven't had any issues with it. My Panasonic HD DVD player has a internet GUI that interfaces to Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora, etc. This works very well with Netflix. I can search for movies add to my queue and start the movie real time without issue. I'm not familiar with Dish Network's process but as a consumer it seems unreasonable to download and save to my DVR first before I watch a movie. It could be an issue with their interface to the internet and don't have a good and reliable method to stream. In other words, their technology can't handle streaming.

Doug

Blockbuster was added to my existing plan on dish and I stream to my lap top which I can connect to my TV and watch it there if I want to. With streaming this way you don't download the movie. It starts the stream and if you have the speed it will buffer up to one minute and in this way you can watch it all the way through in one setting. If your computer speed is too slow you have to pause a lot and wait for it to buffer.
With on demand it does just record it to the dvr. That's what I see when I'm logged in anyway.

Well I sure did misunderstand..the installer came out and installed a slinglink it is called next to our wifi modem and said we were all set...Not so...all we can do on the TV is record to a DVR on the Dish Movie pass movies and old TV shows we cannot watch streaming at all..so I ordered this from Wally world Walmart.com: Magnavox HD Streaming Video Player, TB600MG2F: TV & Video and I will install it...I also signed up for Netfix for $7.95 a month and if that works and the streaming works I will drop the Dish Movie pass and save that money and some of the movie channels.

I do not have a DVR that is connected to the TV. We do have a PC that can record from Directv. I have been doing this for years. Unfortunately, we do not have network connectivity to the TV. Yet. I just ordered some Western Digital networking equipment that runs Ethernet over the power lines. I SHOULD be able to stream the TV content I have saved on my PC to the the TV. I should see how it works this weekend if I have time. My PC is setup to record certain TV shows which it has done very reliably for years. I have to free up disk space from time to time though. Once the shows are recorded I can watch them on the PC or in theory stream them to the TV. My understanding with Netflix, Hulu, etc is that they stream to the TV. I have heard that some services do allow you to save to a DVR and then play. I would rather save and play later since our DSL service is slow and not very reliable. I would hate to be watching a show and get to the good part and have the show stop or stagger. Once the power line network is running I will try to stream from Amazon Prime and some other sources to see how well they work. We are trying to get rid of Directv due to cost. Later, Dan

As I said above I ordered this from wally world Walmart.com: Magnavox HD Streaming Video Player, TB600MG2F: TV & Video and hopefully like you I will dump at least part of the Dish Network charges...I read the 2 reviews and it seems to work...if I with my limited electronic brain can figure out how to connect it...LOL

/ Streaming movies &TV shows ..Dish, Netflix, Hulu ??? #8  
We have netflix. My friend picked up an xbox 360 (from pawn shop) came over and hooked everything up ... a router in the office one near the TV and on demand instant watching of netflix.

/ Streaming movies &TV shows ..Dish, Netflix, Hulu ??? #9  
I purchased a Wii for the grandchildren last year, I was also informed that the Wii has the same ability to connect to netflix, Brin if you have either one of these game consoles you won't need the Wally component you ordered,

We have netflix. My friend picked up an xbox 360 (from pawn shop) came over and hooked everything up ... a router in the office one near the TV and on demand instant watching of netflix.

Thanks blue...I do not have an xbox..I never thought of checking a pawn shop but I only paid $49.00 for this thing from wal mart and it is new...I just hope I can figure out how to connect it...you ought to see all the wires we have behind the stand...we have a DVD, VCR, Dish Reciever, home theater box and the tv is mounted on the wall, the router is in another room...it is wireless with wifi...so I have no clue where to hook what to what...I'll just have to see...Sure is getting hard to watch tv now days...:)

I purchased a Wii for the grandchildren last year, I was also informed that the Wii has the same ability to connect to netflix, Brin if you have either one of these game consoles you won't need the Wally component you ordered,

We bought a wii for our grand daughter but we don't have one..so I have to hope I have the smarts to hook this thing up when I get it...I may need help..please stay tuned...:laughing: