why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #521  
Getting involved in a domestic dispute is not a good idea. "Slapping her silly and roughing her up" sucks, but probably not life threatening.
In that situation, I'd call 911 and stand by to ensure the domestic dispute did not escalate (Hubby pulling a knife, for example).

Even cops hate domestic disputes....they arrest the assailant (not always the male), and the spouse comes running up beating the cops for arresting the very person who was beating on them.
Just not something you want to get involved in.

Having a gun on you should not tempt you to get involved at all.

+1 here, Been there done that, I called the cops and let them handle it, and I had a house full of guns. Like Roy said domestic violence is a really rotten thing to get into..When I was a cop, (long long time ago) it was the worst thing to be called on, at least that I remember. Having a gun on would make me even less tempted to get involved as a CCW holder.

James K0UA

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #522  
Stance and presentation has been all over the map and some people swear by the Isosceles and some Weaver, some knees bent and so on. I sure wish the "experts" would get together so we wouldn't all be so confused.

Just use the one that works best for you...

I never cared much for the Weaver stance. It just didn't work for me.

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #523  
Stance and presentation has been all over the map and some people swear by the Isosceles and some Weaver, some knees bent and so on. I sure wish the "experts" would get together so we wouldn't all be so confused.

:laughing:If you happen to be able to hit the target pretty consistently standing on your head with one eye closed, you can become the "expert" for that stance, and try to teach other people that's the best way to do it. And maybe get paid for it.;)

Young kid working the pistol range at our local Bass Pro shop told me the Todd Jarrett way was best. He didn't say it was Todd Jarrett, but that's what he was describing. Now I'll concede the fact that Jarrett's undoubtedly a better targer shooter than I (he's had a lot more practice), and I tried his method; nothing wrong with it, but it ain't for me.;)

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #524  
+1 here, Been there done that, I called the cops and let them handle it, and I had a house full of guns. Like Roy said domestic violence is a really rotten thing to get into..When I was a cop, (long long time ago) it was the worst thing to be called on, at least that I remember. Having a gun on would make me even less tempted to get involved as a CCW holder.

James K0UA

A domestic dispute got a good family friend killed in the line of duty in 2004. This was the only cop I could of called a friend :(
He went to a house with a history of domestic violence, He found the woman outside, a little beat up, he had back up with him, he asked her if the guy had any weapons and she said she didn't think so and that he was in the basement. My friend went down there by himself, and the guy opened up on him with a full auto M-16/ AR-15 clone. After a long drawn out stand off the guy killed himself. They said the officer was killed instantly, fortunately he did not suffer.

The killer was an ex prison guard that was not supervised while on probation for other crimes!

JB

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #525  
I just watched the Todd Jarrett Video. I have never seen that one. I taught that exact set of instructions for over 10 years at Bass Pro. Trust me guys if you follow those instructions to the letter you will be a better, faster, more accurate pistol shooter. Now if I could just shoot even half as good as TJ:)

James K0UA

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #526  
Some of you may be familiar with this guy, when I was at the range, I was given this link to help improve my shooting. Especially my grip, which had an instant improvement on my shot placement consistancy.

Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting. - YouTube

JB

I'd seen that video before...this time I downloaded it. Boy, that guy can shoot...I can shoot that fast too, but I'd have to move the targets closer (about three feet away).

One thing I do want to emphasize...the weak hand grip shown on that video works well with semi-auto's, but you do not want to wrap your hand around a revolver with the weak hand that high. The gases escaping from around the cylinder can tear into your skin. I recall (last year or 2010) that a guy almost took his thumb off (from the escaping gases) on a big bore revolver (a .454 or .480 Ruger, IIRC).

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #527  
I'd seen that video before...this time I downloaded it. Boy, that guy can shoot...I can shoot that fast too, but I'd have to move the targets closer (about three feet away).

One thing I do want to emphasize...the weak hand grip shown on that video works well with semi-auto's, but you do not want to wrap your hand around a revolver with the weak hand that high. The gases escaping from around the cylinder can tear into your skin. I recall (last year or 2010) that a guy almost took his thumb off (from the escaping gases) on a big bore revolver (a .454 or .480 Ruger, IIRC).

Yeah I didn't know if this grip was the gold standard or what, but it did instantly improve my shot placement. I was just using my free hand as a rest, probably more suited to a revolver, like you alluded to.

JB

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #528  
Yeah I didn't know if this grip was the gold standard or what, but it did instantly improve my shot placement. I was just using my free hand as a rest, probably more suited to a revolver, like you alluded to.

JB

I still use my weak hand to grip and steady the revolver, so it's not actually as a rest.
Try wrapping the strong hand around the revolver's grip (or stock, if you call it that) and bringing your weak hand up so the palm is solidly under your strong hand and the forefinger (of the weak hand) is solidly against the fingers of your strong hand.

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #529  
I still use my weak hand to grip and steady the revolver, so it's not actually as a rest.
Try wrapping the strong hand around the revolver's grip (or stock, if you call it that) and bringing your weak hand up so the palm is solidly under your strong hand and the forefinger (of the weak hand) is solidly against the fingers of your strong hand.

That's basically what I was doing with the pistol and revolver, not really just a rest. Gripping one hand with the other, but that method of holding the frame of the pistol with the left thumb helped stabilize the gun better. Definitely not my natural way of grabbing and holding the gun though.

JB

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #530  
Just use the one that works best for you...

I never cared much for the Weaver stance. It just didn't work for me.

That is pretty much what our trainers told us. We had about half and half Weaver and Isosceles. My youngest son has done quite a bit of training for civilian, military and law enforcement. Some departments will prefer one over the other, but when no such constraints exists, he uses what works best for the individual.

:laughing:If you happen to be able to hit the target pretty consistently standing on your head with one eye closed, you can become the "expert" for that stance, and try to teach other people that's the best way to do it. And maybe get paid for it.;)

Young kid working the pistol range at our local Bass Pro shop told me the Todd Jarrett way was best. He didn't say it was Todd Jarrett, but that's what he was describing. Now I'll concede the fact that Jarrett's undoubtedly a better targer shooter than I (he's had a lot more practice), and I tried his method; nothing wrong with it, but it ain't for me.;)

Funny you should mention that, but my son would shoot his handgun upside down to demonstrate sight picture, trigger control etc. This was taught to him and other trainers by a retired FBI Instructor. It impressed people, but didn't really mean much.

His boss at one job absolutely insisted on EVERYONE going through the class to follow to the letter the steps that worked best for him. I took a course and absolutely hated it and couldn't hit worth a darn as it went counter to years of training that conflicted.

What might work well in IPSC or other forms of competition does not necessarily work will in that OH S**T moment when you are off balance, scared, dodging, running for cover or whatever you are doing.

I do believe in the adage, "you fight the way you train"; just not sure dogmatic methods will serve you well when needed.

Jim Cirillo probably had more real life experience than anyone due to his years on the NYPD Stakeout Squad, but from what I saw of his technique it wasn't like something I would use nor the "experts", but it sure worked for him.

Of course no better than I can shoot, I might be better off with a nerf gun now; just some random thoughts of limited worth.