why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
The other day I decided to wear a pair of pants I don't like for a day of rough dirt work. No hip pockets and front pockets too shallow to conceal my pistol. So, no wallet or pistol for first time on ranch or off, since I got my CCL over 2 years ago. A friend and I were digging post holes on my property.

After a couple hours work, we took a break and drove to a different area to start a generator and pump water for the cows and put out feed. Did that then started back to work site via a different road.

Sadly, we discovered the body of an 18 year old female who had been shot elsewhere and dumped on my ranch. She was obviously dead from an apparent gun shot and I was acutely aware that I was unarmed and defenseless if the perpetrator were to show up.:(

Lesson learned....even on your own property a situation can arise where you might actually need your weapon!! The one time I didn't have it was the only time so far that I might truly have needed it.! Previously have always had it for numerous rattle snakes and varmints.

ALWAYS carry if you have it!!

www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/Wilkinson/woman-found-in-willco-was-shot-to-death
Woman found in WillCo was shot to death | KXAN.com

Last edited:
   / why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #2  
Sad story, but you are 100% right. The world is a different place from even 10 years ago. Drug crazed people are everywhere. There is little regard for a human life today.

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #4  
That is crazy that you found a murder victim right on your own property.

Yes it must of been a hollow feeling, knowing people are showing up dead around you and you have no "great equalizer" to defend yourself with.

I was gonna say your gun wouldn't of helped you much after the fact like that, til I started thinking of how I would of felt, isolated out there, with a body on the ground. Would of felt much better being armed.

Was it obvious she was dead, or did you approach to see if you could help her?

JB

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon
15 ft. away in clear view off road, we both were convinced she was beyond help and I called 911 immediately. We stayed on gravel road and did not contaminate the scene.

Had perpetrator shown up, clearly would have been armed and dangerous.

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #6  
15 ft. away in clear view off road, we both were convinced she was beyond help and I called 911 immediately. We stayed on gravel road and did not contaminate the scene.

Had perpetrator shown up, clearly would have been armed and dangerous.

Unlikely they would return there anytime soon after, unless they went the wrong way on a dead end road and had to come back through.

But if you stumbled upon the scene while it was unfolding, you may of ended up laying out there with her. Especially if you did not realize what was going on and you stopped to check it out.

You may wake up with the sweats some night, dreaming about the possibilities.

JB

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #7  
Lesson learned....even on your own property a situation can arise where you might actually need your weapon!! The one time I didn't have it was the only time so far that I might truly have needed it.! Previously have always had it for numerous rattle snakes and varmints.

ALWAYS carry if you have it!!

Absolutely right, John.

For those who have reservations about carrying, I offer the following website: Cornered Cat
quite a bit of information (not just for women). Some stats I gleaned from there:
Of the 83,920 rapes and sexual assaults committed by a stranger, 42% happened inside the woman's own home.
A very good reason to carry at home.

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #8  
I hate to admit it but as I sit here in front of my computer, next to my mouse is a loaded 9mm. I just ain't gonna be one of the ones who are going to say,
"If I could only have shot back".
I know, sounds a bit paranoid. There have been several 'home invasions' in our area.
My son was always reminded, "Don't enter the house unanounced at night. I sleep with a gun and I'm damned good with it".

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #9  
When we first got married, 39 years ago, my wife asked me to keep all my weapons out of sight. That was no problem since I already had a gun safe. She resisted all my attempts and efforts to try and convince her to learn to handle and shoot any weapon. Her resistance remained steadfast until we moved from Tennessee to Florida because of my job. After experiencing living in an environment that was riddled with crime and gang related activities, she finally approached me and finally asked me to teach her. I bought her a S&W 357 -cal revolver. I did not allow her to fire her gun until she became proficient in disassembling and assembling the weapon and learning all the other important factors involved in safely using and discharging her personal weapon. She aced her first live fire session, hitting the bullseye 5 out of five. She has a permit now, and even here in North Carolina, she carries it most everywhere she goes. Churches, public buildings, schools; etc do not allow guns on the premises. She does not carry her gun, because she is frightened or paranoid, but because she realizes that "Anything" can happen at "Anytime". :)

/ why one should ALWAYS carry your weapon #10  
I am sure that was an experience no one wants to happen into. Sure hope everything works out and they catch the scum that did this to another human being. Kudos for not contaminating the crime scene, if I may ask, where did you learn this? Not many people would think about contaminating a crime scene without a law enforcement background.