Property Line Hunters

/ Property Line Hunters #101  
johnrex62 said:
We gave up the lease a number of years ago when my dad wasn't able to hunt anymore and I didn't have enough time off work to afford it. My Dad's blind was a permanent ground blind about 3 feet off the property line facing down the road going up the hillside. It had been there for many years before we got the lease and as far as I know it is there still.

My stand was also permanent, but was built up in a tree about 30 feet off the ground. It was about 300 yards from my dad's blind toward the interior.

Sorry, my question was intended to the op

/ Property Line Hunters #102  
51 years in NH , 50 in the same town. Vote out the exemptions and my property along with most others will go on the market. Build more houses, increase taxes because of new schools and no room to hunt. I have 200 acres total in southern NH.

Then I can buy a house on a 1/4 acre and be like everyone else, use someone elses property withot paying for it. At this point I just don't want the hassles of unwanted tresspassers. Not getting in a pissing contest but just outside Manchester you have two rates of Current use, one opens up to the public the other doesn't. I do not have to post but if someone is abusing the property I can tell him to leave.

I had an abutter cutting a trail through my property, when questioned about it he said "I am a cop in Bedford" I know the law, when I offered to call his chief and review it with him he backed down and agreed.

I won't comment anymore on this topic.

/ Property Line Hunters #103  
EHR, I'm not trying to call you out on anything and apologize if I offended you. You have the right as a landowner to order anyone off your property regardless of which current use category you're in, but by simply opting out of the additional 20% (thought it was 10%) reduction doesn't automatically keep others off your land. Posting does that. To get a tresspass conviction one must prove that indication of unwelcomed transit was or should have been known to the tresspasser. This can be verbal or by posting. I don't post my land but have asked some to leave & made it clear they were not to come back. There are many that worry that current use/land access will go away soon. A friend has purchased 1100 acres just in case as he has lived where land access was by fee only, and wants to be able to hunt into old age. MikeD74T
Born in & lived in NH 62 years so far. Not many of us natives left.

/ Property Line Hunters #104  
I live 200 miles from my acreage (195 acres) so only get out every 2nd-3 weekends. I keep a couple of tractors and all kinds of tools. Tools and chainsaws etc and my kubota are locked in a shed but I do not even lock the cabin door. I have been pretty lucky. In part I have given a neighbour permission to hunt my land and he has put up some nice hand made no tresspassing signs. This year for the first time I invited 3 of my brother in laws to Deer and partridge hunt. Whats funny is I spent an hour dragging an 8 foot homemade scaffold out to an area near a deer trail. A couple of days later when boondocking off trail we came upon a nice aluminum deer stand not 50 feet from the one I dragged through the bush. I immediately figured it was my neighbour. Later on one of my inlaws found an arrow. Now I am not sure my 60 yearold farmer neighbour would bother with a bow and arrow. I would not remove or damage the stand as I am not around to watch my own goods should they wish to reciprocate. Guess I will just have to wait another 5 years till retirement when I can live up there permanently.

/ Property Line Hunters #105  
As far as I'm concerned, hunters are just a total PITA. We have had them walk around our property like they own it, from now on if I see a tree stand, the tree comes down and the stand goes on Craigs List. 2 years ago we had a buyer for a parcel of land, they were walking the property when 4 hunters stomped out of the woods, that blew the sale. If you are a hunter and want to hunt somewhere, buy your own land and stay off everyone elses.

If that blew the sale they didn't want it very bad.

/ Property Line Hunters
Is your dads stand right on the property line? Is your stand on the property line as well?

No...I would not be that hypocritical. Perhaps when I was younger I would have been. As it is Dad's stand is 40-50 yds in. If they would do the same it would be a much safer situation...and yes my Dad's stand was there first about 3 years ago in fact.
I think I would feel different if there were no stands around and they put it up, or if they had come and asked how I felt about it. But to just drop it in 60 yds from an existing stand right on the tree line facing the general direction of the stand is just silly when you have so much room to hunt.
I will live with it but I don't like it and I am going to stay on them about safety and ethics. I wouldn't want anything to happen to my Dad or for them to have to live with that.

/ Property Line Hunters #107  
No...I would not be that hypocritical. Perhaps when I was younger I would have been. As it is Dad's stand is 40-50 yds in. If they would do the same it would be a much safer situation...and yes my Dad's stand was there first about 3 years ago in fact.
I think I would feel different if there were no stands around and they put it up, or if they had come and asked how I felt about it. But to just drop it in 60 yds from an existing stand right on the tree line facing the general direction of the stand is just silly when you have so much room to hunt.
I will live with it but I don't like it and I am going to stay on them about safety and ethics. I wouldn't want anything to happen to my Dad or for them to have to live with that.

Well, if they didn't know your dads stand was there maybe they will move it when they see him there every day. If that doesn't work, make sure your dad shoots every deer and squirrle that comes by. It shouldn't take long for them to move it on their own in that situation :laughing:

/ Property Line Hunters #108  
Hunting fence/property lines is usually done but lazy people who would rather cut corners to achieve their goals at the expense of those around them. Property owners have the obligation to be stewards of the land and respect those around them. Land stewardship ensures that the property will be in better shape than what they found it in when they obtained it, so the next in line, whether it be a son or daughter or a potential buyer, will be encouraged to continue where you left off. This not only applies to maintaining the property but the relationships of those surrounding you. Poor practices, such as fence line hunting, may lead to more problems down the road. A common example is when the neighboring property changes hands and the new owners have a different view of fence line hunters and, where applicable, could deny them their usual right-away into their property if not accessable by a public road. Proper land owners will not fence line hunt, instead they will utilize interior sections of their property to install food plots and water supplies. With this, you can control how the animals enter your property and the angle in which you will take the shot. This method will also reduce the chances of you accidentally shooting your neighbor, their family members or livestock, as they enjoy their property. While hunting a fence line may be legal, it certainly isn't the smartest or safest practice either. It basically equates to a young driver stepping on the gas as soon as the light turns green instead of pausing a few seconds in anticipation of red light runners.

/ Property Line Hunters #109  
Hunting fence/property lines is usually done but lazy people who would rather cut corners to achieve their goals at the expense of those around them. Property owners have the obligation to be stewards of the land and respect those around them. Land stewardship ensures that the property will be in better shape than what they found it in when they obtained it, so the next in line, whether it be a son or daughter or a potential buyer, will be encouraged to continue where you left off. This not only applies to maintaining the property but the relationships of those surrounding you. Poor practices, such as fence line hunting, may lead to more problems down the road. A common example is when the neighboring property changes hands and the new owners have a different view of fence line hunters and, where applicable, could deny them their usual right-away into their property if not accessable by a public road. Proper land owners will not fence line hunt, instead they will utilize interior sections of their property to install food plots and water supplies. With this, you can control how the animals enter your property and the angle in which you will take the shot. This method will also reduce the chances of you accidentally shooting your neighbor, their family members or livestock, as they enjoy their property. While hunting a fence line may be legal, it certainly isn't the smartest or safest practice either. It basically equates to a young driver stepping on the gas as soon as the light turns green instead of pausing a few seconds in anticipation of red light runners.

Playing off your safety theory, wouldn't hunting the interior actually allow the hunter to shoot in the direction towards the neighboring property? Yeah, if they own a 1000 acres its less of an issue but someone who only owns 30-40 acres doesn't really have much range before their shot is entering the neighboring property. However, if they are hunting on the line and do not have permission to shoot on the neighbors property then their shot will be heading either down the line or onto their own property, much safer for the neighbor in that scenerio.

/ Property Line Hunters #110  
Playing off your safety theory, wouldn't hunting the interior actually allow the hunter to shoot in the direction towards the neighboring property? Yeah, if they own a 1000 acres its less of an issue but someone who only owns 30-40 acres doesn't really have much range before their shot is entering the neighboring property. However, if they are hunting on the line and do not have permission to shoot on the neighbors property then their shot will be heading either down the line or onto their own property, much safer for the neighbor in that scenerio.

Safety is not a theory. If you read the passage again, you will see that my suggestion would allow you to determine where the food plot would be, hence allowing you to control the angle in which you are shooting, which would be the safest angle depending on the layout of your property and those that surround yours. Shooting down the line has to end up somewhere and that somewhere may be someone working near that line. No matter what size a persons property is, if it isn't set-up for safe hunting they shouldn't do it. Just because it's legal on paper doesn't make it the must responsible thing to do. This is the same train of thought used by fence line hunters.