Property Line Hunters

/ Property Line Hunters #21  
In my state this is probably more of a problem than others, as my state is quickly becoming overcrowded, and there are a lot of small parcels out there that are crammed with hunters. I think you should try and convince the neighboring land owners that they should give you some space, and definately keep their friends off your property. I do, however, think a litle kindness goes a long way. I have seen guys come onto our land to track a deer they shot, and I have gone onto others for this same reason. If you go to war with your your neighbors or their friends, you may be out a deer at some point, especially if your only on 40 acres. Luckily for me, im hunting on more than 200 so the problem is a bit diminished, but i hear of people having similar problems all the time. Good luck with it.

/ Property Line Hunters #22  
I have the same problem. We acquired the farm this past spring and found a tree stand exactly on the property line out in the middle of the woods. Still haven't decided what to do about it.

/ Property Line Hunters #23  
I know of some who shoot guns on their land and make a racket when it's deer season. Get your tractor out, bush hog, cut timber, fix fences. Do anything and everything to make their time out there a total waste of time.

That's not how it works. When you are working outside, you become just another animal going about its business. I have plowed fields through thousands of Canadian geese, and all they would do is honk, hiss and waddle out of the way, then waddle back to peck in the furrow. Planting trees I have been within stones throw of turkeys, bobcats and deer. As long as I mind my business they mind theirs.

/ Property Line Hunters #24  
Wouldn't it benifit all of us to spend more time developing good relationships with our neighbors rather than marking and patroling property lines? What does it really matter if some decides to hunt your property line? Maybe you would like to hunt thier property line sometime.

/ Property Line Hunters #25  
I've got the same problem. My neighbor has a guy hunting on his place, the guy set up a tree stand just inside the line, overlooking my property. I've talked to the guy, I try to be reasonable, but he denies hunting on my property. Hunters will cheat every darn chance they get.

/ Property Line Hunters #26  
Wouldn't it benifit all of us to spend more time developing good relationships with our neighbors rather than marking and patroling property lines? What does it really matter if some decides to hunt your property line? Maybe you would like to hunt thier property line sometime.

It's not my neighbor's that are causing me problems. It's the people who hunt their property or their guests, or simply tresspassers. Not to mention poachers. After I woke up one morning and found my horses in the front yard because some idiot cut my fence so he could retrieve a deer that he shot in my pasture, I have been very sceptical of folks claiming that "only a few hunters" give the rest a bad name. Most hunters have very little respect for private property rights - If they don't have their own property to hunt on.

/ Property Line Hunters #27  
I'm not a hunter yet, but I'm trying to understand this. I understand the 4 wheeler issue, but the stand location one I don't get. Obviously, the stands shouldn't be on your property if you didn't give permission. For stands that are near the line, why does it matter? These people aren't actually shooting deer that are on your property when the shot is fired, are they?

/ Property Line Hunters #28  
I would say it is more typical for a hunter to set up a stand on a property line to look for deer on the other side of the line than within the boundaries of the land it is set up in.
Many of my friends are hunters but to be honest it seems to me that they lose their ethics during hunting season. JUST IMHO

/ Property Line Hunters #29  
I had my land surveyed and put T-posts in here and there around the property. I walk the perimeter each fall and either paint the tops of the posts orange or put some orange tape on each post. When the leaves are off you can sight down the posts and clearly see a 'property line'. Most hunters will notice this and stay on their side of the lines. I also move stumps and fallen trees to this line to block off areas that are more wide open. I never have had hunter problems, but the tree harversters sure don't care who's trees they are cutting down when they are in cutting. They see a nice straight vernier sugar maple they cut it first and argue second. Having the lines marked clearly makes good neighbors.....can't really put a fence in the woods.