Property Line Hunters

/ Property Line Hunters #1  

DwightD123

Silver Member
Tractor
LS R4041EZ
Looking for some tactful advice here. This past deer season I had my property squeezed in several directions by guys setting up right on the property line. In most cases they were legal on some it crossed. For those I put a very friendly note asking them to move their stands to where it did not cross property lines. I don't want to be an A-hole and start any wars but I don't want next season to be like this. I have already made contact with who I can and expressed my views for us to give each other some breathing room. Not sure if they are buying into it so I want to be prepared for next year.
If anyone has ideas that will channel deer away from specific areas that is what I would prefer. I have been thinking about felling trees and placing them on the draws these guys sat up on this year as well as clearing the edgelines while letting the interior grow up a bit. I think this will force the deer in different direction and keep them inside a bit more during hunting pressure.
Just to give some insight I have 40 acres and the other hunters have 150,230 and 80 acres so I don't have the only decent place to hunt.
Again I want to avoid going down the war path like setting up stands right where they are, setting up alarm clocks, etc...
I would rather be more passive about it. If it gets stupid and they get pushy I can always take it up a notch but I think I can handle this in a better way and still get the desired results.
Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

/ Property Line Hunters #2  
Direct confrontation can go either way, and I agree that in the long term, it's a last resort. Do the hunters on your land own the land next to you or are they hunting as friends of the land owner? Hopefully you know the landowner. I would first go to him and express your concerns and have him deal with his guests. He probably would be shocked to find out his guests are tresspassing on your land and hopefully he'll put a stop to it.

Posting it might work.

Walking up to them while they are there and informing them that they are tresspassing sucks, but you might not have any choice. I know of some who shoot guns on their land and make a racket when it's deer season. Get your tractor out, bush hog, cut timber, fix fences. Do anything and everything to make their time out there a total waste of time.

If you have to escalate it, take pictures of them and try to identify who they are. The game warden can only do so much, but if things are slow, they can cause an aweful lot of hurt to a guy who is tresspassing if they want to.

Eddie

/ Property Line Hunters #3  
Are the people on your line the owners of the other properties or their "friends"? I typically have more difficulties from other people than the actual owners of the adjoining properties. The answer could cause me to respond in different ways.

/ Property Line Hunters #4  
I had a great neighbor, his wife tramped around for about 6 years then came back and took his place. I had to have the property surveyed again, she began moving over, had trees cut. Had to put up a fence that wasn't nessary before.
Hope it is guests in your case, if you have good neighbors they'll take of it.

/ Property Line Hunters #5  
If they are actually coming onto your property setup trail cameras. A guy I work did this and presented the proof to his neighbor and asked them to stay on their property. If the offenders are staying within thief boundaries you can talk to them but it may do little good. On our lease I have found stands just inside the adjacent land owners fence that were clearly positioned to hunt our lease but there is not much we can do.

/ Property Line Hunters #6  
DwightD123, how is your property boundary marked? Is it possible they have no idea they are a little bit over the line? Is it actually a little or is it more like 50 yards or so.

What is your real objective? Is it to eliminate other hunters in the area completely or just for them to stay off your property so you can use it yourself?

Have you though about game fencing your property?

/ Property Line Hunters #7  
I have had this problem in the past. what you didn't specify is if your property is up against other private property of state owned land. If it is state owned land that is easy. Just let the DNR know they are leaving thier stand up on state property and they will be removed. That is how it works in my state.

No need to drop trees just to funnel deer. A bottle of coyote urine is pretty cheap. Most sporting goods stores carry it. Just pour it in a circle about 150yrd circumference around the deer stand in question. The deer will avoid that area like the plague ! The hunter will eventually get sick of not seeing any deer from that spot and move on.. ;)
( Caution: only open the coyote urine outdoors and wear gloves)

Read the game laws in your state. In my state if a deer is shot and runs onto private property you must get permission from the property owner to track it acrossed the property. If he says no, you are out of luck.. if this is also the case in your state, maybe let them know they will be trespassing and are not allowed to cross your property if you so desire.

Confrontation is probably the last resort. You have to remember that the are armed if they are hunting. And no deer is worth that kind of confrontation.

Last edited:
   / Property Line Hunters #8  
You could always go with wolf/coyote urine, it would scare the deer away. Ahh I saw someone else said that. I have that issue too on my property. I have gone through and reposted my line, and put white paint on the trees that I put signs on to make sure I remember where I put signs. Maby tsc will have a sale on barbed wire you can run on your property line.

/ Property Line Hunters #9  
Is the property posted? I see you are in Missouri and did a quick Google and found this: Purple paint law
Landowners may post or define the boundaries of their property by marking trees and fence posts with purple paint. In a court of law, a property boundary marked with purple paint is the same as posting "no Trespassing" signs.

Seems fairly clear that you can go nuts with the purple paint.

Having said that, On my 80 acres I have a fairly good idea of where the line is, but couldn't place it exactly other than in proximity to the corners. Lately I have been getting ore aggressive about posting the borders where I have a good idea where they are, especially where trails travers the border. But I tend to place the posted signs a bit back (like 5 yards or so) from where I "believe" the border is so as to not inadvertantly place the sign on the nrighbors land.

Love secsnick's thought about coyote urine. I might try just pissing around the stand myself, but then the deer will just pass out making it far to easy for the hunters to take them. :D

Last edited:
   / Property Line Hunters #10  
I use a product called "deer off" it comes in a battery powered dispenser and is made from many ingredients like urine, peppers and eggs. Best laugh I get is when I know they are wasting their day only to see nothing.
I have had many illegal hunters on my land and never approach them as I know that nothing good will come of it and the story will always change, I did have a neighbor who would set off large firework type rockets when he suspected illegal hunters on his land, I prefer a more stealthy approach but I have removed deer stands that were on my land including the one that was nailed into a tree with a posted sign on it...