Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader

Default Transplanting wild oak trees (small)

In preparation for a future house, Im planning to plant approx 40 - 60 oak trees on both sides of my driveway. I have considered using nursery oaks and may end up doing this, but I would like to dig up and transplant small oaks that are already growing on my property. Im talking small trees that are knee / waist high, and have a diameter approx. the size of my thumb.

1) Any suggestions on technique (digging up and moving) are wanted

2) Are there any "specific" tools (spades and shovels) that would make the job easier of more successful (Im wanting specific brands, shapes, designs, etc.)

thanks

Default Re: Transplanting wild oak trees (small)

Just make sure the digging equipment is sharp.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    bx1800

If you have the time to wait. Dig half around and wait a month or two before digging the other half. In the new hole put something that will hold water could be as simple as some shredded up newspaper or those gel things. Water every other day for a while then every third day and so on. works 80-90% of the time nothing is 100%

I have also when out and cut all the way around the tree with a spade and left it for a few weeks with luck. Get as much tap root as you can when you dig it up
    Kubota BX1800 60" mm deck , 42" land Pride box blade

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L210

Have you checked with your state conservation department, assuming Texas has one? here in Missouri, I can get bare root trees of many varieties from the state nursery for very little money. There are lots of different oaks, and they are hard to tell apart as saplings, but the state nursery knows!

Chuck

Texas Forest Service https://tfsapps.tamu.edu/wtn/StoreFront/index.aspx
    has bare root seedlings for $35 for 24 - 5 or 6 types. I planted a bunch last spring. They did great till the rain left then not so much!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

I've had the best success transplanting with this type of shovel: UnionTools - UnionPro 16-in Drain Spade with Fiberglass Handle and Ergo D-grip. Gets deep enough to clear tap roots on smaller trees. MikeD74t

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgreybear View Post
    Texas Forest Service https://tfsapps.tamu.edu/wtn/StoreFront/index.aspx
    has bare root seedlings for $35 for 24 - 5 or 6 types. I planted a bunch last spring. They did great till the rain left then not so much!
    I have used them 10-15 times, There was one in East Texas (Indian Mound) but it closed. Figure out what you want early and order since they go fast. The hardwoods I have received have been great growers (until this drought) and averaged 12-16" tall.
    Dennis

"Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

If there are things that will gnaw at them tree tubes might be good, or a piece of 4'' perf pipe that you use around the base to keep the weedwacker off of them.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

Quote Originally Posted by pharmvet View Post
    In preparation for a future house, Im planning to plant approx 40 - 60 oak trees on both sides of my driveway. I have considered using nursery oaks and may end up doing this, but I would like to dig up and transplant small oaks that are already growing on my property. Im talking small trees that are knee / waist high, and have a diameter approx. the size of my thumb.

1) Any suggestions on technique (digging up and moving) are wanted

2) Are there any "specific" tools (spades and shovels) that would make the job easier of more successful (Im wanting specific brands, shapes, designs, etc.)

thanks
    I don't know what kind of oaks you guys have down there, but oak trees up here don't grow too fast. Trees that are 4 ft high here now might be 20 footers in 20 years. I have used the state nursery here a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by 300UGUY View Post
    I don't know what kind of oaks you guys have down there, but oak trees up here don't grow too fast. Trees that are 4 ft high here now might be 20 footers in 20 years. I have used the state nursery here a couple of times.
    I believe NE Texas has similar climate to here in NC- fairly mild winter, hot, humid summers with around 40" rainfall each year. I had a white oak that volunteered in a flower bed and since there were no trees already in that side yard I let it grow. My son was 2 when I found that tree, and I think the tree was about the same age (knee high). 25 years later the tree is 50' high and the crown is probably that wide with a beautiful globe shape. I was sure happy I didn't pull that sapling up.

PH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast