Anyone ever eaten or taste Horse Meat?

/ Anyone ever eaten or taste Horse Meat? #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
I just read where the Gov. has lifted the Ban on horse meat inspections:confused: and this has me wondering has anyone ever actually eaten horse meat? and if so what does it taste like?:cool:

/ Anyone ever eaten or taste Horse Meat? #2  
I just read where the Gov. has lifted the Ban on horse meat inspections:confused: and this has me wondering has anyone ever actually eaten horse meat? and if so what does it taste like?:cool:

Horse meat is considered a delicacy in France. I have not tried it. Ken Sweet

/ Anyone ever eaten or taste Horse Meat? #3  
There used to be an abbatroir that packed horse meat for europe located in this town, My b-i-l's brother worked there and brought a crock pot to a family get together. He told no one what was in it and most people tried it, I thought that it was really quite tasty and had seconds. When told it was horse I thought that I would eat it again, it didn't bother me a bit that I had eaten horse meat. I never have eaten it since though.

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever eaten or taste Horse Meat?
I do love My beef steaks, and I wouldn't think the taste would be far from what cow would taste like, although horses are much more muscular built and would think it could be tough meat:confused:

Last edited:
   / Anyone ever eaten or taste Horse Meat? #5  
I come from Portland Australia and live animal export is one of the many things that are shipped out of our port , I remember quite a few years ago that four or five hundred horses were shipped to Japan from our port for human consumption . I guess they eat any thing , I have not eaten horse but I would give it a try . I ate cockroach and grasshopper in Thailand last April .

/ Anyone ever eaten or taste Horse Meat? #7  
40 years ago you could buy horse meat at the local grocery store. I have eaten it, and no, it doesn't taste like beef. It's a lot sweeter and leaner, so lean that the butcher had to grind some beef fat into it to make hamburger. Steaks grill up well, and it also goes well in stew. I never got a tough cut.

We're lucky to have the Wildlife Safari in my area, Wildlife Safari - Winston Oregon. The big cats can polish off a horse carcass in short order. There aren't even any rendering plants left. The last one in Oregon closed about 5 years ago.

/ Anyone ever eaten or taste Horse Meat? #8  
When I was a kid 40+ some years ago like Larry says we could buy it at the store (there was some reason that escapes me right now) and I remember mom fixing some and it was not bad at all in reality.

Now that was before she told us what it was and that was the last time me and my brother would eat it the principle of it ya know. :laughing:

/ Anyone ever eaten or taste Horse Meat? #9  
Had a horse steak of some sort in Columbia back in 1969, it was unremarkable!

/ Anyone ever eaten or taste Horse Meat? #10  
I think that is what my wife just served me for dinner:laughing: