Wood Stove - what temp do you burn?

/ Wood Stove - what temp do you burn? #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
I have a Vermont Castings - Defiant from the 1980's that is attached in my basement to a masonry flue - its about 28 foot run to the outside.

What temperature should I be running it at? I burn only northeast hardwoods - maple, oak, hickory etc.

Is 450-500 to low or just right?

/ Wood Stove - what temp do you burn? #2  
I like to keep my chimney temps between 300 and 550. Any lower and the creosote builds too fast due to incomplete burn. 450-500 sounds about perfect. Of course, the type of wood you burn plays a big factor. I wish I had access to your selection of firewood. Sounds like you're doing just fine.

Joe

/ Wood Stove - what temp do you burn? #3  
I have a Vermont Castings - Defiant from the 1980's that is attached in my basement to a masonry flue - its about 28 foot run to the outside.

What temperature should I be running it at? I burn only northeast hardwoods - maple, oak, hickory etc.

Is 450-500 to low or just right?

Scotty - do an online search for the manual. I think I have the same stove/vintage. I think you're right on the money. Flip the catalytic converter on and the Defiant works awesome - keeps the BTU's up there but lowers the chimney temp. I have a temperature sensor on my stove and a temp probe/warning in my pipe to watch.

/ Wood Stove - what temp do you burn? #4  
Can't help on the flue temp, but I had one of those models in my living room in a 1200 square foot ranch about 30 years ago. It would really heat the place up and hold a fire overnight.

Had to open the front door more than a few times. I should have bought the smaller unit but was not sure it would do the job. Live and learn.

/ Wood Stove - what temp do you burn? #5  
Had to open the front door more than a few times. I should have bought the smaller unit but was not sure it would do the job. Live and learn.

Ah the smug satisfaction of haviing it below freezing outside and opening the door a bit to let some of the heat out-- while the oil truck is filling your neighbors oil tank. :D

/ Wood Stove - what temp do you burn? #6  
I have an Xtec insert that usually burns at around 1200 deg. The temp probe is right above the catalyst.

/ Wood Stove - what temp do you burn? #7  
Where are you measuring the temp? 8-10" up from the stove on the flue or center of the stove top?

I don't have a cat, 550-600 center of stove top and 300ish on the flue.

/ Wood Stove - what temp do you burn? #8  
Where are you measuring the temp? 8-10" up from the stove on the flue or center of the stove top?

I don't have a cat, 550-600 center of stove top and 300ish on the flue.

/ Wood Stove - what temp do you burn? #10  
Our stove thermometer says we should burn between 300 and 500 degrees. Under 300 is the creosote zone says the thermometer.

I have noticed that when the fire has burned down and the temp will be at 300. I will load the stove around 250-300 degrees with new wood.

This is all with the air supply at the lowest setting. The only time we open up the air supply is when starting a fire. Once the temp is over 300 I close the supply to the lowest level.

With good quality wood and loading up the stove we can generate about 625/650 degrees with the air supply at the lowest level.

These temps have to be on the the low slide since the thermometer is sitting on top of the stove and attached to the double wall chimney. The sweep says the chimney is very clean.

Later,
Dan