Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar 2020D

Default Wood Stove - what temp do you burn?

I have a Vermont Castings - Defiant from the 1980's that is attached in my basement to a masonry flue - its about 28 foot run to the outside.

What temperature should I be running it at? I burn only northeast hardwoods - maple, oak, hickory etc.

Is 450-500 to low or just right?
    Thanks,

Scotty Dive
    Yanmar YM2020D "Git er Done Too"
    Pictures! http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=dfc00199.pbw
    Yanmar Tractor Database - Click Link, then click file and download the excel file.: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxR...it?usp=sharing

Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

Default Re: Wood Stove - what temp do you burn?

I like to keep my chimney temps between 300 and 550. Any lower and the creosote builds too fast due to incomplete burn. 450-500 sounds about perfect. Of course, the type of wood you burn plays a big factor. I wish I had access to your selection of firewood. Sounds like you're doing just fine.

Joe
    Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Tractor
    JD 2320

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Dive View Post
    I have a Vermont Castings - Defiant from the 1980's that is attached in my basement to a masonry flue - its about 28 foot run to the outside.

What temperature should I be running it at? I burn only northeast hardwoods - maple, oak, hickory etc.

Is 450-500 to low or just right?
    Scotty - do an online search for the manual. I think I have the same stove/vintage. I think you're right on the money. Flip the catalytic converter on and the Defiant works awesome - keeps the BTU's up there but lowers the chimney temp. I have a temperature sensor on my stove and a temp probe/warning in my pipe to watch.
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL, Frontier box blade, 54D MMM, LX5 rotary cutter, pallet forks, FEL plow, grapple

Tractor
    Kubota B2620, Ford 2N

Can't help on the flue temp, but I had one of those models in my living room in a 1200 square foot ranch about 30 years ago. It would really heat the place up and hold a fire overnight.

Had to open the front door more than a few times. I should have bought the smaller unit but was not sure it would do the job. Live and learn.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H

Quote Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post
    Had to open the front door more than a few times. I should have bought the smaller unit but was not sure it would do the job. Live and learn.
    Ah the smug satisfaction of haviing it below freezing outside and opening the door a bit to let some of the heat out-- while the oil truck is filling your neighbors oil tank.

Gold Member

I have an Xtec insert that usually burns at around 1200 deg. The temp probe is right above the catalyst.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Where are you measuring the temp? 8-10" up from the stove on the flue or center of the stove top?

I don't have a cat, 550-600 center of stove top and 300ish on the flue.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Where are you measuring the temp? 8-10" up from the stove on the flue or center of the stove top?

I don't have a cat, 550-600 center of stove top and 300ish on the flue.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Go to Hearth.com - Information on Gas Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, Gas Logs, Pellet Stoves, Fireplaces, Chimneys and Hearth Products they have a nice bulletin board community for wood stoves, boilers, pellet stoves, etc. Worth the visit
    TN75D, w/cab, FEL, BH
    7 1/2 ft Lucknow Blower

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

Our stove thermometer says we should burn between 300 and 500 degrees. Under 300 is the creosote zone says the thermometer.

I have noticed that when the fire has burned down and the temp will be at 300. I will load the stove around 250-300 degrees with new wood.

This is all with the air supply at the lowest setting. The only time we open up the air supply is when starting a fire. Once the temp is over 300 I close the supply to the lowest level.

With good quality wood and loading up the stove we can generate about 625/650 degrees with the air supply at the lowest level.

These temps have to be on the the low slide since the thermometer is sitting on top of the stove and attached to the double wall chimney. The sweep says the chimney is very clean.

Later,
    Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast